Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Battles We Choose & A Quilt in Progress

I'm pretty easy to get along with most of the time. Since Vince is Sicilian, I can't always say the same for him! :) So, I choose my battles very carefully. Here's one I think I may have won by subtly convincing him I am correct. I hate TV. I detest going to the movies. If someone wants to torture me, make me sit through an entire movie. I think there's something in my physical makeup that just does not allow me to sit for hours staring at a screen. On the other hand, Vince can turn the TV on when he gets up in the morning, sit in front of it til time to go to bed and then turn the TV on in the bedroom til he falls asleep. Chad can take it or leave it. He likes Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc. and he's a huge movie buff. That kid has a zillion DVD's (thus no money for a car or college!) but he has his priorities! :( I've asked for years to get rid of the TV's. My preference is to have one tv for local news/weather and now with the internet, I can get my news there. With the cell phone, the local TV station has some kind of weather alert where they call when there's a warning so I really could probably do without any TV's. That's probably not going to happen though. Anyway, yesterday we were at Sam's and Vince was commenting that it's just outrageous the price people are paying for entertainment these days. I kinda looked at him and laughed. I think we're paying about $75 for Dish. Not sure if that's right but that's the figure I used and I told him that in 10 years, we've probably paid $9,000 to Dish for what?? I just don't get it how he can be such a frugal person with the "things" we buy but then turn around and blow that much on staring at nothing and wasting valuable time. He must have thought a lot about it because he told me this morning that he's cancelling Dish. I have my vices - I love old gospel and old country music. My XM is either on Hank's Place (13) or Enlighten (34). Til last week, Enlighten was only available on XM through the internet but as of last Monday, it's a real satellite channel. Vince, of course, hates both those channels and likes the 70's music or the more current Nashville music. I can live with both of those -- just keep the TV off! I suppose there's two sides to every argument. If I were to sit in front of the TV and not sew (thus, not buy fabric), it would probably be less expensive. I'd hate to calculate what I've spent on fabric in the last 10 years! Ughhh . . let's not even think about it. Here's the top I've started with the fabric I bought last week. I'm having a bit of a dilemma about one of the borders but I'll hopefully make a decision on that today and get it done. It's about 50 x 50 now but will be 85 x 85 I think when finished. I needed to add another fabric because if I didn't, and if all the outer rounds wer that same dark red, there would have been two rows of the same fabric together and I didn't want that. Everything in the stash was too red or too orange or too pink. After making a huge mess by digging for all the reds I could find, I chose one. In the picture, it's the obviously pinky one but I don't think it looks so pink in reality. Too bad if it does . . it's in there now and it's staying. I'll use some more of it in the border and hopefully that will make it all ok. Judy

6 Comments:

  • Another beautiful quilt! It has the flavor of a feathered star - without those tedious feathers! I'd definitely like to make this one! Can't wait to see it all finished up!

    For as much complaining as I've done about getting my TV connections all straightened out, I really don't watch much TV. I just want it all working, just in case. News in the morning while getting dressed, and maybe a movie at night. Listen more than watch because I'm always stitching.

    No, don't add up 10 years of fabric purchase. Vince would croak if he saw that number! LOL

    (((HUGS)))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 4/23/2006 10:46:00 AM  

  • I like the striped fabric in your blocks - adds some great texture. Looking forward to seeing it with it's borders. Watch out! your DH might get a hobby that costs more than the dish LOL.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/23/2006 11:18:00 AM  

  • I think it looks marvelous Judy!!

    Very antique and fadey looking..I like that!! And I totally hear you about the TV business. Glad that DH finally heard you..*VBS*

    By Blogger Finn, at 4/23/2006 03:29:00 PM  

  • I grew up with no TV, but Mom rented one for the winter Olympics for us!

    I had a friend over the other day to watch a movie and after about 10 minutes I hopped up and cut out fabric strips while watching - can't just sit there - can't help myself!

    Your quilt is looking great so far.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 4/23/2006 06:31:00 PM  

  • Not too pinky - kind of makes it glow in the centers.

    TV - definate love/hate relationship there! I like to have it on the the background while I sew, but I am picky & so I spend far too much time finding the right thing to watch.... DH could spend hours watching sports....

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 4/24/2006 07:11:00 AM  

  • I love it. I think it looks great!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 4/25/2006 06:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home