Sunshine Quilts

Friday, April 14, 2006

Such a Mess!

My cutting area was out of control. I couldn't find anything and I couldn't stand it any longer. I hate to admit it but I've never been one to save scraps. Ends of strips, leftover squares, even sometimes leftover yardage .. in the trash. But that's all changed. I'm saving a few 1.5" squares for centers of log cabins but mostly I'm saving 2.5" squares/strips and larger. I don't have it all set up the way I want it but for here's a start. I used some plastic shoe boxes and then some little plastic boxes with flip tops. The strips are in the big plastic under the bed type boxes. Came home from the grocery store this morning and said to myself . . I can't stand this mess any longer so I got busy cleaning. It still wouldn't get me in the Good Housekeeping magazine but it's a heck of a lot better than it was. The bottom line is: I have too much stuff! I do not need more room, I need less stuff. That pile that's on there now is the current project. Think I can mess it all up again before dark? Yep, I know I can! Judy

8 Comments:

  • Okay, you're gonna make me clean off my sewing table, right? Looks good, Judy, but I almost had a seizure when I read you threw away big scraps and yardage! OMG. Girlfriend, I need to have a heart-to-heart with you! LOL ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 4/14/2006 12:05:00 PM  

  • Thank you for sharing your photos. Now I don't feel so bad!!!

    I have been tossing my scraps, but the more I read quilt blogs, I see people keep theirs. For strip quilts? I guess maybe I need to start saving!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/14/2006 12:32:00 PM  

  • thanks for sharing your mess, now maybe I can be brave and show mine!
    Good for you Judy to change your mind and decide to do a scrap saving system...nice work done!

    By Blogger Cher, at 4/14/2006 02:32:00 PM  

  • I love those plastic tubs for organizing fabrics. DH just put 5 new shelves for me in a closet and I have been organizing away - must be Spring in the air!

    I think the scraps are worth saving, you know - just in case I ever get around to making a crumb quilt or something! I hate to admit, but I even bought a scrap grab bag at a quilt shop 1X for $5 - all skinny strips for string quilting! Hey - there is an idea for you!!!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 4/14/2006 03:34:00 PM  

  • i am not brave enough to take a picture of my sewing room ! Especially not today as this room also has the one and only closet used for linens, winter coats, blankets, a few boxes of stuff.

    By Blogger Patty, at 4/14/2006 04:52:00 PM  

  • the after picture looks like you can at least get to the table top to cut or trim. That should be a big help!

    By Blogger Linda C, at 4/14/2006 07:35:00 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing - just what I needed today :-)) Don't overdo the scrap saving. I am practising flinging mine and it is so freeing ;-) I am just back from Ikea and as I don't have a sewing room, just a corner of my living room, to sew in, DH treated me to a small high table ( carving table ?) for cutting fabrics. It will be nice to let the dinner table be a dinner table again :-)

    By Blogger Hanne, at 4/15/2006 06:04:00 AM  

  • Mine looked like that for a while, and now it's tidy - but who knows for how long LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/15/2006 05:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home