Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Uncle!

I finished my uncle's quilt and got it to Fed Ex Friday. It will probably be Tuesday when he receives it. I'm always more excited about giving gifts than receiving them so I'll be anxious to know that he's received it and his reaction. Here's the back side. He owned a Gulf service station for years so that's why I chose the fabric with the old cars and gas pumps. Big Horn didn't have enough fabric for the whole backing so I added black/white dot to each side of the gas pump fabric. The label has some old Gulf pictures. I was so lucky to have had this top already started and it was a perfect match for the perfect backing fabric. I quilted it with the Baptist Fans. OK . . the fans don't go with everything but the template was on the machine and I have two more Baptist Fans to do on customer quilts so I didn't want to disassemble the setup to load a panto. I didn't want to do a plain meander, didn't have time to do custom (and besides, custom quilted tops sometimes aren't very snuggly because of the extreme amount of quilting). My aunts who quilt will probably get a kick out of seeing the fans done by machine. As I got the backing fabrics out of the dryer, I tossed them on the floor before ironing them and look who thought he had found a warm place to snuggle. Sweet little Speck! Judy

14 Comments:

  • I think Speck wants to be next to have a quilt made, Your quilt looks awesome. Your uncle is going to be so thrilled!!!

    By Blogger Debra Dee, at 2/05/2006 10:41:00 AM  

  • What a spectacular quilt. I is just perfect for a man. It can be hard to make a mans quilt but you nailed it.

    By Blogger dot, at 2/05/2006 11:26:00 AM  

  • It lookes great Judy and I'm sure your uncle will love it. What a great way to comfort someone after a loss.

    I love the fan quilting on it and who says you can't quilt fans on everything. Once I convice myself you can - I might just buy the template myself. Keeping in mind I only quilt for myself and family - I'd have to quilt them on most of our quilts to make it worth the money!

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 2/05/2006 11:39:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    Another excellent gift! I love it!!! And who cares if you use the BF exclusively? It's your decision! LOL
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 2/05/2006 12:04:00 PM  

  • I think the fans are perfect for this quilt - great job and a lucky uncle!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/05/2006 02:02:00 PM  

  • Your uncle is so lucky. The quilt is beautiful.

    By Blogger tami, at 2/05/2006 04:47:00 PM  

  • It's perfect, Judy. Beautiful job, I'm sure it will mean a great deal to your uncle!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 2/05/2006 05:18:00 PM  

  • what a wonderful quilt to both finish and send off to comfort your uncle! it turned out terrific

    By Blogger Cher, at 2/05/2006 05:29:00 PM  

  • It came out beautiful Judy. Your uncle is going to be thrilled with it and somehow I think it will be a comfort to him in a speacial way.

    By Blogger Patty, at 2/05/2006 06:26:00 PM  

  • Wow, I bow down and envy you! How did you get that done sooo fast?!?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/05/2006 06:32:00 PM  

  • Beautiful quilt, Judy.

    By Blogger Alena, at 2/06/2006 05:07:00 AM  

  • Your Uncle's quilt has such a great look about it! It was fun to get a close up view and see that it is made from several differnt blocks that are simple to make. Amazing how that works, huh?

    By Blogger Kairle Oaks, at 2/06/2006 11:10:00 AM  

  • your uncle's quilt looks wonderful! great gift! Speck obviously agrees!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/06/2006 03:12:00 PM  

  • Speck did find a warm place to cuddle! (My cats would have joined him too! They love laundry day!)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 2/07/2006 05:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home