Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Vince's Present

The gift has now been unveiled. It is a smoker -- a Cookshack SM009 model to be exact! Vince was as happy with it as I had hoped he'd be. I can't wait to use it. Pulled pork is not something our family ate and I have fallen in love with it in KY. I have a pork butt all covered in rub and in the fridge to be smoked tomorrow. Takes about 16 hours to smoke an 8 pound butt so it will be Tuesday before we get to taste our first smoke. The smoker has to be seasoned before we can do meat and we didn't do it today because it was raining and snowing off and on all day today. I finished the top using the blue, purple and red fabric and have cut out another one that will have a plain (non-pieced) border. Here are the fabrics I'm using for the second one. The colors aren't very true in the picture but the one that looks blue is really royal purple. It's another stash quilt! The diagnosis on the laptop is sad! It's a hard drive failure. The good news is that I got suckered into buying an extended warranty so for once, it paid off. The bad news is that I have to send it off to be repaired and they say it will be gone 2 - 3 weeks. I hate using the desktop and for some reason, I just can't be creative while sitting at a desk typing on that monster computer. Vince would probably take my credit card but I'm seriously thinking about checking the sales to see if there's a notebook on sale. Never know what you might find in those after-Christmas sales. I was able to get all my patterns and EQ files onto the backup drive. Chad got a fly tying kit for Christmas and that was definitely his favorite gift. He has been tying flies all afternoon. He does love to fish! The prime rib turned out fantastic! I can't believe how easy it was to make. I used my Nesco roaster and it was so good! It was my first time to cook prime rib but I'll do it again. I hope you've all had a wonderful Christmas! Judy

11 Comments:

  • Whooooey!! Now THAT'S a smoker!! I hope your hubby will be thrilled with it!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 12/26/2005 05:49:00 AM  

  • So happy that the presents turned out to be exactly what they wanted..*VBS* That is such a great feeling. Love the fabric that you've chosen..and so great that they come from stash!! You go girl! Christmas blessing to you and yours..*S*

    By Blogger Finn, at 12/26/2005 07:55:00 AM  

  • Hooray for the prime rib! And, i know my hubby will want to come play with that smoker, oh my!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/26/2005 09:22:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    That smoker was an AWESOME gift idea! And I know how much you love to cook, now you will have super tasting smoked meat! And it's even more fun because Vince love it!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 12/26/2005 01:16:00 PM  

  • Oh wow! Can I come over for dinner? ;) I drool almost as much as my dog would over smoked salmon. :)

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 12/26/2005 10:26:00 PM  

  • What a great gift idea! Leave Vince with the smoling/cooking and have more time for the quilting???

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 12/27/2005 01:13:00 AM  

  • M-m-m-m the smoked pork sounds so good. I'll be craving it all day!

    By Blogger Deb Geyer, at 12/27/2005 05:19:00 AM  

  • I'm reading backwards... Love the gift. (I like smoked fish, so once Chad uses the flies that he has tied, Vince can smoke the fish! I have tried smoked trout and salmon - both were GREAT!)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/27/2005 05:30:00 AM  

  • Well, here is one post that has my DH interested! He wants to know when you try fish - how it comes out. We might be building an old-fashioned, traditional styled COLD smoker in Canada this summer for fish, but this is looking good to me - I don't want to sacrifice too much of my garden areas for a smoker! We have a great recipe for smoked blue fish pate around here somewhere... BUT - I don't really like fish, so the pork sounds yummy to me.
    Enjoy!
    -Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 12/27/2005 07:05:00 AM  

  • I just want to know---did Vince ever notice his gift under the quilts??

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 12/27/2005 08:28:00 AM  

  • Oh I'm so glad to hear the prime rib turned out wonderful! And the smoker does not look at all like I pictured! So I'm so glad you posted the picture. I'll be down for pulled pork - mmmmm love that stuff!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 12/27/2005 09:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home