Sunshine Quilts

Friday, February 10, 2006

The Way We Live

As I was looking through my webshots photos tonight, I came across pictures that made me stop and think. We have this whacky setup with the house in town and the house in the country. The plan was to sell the house in town and move back to the one house in the country when Chad graduates in May. Now it's looking like Chad may go to Community College so we may keep the house in town and then there's the chance we might sell both and move on to a new phase in our lives. But, look at the difference. The house in town is on a postage stamp size lot with houses as far as you can see . . lots of little houses. The house in the country has few houses within sight. I'm such a chicken though. Everyone tells me I should feel safer at the house in the country but I feel safer at the house in town. My friend and I were talking the other day and she said she feels safer out in the country and we decided it depends on how you grew up. I grew up in a neighborhood with houses all around and that's how I feel more secure after dark. I love having the house in the country where I have a clothesline and no "rules" about what I can do and when I can do it. This, of course, is the house in town in December, 04 when we got 20 inches of snow. Looking to my left, there are houses and more houses. The driveways here are barely long enough for one van to be parked outside the garage -- definitely an advantage when it comes to shoveling snow. This is the back yard . . pretty much the entire back yard right here! There is a little spot of grass on the left side and a little bit bigger spot of grass on the right side but not much at all. I do have a few herbs growing and managed to get some tomatoes, cucumbers and eggplants planted last year. The good thing is that I can cut the back yard with the battery operated weed eater before the battery runs out of juice. Here's the driveway of the house in the country. It takes a LONG time to shovel this one and it goes downhill and uphill again before getting to the highway so you really need to have it clear of snow and ice before trying to get onto the highway. Not a good driveway for winter. This is Vince and Chad working on the lathe but it shows the the driveway and part of the front when things aren't covered in snow. I think Chad was making either a bowl or a rolling pin for me that day. Those two together are dangerous! :) And, last is another day with Chad working on the lathe but it shows the back yard. The house is my closest neighbor (the one with the blueberry bushes right there on the fence line). They're nice neighbors and they don't mind that I love blueberries and have none of my own! They have about 15 acres and they have chickens and horses and they share fresh eggs when I'm home. As you can see, there's a pretty vast difference in the house in town and the house in the country!

14 Comments:

  • There's no competition in my book, the house in the country has it hands down, and the neighbors are STILL too close! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/11/2006 04:13:00 AM  

  • Hmmmm, maybe you have the best of both worlds Judy! I know all about running more than 1 household. Keeping the town house so Chad can go to community college is probably cheaper than him going to 4 year university (tuition plus lodging plus a meal plan), so maybe it is just meant to be to keep both for awhile.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 2/11/2006 04:48:00 AM  

  • What different worlds you live in... Maybe you could "move to the country" for a year and try it and giving Chad a "house" of his own for a year. Then you'd truly know if country living was for you. Friends of mine who tried doing that found out how much time the were actually on the road (for dinners out, movies, work, school, everything really...) and hated it others. Others fell in love and never came back to the city.

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 2/11/2006 06:18:00 AM  

  • Pixie, I lived in the country for 5 years before we got the house in town. We only bought it when DS started high school and we wanted to spend less time on the road. I do like it out there .. just not sure what we'll do.

    Judy

    By Blogger Granny, at 2/11/2006 07:08:00 AM  

  • No competition for this country girl! I could NOT imagine living around people. Give me the wide open spaces and fresh country air...and you got yourself a happy gal. :o) I love going out late at night and listen to the night sounds and walk around threw the yard (while Sadie is doing her 'business'). I can't imagine doing that in a town and feeling comfortable doing it. You're right...it may be just how we're brought up.

    By Blogger Tracey, at 2/11/2006 07:21:00 AM  

  • This is EXACTLY the dilemma we're in with this house in the suburbs and the other one up in the mountains. Life can be so confusing!

    By Blogger  Jeanne, at 2/11/2006 07:27:00 AM  

  • When I married Wes I had my own small house in town & he had the estate house in the country. Brent had decided to move to a dump near the university. After one semester he decided to move back to my house (I was already gone & thrilled but had to let him decide) and live there & commute to school. He pays me a token rent & his own utilities, is safer than college area housing and I don't have to worry about my house being trashed by renters or getting it sold. It is the best situation and if he stays in the Houston area after college, I will consider selling it to him. He already calls it his house and that's fine with me.

    It just might be good for Chad too. He could get a roommate (Brent has his girlfriend, who also pays rent to me) to offset some costs. I would make him totally accountable. Brent does the yard and small maintainence items, keeps it presentable for the Home Owners Association, etc. and I think it has been a growing up experience for him. He was just not the dorm/frat kind of kid & houses around U of Houston are dismal at best.

    When Laura told me cars of guys were following her home from class, I told them I wanted them in the suburbs. Why pay a landlord when they could have all they wanted in my house? They quickly saw the advantages. Yea!

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 2/11/2006 09:37:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    Loved the house story! I believe you are right...it's all how we grew up...

    And great BNP's...I have one downstairs but it's not cut out...it's one of my "to do" quilts!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 2/11/2006 10:17:00 AM  

  • Judy, I was raised in cities, and am still much much more afraid of wildlife than muggers, and of wide open spaces than dark alleys. I really think it is all how you grew up. We're in the burbs for the first time in our lives, as opposed to the actual city, and it's just odd. I may never get used to it.

    Whatever choice you make, housewise, I know it will be the right one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/11/2006 03:37:00 PM  

  • We also have the Condo in the mountains and a house in outside of Atlanta and we talk about the perfect setup for us.

    I think eventually I'd like a place actually in a city - within walking distance to shops and resturants AND a place in the mountains or at the beach whichever ends up being closer to the city we choose.

    Being in Florida this week makes me miss living her a little. I would never want to live in South Florida again but could probably be convinced to go back to the Tampa area as long as we were near the water.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 2/12/2006 09:04:00 AM  

  • you have it all, you are both the city mouse and the country mouse !

    By Blogger Patty, at 2/12/2006 04:26:00 PM  

  • I grew up in the city and have always lived in one. I've always longed to living in country though. Whenever I get the chance to stay with someone in the country I feel so much more at peace. My grandparents were farmers and I often think I got it from them. Maybe someday Lord Willing.
    Wendy

    By Blogger Wendy's Quilting, at 2/13/2006 04:03:00 AM  

  • I love the country life but envy the city life. I can just imagine all the free time I would have just from not spending so much time on the road. It would be a hard decision!

    By Blogger Laura, at 2/13/2006 10:18:00 AM  

  • Oh I would take that house in the country no doubt about it! But I think you have it figured out. I grew up in the country so feel comfortable there. You may be right about you growing up in the city.

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 2/15/2006 07:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home