Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Purple & Yellow -- FINISHED

This is the quilt that I struggled with a quilting design and had wanted to use as my entry for Paducah but finally gave up and went with my original plan for quilting . . something fun and not overwhelming for such a simple quilt.

I'm also putting up a picture of the back to show the quilting. There were still threads needing to be trimmed and a couple of "bird's nests" that need fixing. I should have used a print for the backing but I was afraid a print might show through to the front. My friend will use this one in her booth at the quilt shows this year. These almost solid backings aren't very forgiving and every little imperfection in the quilting shows. This was a *quick* quilting job and looks great from the front.

I had a really hard time getting pictures because it's been so windy. In fact, the wind ended up catching the quilt and toppling my display stands and both of them broke but I think Vince can fix them. I took probably two dozen photographs (I am not a photographer) and in most of them, the pink squares looked like Pepto Bismol .. which isn't a bad shade of pink but that's not the color of my quilt.

The name of this quilt is Cameron Square. This will be another individual pattern. We kept trying to come up with a name. Thanks to those who helped. I liked the "celtic" idea but many people who do not like celtic would have ignored the pattern because of the name. I also liked the flower names but with the brown/green one, I was hoping to attract some buyers who want to make masculine quilts. Chad told me it looked like the fields below when when you're flying. I thought it reminded me of the pictures of Cameron Parish, Louisiana after Hurricane Rita . . just various concrete foundations where homes and offices once were. In the pictures on the internet, it is impossible to tell where the town square once stood . . everything is gone! So, in honor of my friends and family in south Louisiana who are suffering so badly right now, the name of the pattern is "Cameron Square".

9 Comments:

  • Oohlala, Judy!!! I have to say...I'm glad you were stumped on this one...cuz I think it turned out just superb! Love it!

    And to Cameron's Square: This is my favorite of the two. I love your idea of the tribute to your LA loved ones and friends. You're awesome!

    By Blogger Darcie, at 12/18/2005 01:17:00 PM  

  • Wow, it looks great. I know this one was difficult for you, if only in coming up with an idea you liked, but, the finished product is lovely!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/18/2005 04:22:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    Those turned out PERFECT! I think the overall really did the quilt justice! Sometimes we just don't have to do a lot in order for something to look GREAT! KUDOS!!!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 12/18/2005 05:04:00 PM  

  • Judy, both quilts turned out spectacular! I love the quilting on the first one...even though it was quick it enhances the quilt and gives it a sense of whimsy. Great job!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 12/19/2005 04:58:00 AM  

  • Great job Judy, I think they turned out wonderfully, and should be a "hit" as a pattern. Interesting but not too difficult for gals with only intermediate skills. Good job!!!

    By Blogger Finn, at 12/19/2005 07:20:00 AM  

  • I think the quilting is nice.... Where is the pink? (I though those were lavendar's....)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/19/2005 07:36:00 AM  

  • Nice looking quilts! I could also see one in patriotic colors--especially with the square interlocking--would have some significance.

    This pattern would be good as a Signature quilt too for family reunions.

    Lots of possibilites here. . .

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 12/19/2005 07:48:00 AM  

  • What a great name - I love it! And how fun are those flowers in the purple quilt! Thanks for taking one of the back with the sun like that so we could see it! Now that is too fun!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 12/20/2005 06:15:00 AM  

  • I like the design on the purple and yellow quilt.Good color combination and pattern.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/22/2005 06:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home