Sunshine Quilts

Friday, March 31, 2006

Almost Home

We're all so tired but I think Speck has the best way of expressing himself. We arrived at the hotel near Memphis shortly after 5 p.m. Speck went straight to the bed and every time I tried to pick him up, he rolled over on his back so it's almost impossible to get him off the bed. That hotel in Lake Charles was possibly the noisiest place I have ever stayed. Seems like every door that closed on Floor #1, #2, #3 or #4 shook the entire hotel. The first couple of nights, there was a group of about 20 teens and they were up and down the halls . . running and slamming doors til wee hours of the morning. I was once a teen and then I was sometimes a chaperone on youth group trips so I wasn't about to complain. The third night they were gone and we were so happy to have some peace and quiet. NOT! The elevator went out and our room was right next to the stairs. One morning before daylight, there was a woman/man fist fight with lots of screaming and hollering in the parking lot right outside our window. But last night had to been the worst. We set the clock for 5:45 and went to bed at 10:30 so we would get a good night's sleep. Didn't happen. I can almost always fall asleep before my head hits the pillow . . unless there's a lot on my mind and last night there was so much on my mind. I kept tossing and turning, Vince was already asleep and snoring so finally around midnight I got up and went to the sofa. The last time I looked at the clock, it was 1:30 and I still wasn't asleep. There was so much door slamming and running in the halls. I finally fell asleep and at 2:10 Vince woke up and realized I was not in bed so he comes in the living room and wakes me up to see if I need anything. Do I look like I need anything? I am sleeping!! Never went to sleep again. Chad had spent the night at mom's and we told her we'd be there at 7 a.m. to get him and I knew he wouldn't be up and dressed til 7 so we got there on time to get him and we had said our goodbyes and were on the road by 7:30. We drove about 10 hours today and will have a bit over 5 hours to go tomorrow . . piece of cake! I drove the last 3 hours of the trip and had to turn my "Cookie & The Cupcakes" CD up full blast to stay awake. We'll all get a good night's rest and be ready for the short trip home tomorrow. Owensboro and my little house will look really, really good! :) Judy L.

11 Comments:

  • That baby was tired! What a doll!

    I'm glad you're almost back in KY. You've got a bunch of memories to tide you over until your parents get there for graduation!

    Let me us know when you get to the house!

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 3/31/2006 06:39:00 PM  

  • That is the part I hate about hotels...the other RUDE guests...ARGH...drive safely Judy! There's nothing beetter than your own bed! Speck looked comfy! ;o)
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 3/31/2006 07:51:00 PM  

  • Welcome home!

    I'm looking forward to a trip home to Indiana in June and am wondering if I can get on line somehow while gone. How did you do your posting while you were traveling? I assume you have a lap top and used dial up connection in the hotels... Or did you have a different set up?

    By Blogger Deb Geyer, at 4/01/2006 06:36:00 AM  

  • sounds like a nightmare for getting any sleep at that hotel! oh, I would have been such a wreck with so little sleep. I know you are going to be thrilled to be back in your own home...tonight!

    By Blogger Cher, at 4/01/2006 08:42:00 AM  

  • There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home.

    OK it worked for Judy Garland, it will work for Sunshine Judy too! Hurry home!

    By Blogger Pam, at 4/01/2006 08:59:00 AM  

  • Hope you had a more restful night in my hometown than you did in Lake Charles... :) and a safe drive home too!

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 4/01/2006 09:38:00 AM  

  • Stay safe...

    My cats are currently refusing to leave the tiny space under the bed or the "hidey hole" - a cat spot on the cat tree...

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 4/01/2006 11:17:00 AM  

  • Hope you're home safe and cozy now!

    By Blogger  Jeanne, at 4/01/2006 07:56:00 PM  

  • Speck looks bushed ! Travelling is so hard on everyone, bet you will be happy to sleep in your own bed again.

    By Blogger Patty, at 4/01/2006 09:39:00 PM  

  • That picture of Speck says it all! I'm glad you had a great time with family even if the hotel stay left something to be desired.

    By Blogger Holly, at 4/04/2006 01:53:00 PM  

  • There is nothing like coming home to your own bed - I love to leave on an adventure and I love to come home! The last leg of my trip with Little Boy - 6 hours 1 day (should have been more like 4, but we hit traffice), 2 nights at a sister's house, 6 hours and then finally 7 hours the last day (but the last 90 minutes was on a ferry, so we could get out of the car and stretch!). But 10 hours? You get the award! Looks like Speck is a good traveler though.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 4/11/2006 04:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home