Sunshine Quilts

Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Crazies

Whew . . it's crazy out there. Got kinda crazy here last night too. You all know how much I love my dog. Poor Speck . . his front right shoulder/leg is defective, not sure if it's a birth defect or from an injury, and every now and then, it kinda pops out of socket. It happens if he jumps and lands wrong (he has one speed . . wide open!) or if he's playing with toys and running and makes a sudden stop. The vet here doesn't really like to mess with it. Speck has an orthopedic vet in Indianapolis. Thankfully he has a satellite office near Paducah (in Murray) and if we're lucky, we can see him there. It isn't something that can really be fixed, the ortho vet can put him to sleep and get it back into place if we can't do it ourselves but Vince has been able to get it back in place pretty much all the time. I've only been able to fix it once. Last night I gave him a bath and he always gets real energetic after a bath. He was on the back of the sofa, jumped down to the seat part and landed wrong and there went the leg. Vince was at the other house, it was almost 10 and he was already asleep. Lucky for us, he loves the dog as much as I do so he came to town, popped it back in place and for now, Speck is good as new. I get so upset when it happens . . I have to learn to be more calm in frustrating situations. I swore I wouldn't go near the shopping areas any time in December but there was one more thing I needed so we could make Vince's gift work and I want to put it to use soon! :) Oh, goodness! That sounds funny. I've built this gift up so that you're all probably going to be disappointed when I post what it is. So, bright and early, I was at Lowe's. They didn't have it but thought Rural King might which is on the other side of town. Not really a big deal because town is pretty small but I decided to check Home Depot and they had one . . even better than what I was hoping to get. Then to the meat market where I had ordered a prime rib for Christmas dinner. To make a long story short, I left without the prime rib and will not go back to that meat market. From there I went to Kroger for a few things I needed. Seems as though everyone else was at Kroger today. Everyone was friendly and cheerful and they had plenty of checkers so it wasn't bad. Didn't get everything I needed because I was meeting Vince for lunch and it's quite warm out today so I didn't want to leave meat and milk in the car. Met Vince, ate, came home and unloaded everything, back to the Wal-Mart on my side of town for gas and the remainder of the groceries. I think I am set and I am not leaving home again til 12/26 or later! I'm kinda wishing I had planned to do Christmas at home instead of at the house in town. Is this the smallest kitchen you've ever seen? I can't imagine why anyone would have a kitchen this small. This picture was taken when we first bought this house. We've changed out the stove (has a smooth top 5 burner with a convection oven), put in a new dishwasher and changed out the stove vent for a microwave/vent unit. If you're standing at the sink, there's a fridge and pantry to your back, and a closet with a washer/dryer so what you're seeing is all the space I have. Worse than the space is that I have only one fridge here, and it's not a huge fridge. At home I have a huge kitchen but since I spend most of my time at the house in town and all my "stuff" is here, we decided to do Christmas here. I'm not complaining (sure sounds like it, huh?) but this two house situation has gotten a bit frustrating at times. We're having prime rib (first time I've ever cooked this), baked potatoes, salad, rolls and something with carrots. I have a great carrot souffle recipe but I think I saw something in a magazine that I might want to try. Dessert is a grasshopper cake and maybe some kind of pie. Nothing like knowing exactly what we're having, huh? What's everyone else having? Judy

8 Comments:

  • My kitchen is a little larger than yours, but doesn't have much more counterspace than you have.
    For Christmas dinner I'll pop the lasagna and chicken parmigiana that we ordered into the oven. We have an amazing Italian place near us that only makes meals to go. We ordered our dinner a few weeks ago and will pick it up tomorrow. That, a salad, bread and a Carvel ice cream cake will be dinner.

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 12/23/2005 01:18:00 PM  

  • Oh your dinner sounds wonderful! Tonight we are having leg of lamb for xmas because the extended family doesn't like it, so we do it for our family before hand. Then xmas eve we always have pork loin and twice baked potatoes. Then the tradition on xmas day is the xmas coffee cake. Later on Sunday is the Bears-Packers game. Most of our family of course are bears fans, but my husbands sister married a Packer fan from Green Bay - so that will be the afternoon/evening activity.

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 12/23/2005 02:41:00 PM  

  • I'm feeling lazier and lazier as the days go by and I hear about everyone's prep.... My son will be off with his father for much of Christmas eve (just home for midnight mass and sleeping, then is heading over there after lunch on Christmas for their family dinner. Me, I'll be enjoying a pizza, or maybe crab salad or whatever else I can quickly rustle up in the kitchen.

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 12/23/2005 07:57:00 PM  

  • Your poor sweetie baby Speck. Glad he's feeling better and has batting to snuggle in :) Good luck with the prime rib. I had an apartment with a tinier kitchen than that - the stove was so small that only two pots could fit on it at once and not very well.

    By Blogger Tonya Ricucci, at 12/23/2005 11:17:00 PM  

  • BBQ Brisket here!

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 12/24/2005 07:39:00 AM  

  • What is grasshopper cake?

    Good luck with the prime rib- my hubby didn't have time to type up his recipe for you, but I'm sure you'll do wonderfully!

    He's working on our prime rib right now. Today's menu was super sinful. Gingerbread waffles with fresh whipped cream and real maple syrup for breakfast. Assorted cheeses, breads, crackers and pate for lunch (plus shrimp). Now, the prime rib for dinner, with 2 kinds of potatoes, rolls, and who klnows what else. And, did i mention the oyster stew? And, my leftover burthday cake- candy cane ice cream cake from coldstone- for dessert. My god, I gained 5 pounds typing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/25/2005 03:22:00 PM  

  • Your kitchen is bigger than mine. You ahev to take out the dishwasher (including the counter top and upper cabinets) to get down to my size kitchen. Also where your counter justs out a bit, that is where my frig. is located. Forget about the window, that is where I have upper cabinets - but the short about the frig. kind... However, where your closet is located I do have a set of cabinets that jut out into my living space and create a "hallway" to the bathroom.

    Oh the luxury of a studio apartment!

    Hopefully, I will be in the buying market this time next year! I am paying for a wedding first!

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/27/2005 05:43:00 AM  

  • All that pooh-poohing about me, I forgot to tell you that the cats are sending purrs to Speck.

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/27/2005 05:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home