Sunshine Quilts

Monday, December 19, 2005

Teacher Quilts Delivered

Some days I hesitate to post because I get quite a few comments about the number of quilts I make. Please don't ever think I'm trying to say "look what I can do" because I'm not saying that all. What you may glean from my posts is that I don't have much of a life outside of my quilting. These pictures aren't great. It's 24 degrees outside and I was running in and out with a short sleeve t-shirt so I was just snapping and running back in. Don't ask me why that goofy tree in the background still has leaves either. It is some kind of oak and is always the last tree in town to lose its leaves and the last one to get leaves. Every year I think it is dead because it is so late in getting leaves and then I remember it seems to have its own calendar of when to shed leaves and when to get new growth. The schools here do semesters. When I was in school, we had the same classes all year (I think . . it's been too many years ago to remember). But here, they have four classes the first half of the year and then four classes the second half of the year. I make quilts for Chad's teachers for Christmas and on occasion, there has been an outstanding teacher during the second half so he/she will get a quilt for Teacher Appreciation Week. So, here are the quilts that were just delivered. This one was given to Mrs. Whitmer. She was Chad's "advocate" (would have called her the home room teacher when I was in school!). She's had Chad for the past four years so she has received several quilts. She likes purple. I love this crazy star pattern from Buggy Barn and will make another one for myself one day maybe. My friend, Becky, made one in reds and greens and it turned out really pretty. Might be a fun quilt to make for the holidays. This was a stash quilt!


This one was made from my Vienna Tiles pattern and given to Mrs. Gutsche who is Chad's English 4 teacher. I've never spoken to her so I suppose that's a good thing. They had to do lots of writing in this class and Chad isn't much of a writer so I'm sure she earned her quilt! :) It's quilted with the flurry of angels - pretty much overall feathers. This was a stash quilt!


Mrs. Koshy is the forensic chemistry teacher. I didn't speak with her this semester either .. another good thing. This is, of course, another Stack & Whack and wasn't included in the Stack & Whack quilts I posted the other day. Makes you wonder what else might be buried in my stack of quilts. It's kinda hard for me to give quilts to people I've never met, never even seen. Chad was no help but I'm thinking she's young so I hope she likes the bright colors.

Mrs. Markham is the Algebra II teacher and unfortunately, I heard from her often. And, as I recall, it was never good news. Sat to say but I'm thankful the school web page is down right now. I just tried to check Chad's grade. He exempted the math final so his final grade should be posted. Maybe I'll have a glass of wine (or two) before trying to check grades again! Anyway, Mrs. Markham's quilt was made from blocks that were from a one night beginning quilting class I taught several years ago. This was a stash quilt!

This one was given to Mrs. St. John who was the human anatomy teacher. This quilt was made from fabric a friend and I bought as a challenge to each other. It was the green/red floral. I worked on the blocks for a couple of years when we went to Georgia for Christmas. Glad to have it finished. I can't believe it but I didn't talk to her all semester either. I believe this is the first semester I have ever gone an entire semester without a conference with a teacher and looks like I never met three of his four teachers this semester. I'd like to think it's maturity on his part but I'm going to guess that the teachers feel by the time the kids are seniors, why bother?? There you have it . . the quilts are all in the hands of teachers and I hope they know how much I appreciate them having put up with my little darling for this past semester. Judy L.

18 Comments:

  • Wow Judy, wish I was one of your son's teachers! I'm amazed at all you accomplish...I don't think I have the attention span to do that much! Your quilts are beautiful, your quilting even more beautiful and I'm glad you share all of your work with us. It makes me aspire to create more time for quilting in my schedule and to make better use of the limited time for quilting I have. Thank you for your inspiration.

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 12/19/2005 01:24:00 PM  

  • Oh my lord, , like Carolyn, would like to teach Chad... These are lovely, and I hope the teachers appreiate them- and enjoy them! I wonder if teachers hope to get Chad in their classes in the hopes of getting such a lovely gift?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/19/2005 01:57:00 PM  

  • We, too, at our house have teachers who really earn their gifts some times. Of course, I don't give such elaborate gifts... I am giving a Stack n Whack this year to the principal who recently finished her Ph.D. It is a thank you for six wonderful years at a really tough school and congrats on your new degree present.

    By Blogger Jules, at 12/19/2005 02:04:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    WHEW!!! I'm so glad you got those done! One less thing to worry about! They are GORGEOUS and I know the love and energy you have put into those gifts. Chad's teachers are VERY LUCKY that he is in their class!
    Hugs
    Laurie
    PS(I LOVE seeing all of your work! Don't stop posting! AND...there was definite stash reduction going on there!)

    By Blogger Laurie, at 12/19/2005 02:51:00 PM  

  • OOOHHH! I want to be one of Chad's teachers! I am sure they are all going to LOVE their presents. And congrats on so many being stash quilts! THanks for sharing the pics!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 12/19/2005 06:09:00 PM  

  • I just know that Chad's teachers will love the quilts, and love the idea of knowing how much effort you put into the quilts for them - just like the efforts they gave to Chad.

    And don't ever worry about showing so many quilts. I can't get enough. And knowing the story behind them is great too. We all go thru flurries of finishing, so we'll get there too - maybe not as many at a time, but still. They are great!

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 12/19/2005 07:16:00 PM  

  • Hi Judy! Great work. Isn't it true to say that quilting is not only a passionate hobby of yours, but also your full-time profession? So, of course, you would get many quilts done - I am impressed that they are also all quilted and bound - I am assuming you also put labels on all those quilts?

    We all have favorites, I am sure. Mine is the Buggy Barn stars and I can see it working up very nicely in other colors too. But really, they are all nice.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 12/19/2005 11:17:00 PM  

  • Beautiful work, Judy! I especially like the Crazy Stars. I may have to make one.

    By Blogger Deb Geyer, at 12/20/2005 05:07:00 AM  

  • Wow, Judy, those are some lucky teachers! You are a very generous, giving person and your quilts are so beautiful. I like seeing the quilts that come from your stash.

    By Blogger Holly, at 12/20/2005 06:12:00 AM  

  • Wow what beautiful quilts and so many from your stash! How great is that! I love the fun funky flower quilting on that last one -very fun. I'd love to see that angel feather quilting sometime again - that looks pretty cool also. You better watch out - they may flunk him just to keep you around for gifts!!! :)

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 12/20/2005 06:12:00 AM  

  • I hope Chad tells YOU thank you in a special way. Your gift quilts are truly lovely!

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 12/20/2005 07:56:00 AM  

  • The quilts are beautiful Judy! I've never gotten the impression you were an overachiever..just one motivated lady who gets alot done! Those are awesome amounts to have finished and to have OUT of your stash! Love the purple and yellow, and that red stack and whack. Keep up the good work!

    By Blogger Finn, at 12/20/2005 08:35:00 AM  

  • Judy - Never worry about posting, it is inspiring and I get such good ideas looking at your quilts. Things I would never have thought of when it comes to fabric selection and pattern layout. I especially like the one you gave to Mrs. St. John.

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 12/20/2005 09:10:00 AM  

  • purple/yellow stars.... Which Buggy barn book? Mine has the chopped off star points - but yours is the one I want.....

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/20/2005 11:27:00 AM  

  • He exempted the math final so his final grade should be posted.

    How did he do that? I liked all of the quilts & hope that the teachers do too....

    I second (Third/fourth/fifth) the keep em coming line. It is inspiring to see all that you (or anyone else) gets finished.... It is motivating too!

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/20/2005 11:32:00 AM  

  • OOOOh Judy I love to see so many quilts. There can't be enough pictures from quilts for me. These quilts are a special gift!!!

    By Blogger Lucy, at 12/20/2005 12:12:00 PM  

  • The Buggy Barn star pattern is in their Gone Crazy book.

    Judy

    By Blogger Granny, at 12/20/2005 04:30:00 PM  

  • Wow - very generous, Judy. Love the purples and yellows in the star quilt especially.

    By Blogger Tonya Ricucci, at 12/21/2005 12:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home