Sunshine Quilts

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Quilting and more Quilting

I'm not going to post the entire quilt picture yet because the customer hasn't seen it but I love the way this turned out. It was a fun one to quilt. This girl does excellent work. I had planned on doing some cross-hatching in the border but when I began marking it, some of the triangles have extra pieces and that would have made the cross-hatching not line up with the nine patches so we had to come up with another plan. I think she'll be pleased. Finished this one yesterday, then had a T-shirt quilt to do that came through the quilt shop. Ugh! It was difficult. The lady had used the stretchy kind of interfacing so instead of stabilizing the quilt, it made it more stretchy. She had also used t-shirt knit for sashing and a t-shirt knit for the backing so nothing was stable. Got that done. Then I loaded a quilt for Betty (LQS owner). Not sure what the pattern is but there's some big rick-rack on it and I had fits doing a panto with that and not getting the rick-rack folded over the wrong way. Yesterday, I had planned to finish the yellow quilt, load the T-shirt quilt and then do some piecing on the snail trail quilt. Then when I realized the T-shirt quilt was going to be difficult, I decided to go ahead and quilt it and get it over with. Then I decided to load Betty's quilt and then do my piecing. When I realized it was going to be a struggle with the rick-rack, I decided to go ahead and quilt it and get that over with and just spend today piecing. Went to bed at 1 a.m. but I finished all the quilting and will deliver everything to the quilt shop tomorrow. So, I was going to spend today piecing. It's noon and I haven't touched the sewing machine. But when I finish this post, I'm heading to the sewing machine. I decided to go through some of my older quilts and share some pix. Here's one that I did several years ago. I did real cut-away trapunto in the border and used Rainbow thread in the quilt. It's all batiks and it's from Debbie Caffrey's Scraps to You, Too book. Judy L.

22 Comments:

  • Your quilting is wonderful. I'm sure she'll love it.

    You pack more into a day - I hardly did anything quilt related yesterday - I did end up piecing some around 10PM but have one final border to do before finishing up a small string top.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 4/19/2006 10:28:00 AM  

  • I don't know how you do it...especially with all that little stippling! I did that to the quilt I finished this morning (which has been on the machine for 2 weeks!)and it took so long! I'm very impressed...the quilt is gorgeous, please share the whole thing!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 4/19/2006 10:46:00 AM  

  • Wow, that is so beautiful Judy, love the quilting. Anxious to see the whole thing.
    You do such good work.

    Love your quilt too. the colors are great and the quilting extrodinary as ususal !

    By Blogger Patty, at 4/19/2006 12:20:00 PM  

  • You have been BUSY! Those customer quilts sound challenging- esp the T-shirt quilt! As always, your quilting is amazing, and I love seeing that older batik beauty of yours!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/19/2006 01:11:00 PM  

  • wonderful "older" quilt-thanks for sharing and good for you to work so hard to get those challenging quilts quilted! very impressive.

    By Blogger Cher, at 4/19/2006 01:38:00 PM  

  • What wonderful quilting Judy - you're an inspiration with all that you accomplish and do.

    Doodlebug
    Gail L.

    By Blogger Doodlebug Gail, at 4/19/2006 06:07:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    I love the blue one. Trapunto is gorgeous.

    By Blogger Ramona-quilter, at 4/19/2006 07:39:00 PM  

  • GORGEOUS Judy! Your customer can't help but love it! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs
    Laurie
    PS...the tshirt quilt sounded like a nightmare!

    By Blogger Laurie, at 4/19/2006 08:39:00 PM  

  • You do such beautiful quilting! I'm sure the client will be thrilled :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/19/2006 11:19:00 PM  

  • Amazing detail work, Judy! Good for you for just crossing the yucky stuff off your list - all done now so you don't have to worry about it and can get back to piecing.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 4/20/2006 03:18:00 AM  

  • You did wonderful quilting, and I hope we get to see the whole quilt :-) Older quilt is also looking very good and inspires me to go do some work on my sewing machine. Good for you to be done with the not so easy costumer quilts too

    By Blogger Hanne, at 4/20/2006 04:31:00 AM  

  • I love your quilting on this piece! You are a ver talented long-armer! I am also working on a client's T-Shirt quilt. It is my first one so I hope mine isn't as bad as the challenge you were working on.

    By Blogger Silverthimble, at 4/20/2006 04:48:00 AM  

  • Wow, your customer's quilt and quilting look great! I can't wait for you to show us the whole thing! And your Debbie C quilt with the trapunto is beautiful.

    But most of all I can't believe everything you got done - the T-Shirt quilt and the Ric Rac quilt all quilted! Good for you to get it done and out of the way!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 4/20/2006 05:32:00 AM  

  • They're all just stunning, Judy! Really stunning!

    Your work is so beautiful!

    By Blogger Vicky, at 4/20/2006 05:32:00 AM  

  • Judy, you amaze me with your quilting. What you have is definitely not learned...you were born with it. I can't wait to see the rest of the quilt. :o)

    By Blogger Tracey, at 4/20/2006 05:44:00 AM  

  • Judy those are just gorgeous! I don't post often but I love to read your blog and see your quilts, you are my biggest inspiration!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2006 05:52:00 AM  

  • The quilting is beautiful, Judy! I'm going to set that up as a goal to achieve.

    Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger Deb Geyer, at 4/20/2006 06:09:00 AM  

  • Love the batik quilt & I can't wait to see the who customer quilt! (I love what you did on those triangles... Almost makes me want to work on my Baltimore Albums, as one of them will have big triangles.)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 4/20/2006 08:02:00 AM  

  • Really awesome quilting Judy!! I love what you did on that scrappy 9 patch.

    It's fun to see people's older quilts. Even as rapidly as you finish up quilts(which is amazing!) it still would be hard to come up with a post every day or two.
    We can all enjoy, learn and become inspired by the older "finishes" too! Hugs, Finn

    By Blogger Finn, at 4/20/2006 08:48:00 AM  

  • Beautiful quilt. I can't wait to see the picture of the entire thing.

    By Blogger tami, at 4/20/2006 12:04:00 PM  

  • Beautiful quilting, love those colors :) you do great work! xoxo melzie

    By Blogger Melzie, at 4/20/2006 01:04:00 PM  

  • wow Judy--you do some awesome quilting! And you sound like you get them in and out fairly quick, I'm sure that's experience, but I think you are just plain good! thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger Passionate Quilter, at 4/20/2006 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home