Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, March 26, 2006

A Cajun Crawfish Boil

Saturday morning mom and I went to the quilt show. Dad and Vince went looking for something for dad's tractor. The quilt show was very nice, saw some old friends and lots of pretty quilts. Didn't buy a single thing . . NOTHING! Can you believe it. After the quilt show mom and I met Vince and dad at Cotton's to get my favorite hamburger in the whole world! No place like Louisiana! My niece, Kristy, is married to a real cajun, Wayne, and they're so funny. I love to be around true cajun families. The crawfish boil was at Kristy & Wayne's house. They have three little girls. Wayne's sister, Toni, and her husband and three little boys were there. Wayne's brother and his girl friend were there. Wayne's mom and dad (I went to high school with them) were there. Mom and dad, Vince and I and Chad were there. I think that was 19 people there and there - 13 adults and 6 kids. They boiled 100 pounds of crawfish and we ate them all! So, here's the pictures of the crawfish boil. First you put them all in a kid's swimming pool and wash them off. Sometimes they purge them using salt water but I will spare the details of that process. Here they are taking a bath before going into the spicey hot water. Damon is braver than I am . . I wouldn't stick my hands in there with those live crawfish! In the second picture, the ladies are sitting patiently waiting for crawfish, potatoes and corn to be done. While some of the men are working getting the crawfish done, some of the men are taking it easy . . like dad and Vince! Once the crawfish are almost done, they pour them into an ice chest for a few minutes to finish cooking. It's really easy to overcook the crawfish and then they're mushy and not too good. Wayne is a fantastic crawfish cooker .. probably been doing it since he was knee high to a duck! Last of the pictures for today is a picture of my niece, Kristy, with her baby. Kristy is just so cute (maybe I'm a little biased but she really is pretty!). You'd never believe she has three girls, the oldest one is 8-1/2. Today we went to mom's for gumbo for lunch, hung out there til mid-afternoon, came back to Lake Charles and I was hoping to eat boiled crabs at my favorite crab dive (Crab Palace but now it's called Seafood Palace) but they are closed on Sunday. Decided we'd go to my favorite Mexican restaurant, Casa Manena, and they closed at 3 so we missed them. Ended up eating Chinese buffet! :( Came back to the room and one of the larger suites was available so we changed rooms. Now I have plenty of room . . a huge table with 8 chairs. Wish I had my sewing machine, rotary cutter, etc. Judy

15 Comments:

  • Love those crawfish boils! Your get-together looks great, especially with a real-live Cajun cooking those mudbugs!! xoxox

    By Blogger Vicky, at 3/26/2006 06:38:00 PM  

  • Interesting for a midwesterner to see! Looks like great family fun.
    BTW: Loved looking at all your quilts today on the APQS site...saw your picture with Fall Splendor and thought 'that's JUDY...golly she's good!' The ribbon doesn't look too shabby either. Keep going...

    By Blogger Linda (Petey), at 3/26/2006 07:13:00 PM  

  • There is nothing like your favorite foods from growing up. Nothing ever compares. :>) Thanks so much for sharing your trip. I love travel and if I can't go I like to hear about other people's trips.

    By Blogger tami, at 3/26/2006 07:48:00 PM  

  • Wow, does that look like fun. So glad you are having such a good time with your family

    By Blogger Patty, at 3/26/2006 08:08:00 PM  

  • Sounds like you are making up for lost time, Judy. Both with spending time with your family and enjoying those restaurant favorites.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 3/26/2006 08:48:00 PM  

  • What a great trip you're having...although I could probably do without the crawfish! Dissected one once in high school...that was the last time I was close to one! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 3/27/2006 05:40:00 AM  

  • Looks and sounds like you're having lots of fun, Judy! Cheers to family!

    Vicky said that the crawfish taste like lobster...only tinier. Yum! Melted butter, too?

    I'll be out on the soonest flight to Cajun country!!! ;-)

    By Blogger Darcie, at 3/27/2006 06:29:00 AM  

  • Looks like you're having a wonderful time!

    By Blogger Joanne, at 3/27/2006 06:54:00 AM  

  • I have to tell you about my FIRST crawfish "ball"! I worked with a fellow from LA, and when his wife finally joined him in KC, she called us and invited us to a crafish ball at her house. I accepted, we chatted a bit,and then I asked what I should wear. She hesitated a little bit, and then said I could wear jeans or anything comfortable, of cawse! I hesitated just long enough to reply that she figured out that I really and truly thought it was some sort of dance we were going to instead of eating! LOL! Loved them for sure! Thanks for sharing the trip with us!

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 3/27/2006 08:14:00 AM  

  • LOL- your crawfish swimming pool is my son's sandbox...

    Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2006 09:23:00 AM  

  • Oh what fun! I've never seen a crawfish boil! I'm so glad you shared it with us!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 3/27/2006 11:59:00 AM  

  • Nothing like food from home to make you feel good!
    Lynn

    By Blogger Lynn Dykstra, at 3/28/2006 05:26:00 AM  

  • Looks like fun Judy! I'm glad you're having a great holiday.
    Wendy

    By Blogger Wendy's Quilting, at 3/28/2006 07:35:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    It sounds like you having a great trip! Enjoy!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 3/28/2006 09:26:00 AM  

  • Sounds like you're having a WONDERFUL time!!! I love hearing about all the foods!
    Jeanne :)

    By Blogger  Jeanne, at 3/28/2006 01:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home