Sunshine Quilts

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Sewing Machine Blues

I just keep wanting a new sewing machine. I've blogged about it not too long ago. I suppose the only reason I haven't gone out and bought one is because I don't know which one I want and .. because Vince doesn't think I need one and, in my heart, I know he is right. But, darn it . . almost all my friends have new sewing machines! Good grief! What would I tell my son? It doesn't matter what all your friends have . . you do not NEED another sewing machine. If I were buying a machine today, what would I get? I've been a loyal Bernina fan for so many years but I don't think they're what they used to be. I love that the Janome 6600 has the built in even feed system but I don't need all that extra "stuff". All I ever do is make a 1/4" seam and sew on binding. I used to think I'd buy a Pfaff but someone bought them . . can't even remember which company. So, I'm kinda at a loss as to what machine I'd get. I've been sewing on a Singer 301 and it is a good machine but I hate the 1/4" foot that I have. I've tried so many and while I don't detest them, I am not in love with them. Today as I was working on those 4" log cabins, which is torture, when I was sewing the blocks together, because of the bulk, I could not get a 1/4" seam. The presser foot would either slide off and I'd get about a 1/8" seam or it would just sit there and make a zillion stitches in the same hole. I'd finally had enough so I got out my plastic table and set up the Bernina 1230. Oh, my! That machine sews like a dream. I forgot how much easier it is when the needle always stops in the up position. The stitch is perfect. The tension is perfect. I don't need a new sewing machine! :( I've asked Vince to bring the cabinet over here for me this weekend . . which probably means I'll have to go home because the 930 is in the cabinet and I am not sure where the little plastic insert is for the 1230. I suppose he could just bring the 930 and I could use it. For what I'm doing, the 930 will be great too. The problem is -- there is not one square inch in this house that isn't full so I'm going to have to do some re-arranging just to find room for the cabinet, When you see the picture of the 1230, do you notice Ursula in the corner? Chad put that on there when he was 2 or 3 and he's now 18. I love having that sticker there and remembering him running around while I was trying to grab a minute to sew. At the time, we were living in Jasper, TX and had a big fenced back yard. I was so desperate for sewing time, I would take a table and extension cord outside and set the machine up under the porch so I could sew while I watched him play. Hard to believe that was 15 or 16 years ago. Judy L.

14 Comments:

  • Judy,
    I can't believe you have resisted the urge to buy a new machine! GOOD job though!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 2/07/2006 06:53:00 PM  

  • Already owning too many sewing machines, I recently purchased a Janome Gem Gold. It is small, inexpensive, travels well and sews a perfect 1/4 inch seam. It doesn't have all the extra stitches, but I now piece and bind all of my quilts on it. I only pull out the Viking when I need a good satin stitch.

    And I thought I was the only one who lugged my machine outside to watch children playing in the yard!

    Debby

    By Blogger Debby Brown, at 2/07/2006 07:10:00 PM  

  • That's my machine too! I have also always been a Bernina fan and have had this one for 16 years. I think you are right about Bernina's quality lately thougth. I purchased a 200 a year ago and I have had nothing but trouble with it since I brought it home. I got it back after having the main board replaced in December and now it freezes while I am embroidering and has to go back into the shop. I was planning to replace my 1230 for a newer model, but have decided it will have to last me until either Bernina gets their act together or until I find a brand I like as well.

    By Blogger tami, at 2/07/2006 08:48:00 PM  

  • Way to go Judy -- might as well save that money for a fabric party as have another machine! Glad you've re-found one that'll be less frustrating as I don't know much more frustrating thatn a sewing machine that doesn't sew properly (for whatever I'm doing)

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 2/08/2006 05:33:00 AM  

  • Love the story of Chad and the sticker. Reminds me of my own life when the kids were small. I have been going through the same tug of war about a machine. Can't make up my mind.

    By Blogger Laura, at 2/08/2006 09:41:00 AM  

  • Judy, I have 2 of the newer Bernina's and couldn't be happier with them, they still have the most gorgeous stitch on the market, and are really a joy to use. I have the 730E for embroidery (just got it) but traded in my old 170 last year for the 440QE, it's my piecing and quilting machine, and I've never been so in love with a machine! I think you should take a look at them again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/08/2006 11:06:00 AM  

  • I think 1230s are like a gold mine! They sell extremely well on ebay (around $1000) And I never hear anything but praises for that machine. I did eye it long and hard when I was looking for my Bernina, but I just couldn't justify the price. Ok, I couldn't justify the price to my husband. :P

    Instead, I got a Bernina 150 QE for $700 with my parents paying $500 of it and I adore that machine. All problems with it turn out to be user error. Definately a dream machine for a young quilter. My only wish is for a larger throat space for free-motion quilting, since having a long arm machine is years away. :)

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 2/08/2006 01:59:00 PM  

  • You have a friend here who does not have a new sewing machine ! I have a simple Brother that we paid just about $100 for at Wal-mart. Before that I had a machine from JC Pennys that I sewed every single bit of clothing, underware included for 20 years. I dream of a new one too, but its a want and not a need at this point : (

    By Blogger Patty, at 2/08/2006 04:59:00 PM  

  • I hear you can't beat the old Bernina's so I think you probably have a jem. I have 2 Pfaff's and love them, but I bought them between 4 and 6 years ago, so I don't know how they are today. So if you don't buy a new machine you can go buy more fabric!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 2/08/2006 05:09:00 PM  

  • I am considering a new machine too, even though I have 2 wonderful machines, plus a spare. My eye is on the Juki TL-98 Q - it comes with speed control, even feed foot (I think that is built in) a 1/5" and 1/4" foot, has a 9" throat so more room for free motion quilting and... goes at a record 1500 rpm sewing speed! I would LOVE to strip piece at 1500! Wow! And I know it is probably goofy to want this mechanical machine because I have 2 computerized machines, but it is so tempting! So, I totally relate to wanting another!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 2/08/2006 11:54:00 PM  

  • Aww what good memories! (I am getting a new machine & she will be a Pfaff, I have tried out several and looked at all of the doodads that they have and I think she will be the best fit for me.)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 2/09/2006 12:52:00 PM  

  • Such a dilemna..new or no new..what is a girl to do??? Sounds like you are making the best of it by setting up the Bernina. If its meant to be I'm sure a new machine will put in an appearance..*VBS* You do great work with what you tho..I'm always impressed !

    By Blogger Finn, at 2/09/2006 08:04:00 PM  

  • When my faithful machine of 8 busy years called it quits just before Christmas I wished I had a collection of machines. I ended up replacing it with a Husqvarna and I love it. I think thats the company that bought out Pfaff but I could be wrong.
    Wendy

    By Blogger Wendy's Quilting, at 2/10/2006 04:29:00 AM  

  • I love my old bernina 1080. I have tried all different kinds of machines, and this one I just stay with. Even the newer Berninas....what do they do that my old one doesn't do? I don't need all the embroidery stuff, etc....I have also resisted the urge to buy a new machine just because this one does it so well!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 2/10/2006 12:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home