Sunshine Quilts

Monday, April 10, 2006

Dog Names

Jane asked me how we got Speck's name. Years ago we had watched some little old man on HGTV doing folk art chairs, tables and things. I can't remember if his name was Speck or if that was a nickname. Chad was probably 9 or 10 and he and Vince were always coming up with goofy names for each other. Vince started calling Chad "Speck" and he would get so mad. Then it was 3 or 4 years later when we got Speck. We were driving home from the next county over (Speck is from Ohio County, KY) and we were throwing out names. We were thinking of calling him "Buzz" (Vince is a Georgia Tech graduate), then Vince called Chad "Speck" and since the dog is kinda speckled, Chad said 'Hey, that's a good name for him!' and so it was. My first dachshund was named Soccer. Kristy, my niece who is now 31 (she'll kill me if she reads this) was 3 or 4 and she had imaginary friends, Steve & Linda. When I brought the dachshund home, she said "Oh, he looks JUST like Soccer!" We asked who was Soccer and she said he was Steve & Linda's dog so .. that's how he got his name. I think we might get another one . . Vince mentioned it today. Not quite sure I'm ready for that but puppies are so cute! Maybe a wirehaired?? Maybe after a good night's sleep, I will come to my senses and realize a second dog is NOT what I need! Judy L.

9 Comments:

  • A cat... ;)

    You most definitely need to get Speck a cat of his very own. lol

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 4/10/2006 11:05:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    The stash quilt below is great!!! I can hardly wait to see the borders that go on there.

    Love the dog name stories as well!

    I have to get going on the longarm too...(sigh)...6 quilts await me and they all say "NO RUSH"...i just hate that...give me a date please!!!

    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 4/11/2006 05:37:00 AM  

  • Oh what a cute story!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 4/11/2006 06:10:00 AM  

  • I was wondering about Speck's name. Wonderful story! Another doxie? Go for it!!!

    By Blogger Vicky, at 4/11/2006 06:41:00 AM  

  • Maybe Speck would like a pal to play with. Your niece sure had a good imagination! Almost makes you wonder if they were real people!!

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 4/11/2006 08:44:00 AM  

  • I really like the design in the stash quilt ...they look like fair pinwheels to me Judy!

    By Blogger Cher, at 4/11/2006 04:15:00 PM  

  • We always had a dachshund growing up. Our first one was Fritzy and when he passed we got Major Jo. He was a part of our lives all my growing up years and long afterwards. I have long been a lover of dachshunds!

    By Blogger Laura, at 4/12/2006 09:34:00 AM  

  • Ahhh pet names. I prought home an abandoned kitten, called it Ester, only to find out 3 months later it was a boy! Quick name change to Mouse (due to the big ears) and all sexual confusion ended... then we were just left with species identity issues :-)

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 4/12/2006 11:16:00 AM  

  • Great way to get a name for Speck! How fun.

    By Blogger Darcie, at 4/14/2006 04:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home