Sunshine Quilts

Friday, March 24, 2006

Made it to Louisiana

We did stop as we entered Louisiana so Norm could have his picture taken with the Louisiana sign. Goodness, Norm is a little guy . . you have to look hard to see him sitting down there on the first step. Norm is such a good traveler. He could teach Chad a few rules of the road. Next stop was our favorite crawfish hole -- Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles. Norm was happy to look but I don't think he had any interest in tasting the mud bugs! It's always so good to get crawfish after not having them for a year. Next stop was the hotel. I think AAA needs some serious help with their rating system. Granted we're traveling with a dog and finding a hotel that allows pets isn't always easy to do but . . I wouldn't call this place a dump but I'll be real happy when check out day arrives. The first thing we noticed upon arrival was that the roof is (or was) covered in tarps. This is a picture of the hotel taken from across the street. Notice the tarps? Yes, there was a hurricane here 6 months ago and I understand the construction work is going very, very slowly here. We get in the elevator and the maintenance guy is in there. I ask him "when it rains, does it leak?" He said "I ain't saying a word!" I said "But, does it leak in the rooms when it rains?" His response - "I ain't saying a word!" This is something hanging down from the roof .. not real sure what but it is dangling outside our window. The whole place smells funny. You know how it smells when people try to cover up stink with too much cheap smell good. My dad told us the hotel had 8 feet of water during the hurricane. That probably explains the smell. The good news is that we've been here a few hours and I'm starting not to notice the smell. After being here 7 nights, I'll probably think this place smells normal. Despite the damage from the hurricane, this is still such a pretty place. This is the sunset overlooking the lake. The I-10 bridge that I don't want to cross is in the picture too! The best news is . . tomorrow there's a quilt show across the street at the Civic Center. Some of the vendors are staying in this hotel and I talked to them in the parking lot. Oh, I can't close out this entry without sharing this picture. My dad is the funniest man! We were looking at some storm damage pictures and I just had to share this one. Dad was cutting limbs off the roof and somehow one managed to pop him in the face. He had a cap on one of his front teeth and it got knocked off too. He turned in his dental bill to FEMA and they wouldn't pay it! :) Judy

11 Comments:

  • gosh, Norm is having too much fun, I want to trade places with him! Thanks Judy for the updates and photos.

    By Blogger Peggy, at 3/24/2006 06:43:00 PM  

  • Oh, you snooker! I came rushing home with my take-out to see if you made it, only to find a picture of crawfish!! I'm dying here!

    You know, Judy, in spite of the blue tarps and the smell, it still looks awfully good to me! I miss that old bridge!

    Have fun tomorrow at the quilt show!

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 3/24/2006 07:26:00 PM  

  • Norm looks good, seems like he is enjoying the trip. That is quite the plate of crawfish ! Did you eat them all ????
    Have fun Judy and I cannot believe that FEMA didn't pay for your dads dental bill, what a silly government !!!!

    By Blogger Patty, at 3/24/2006 07:58:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    Glad you made it safely and that the hotel is smelling normal. Norm does look small! And crawfish...I just love that at Copelands!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 3/24/2006 08:40:00 PM  

  • love the update on Norm's travels...and food..I hope the quilt show is fun..

    By Blogger Cher, at 3/24/2006 10:41:00 PM  

  • So happy that you made it safely, and are settled in for your visit. Hurray for a quilt show!! Have fun!

    By Blogger Finn, at 3/25/2006 07:48:00 AM  

  • A quilt show AND crawfish? What could be better, Judy?

    Really...I'm not sure about crawfish. Remember...I'm waaay up north! What do they taste like?

    Oh...let me think...chicken?

    Glad you're safe and having fun! Can't wait to hear more!

    By Blogger Darcie, at 3/25/2006 10:18:00 AM  

  • Your poor dad getting popped in the chops. Thanks for taking us along on your travels.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 3/25/2006 10:47:00 AM  

  • Ouch! Poor Dad....Hi judy I'm a judy too, and it looks like you are showing Norm a great time.... Norm is coming to visit me in Toledo In Aug...and the crawfish leave a little bit to desire...to me that is.....Well it was nice meeting you and thanks for sharing your trip....

    By Blogger Judypatooote, at 3/25/2006 02:19:00 PM  

  • We took Chesty when we went to Florida for 10 days in January and stayed at Residence Inns (Marriott). They were nice but we were in 3 different hotels - Orlando, Tampa, and South Florida and they charged us $75 a stay just for the dog.

    I imagine even the nicer hotels may still be dealing with the hurricane issues.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 3/25/2006 06:50:00 PM  

  • Judy? Where are you? I'm dying to know about the quilt show and what else you're eating!!!

    Darcie, just think of crawfish as teeny tiny lobsters! LOL

    By Blogger Vicky, at 3/26/2006 04:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home