Sunshine Quilts

Friday, February 10, 2006

Blooming Nine Patch

I've shared here before my love of the Stack & Whack quilts but I also got hung up on making the Blooming Nine Patch quilts. They're in the book, Tradition with a Twist, by Blanche Young and Darlene Young Stone. This is the first one I made and it was a wedding gift to Liz, an attorney Vince works with. I'm never quite sure how they will turn out but Liz told me she liked red . . she gave me some specific decorator brand that she was doing in her house and this was as close as I could get. I can't even remember how I quilted it. I think it was made in 2001. The second one I made was for my friend, Sarah. She and I met in first grade! (She is OLD! :) We have been partners in crime for more years than I care to remember. Several years ago, Sarah went through a pretty heartbreaking divorce and I sent her this quilt. She has been such a good friend. We still talk often (thank goodness for free calls cell to cell!) I'll never forget one night when I was still living in Louisiana, I was so sick. I thought I was going to die (can you say wimp?) Sarah lived just a couple of blocks from me and our phone calls usually begin around midnight. She called and oh, I was such a wimp. My throat had never been so sore. In a few minutes, the phone rang again. She was on her way over with popsicles and dill pickles. I had never heard to try that combination for a sore throat. Can't remember if it worked but . . I obviously survived. That's a good friend to get out out at midnight, go to the convenience store on the corner and bring popsicles and dill pickles to a sick friend! The third one I made was for me. I was at Quilters Attic in Goodlettsville, TN one day and came across this purple/yellow fabric that I just had to have. I couldn't think of what to do with it but while walking around the shop, I thought of the Blooming Nine Patch and was able to choose all the fabrics right then and there! I wish the dark fabric was farther out and not so much in the center but I still like it. And, somewhere in this house there is a bag with another Blooming Nine Patch all cut out, to be made at some day in the future. I don't have a clue what the colors are . . haven't seen it in years!! What a fun house this is! :) Judy L.

10 Comments:

  • I like those Judy. Have no idea how you make them, but they are really pretty. I was thinking, if there was a really cold spell and I had no heat in my house, I would want to go to your house and find a nice snuggly quilt to climb under!

    By Blogger Patty, at 2/10/2006 08:59:00 PM  

  • I love all three - I bought the same book after seeing one of these quilts but still haven't made one myself.

    I think she also has a Boston Commons pattern in the book which is another pattern I really like - haven't made one of those yet either.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 2/10/2006 09:17:00 PM  

  • Should this post have a warning like that commercial for chips - "bet you can't stop at just one?" or something like that? So fun to see how each one turned out so differently! Once I find a pattern that is well written and goes together like a charm, I tend to make several too.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 2/11/2006 04:50:00 AM  

  • Your Bloom-ers are beautiful, Judy...all of them. And I'm just certain that WHEN you find your hidden one, I will love that one too!

    Your stories that coordinate with the quilts are always fun to hear about.

    Pickles and popsicles, hmm? Wouldn't that make a terrific quilt? Maybe, pink and green...or orange and green?

    By Blogger Darcie, at 2/11/2006 04:55:00 AM  

  • oh b9p's! I did one in a class in 2000. No book-the gal just taught an all day class. I should find a photo of mine to share-did you do 3 inch finished nine patches?? I have not wanted to make another one of those-but yours are terrific! I think the one you did for yourself is my favorite!

    By Blogger Cher, at 2/11/2006 08:13:00 AM  

  • These are just beautiful. I've had that book for years but still haven't made one. I should - it would certainly bust some stash!

    By Blogger Patti, at 2/11/2006 08:23:00 AM  

  • Judy -

    I love the Quilter's Attic store! It is about 15 minutes from the town where my parents live. I especially love the bargains you can find upstairs.

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 2/11/2006 11:11:00 AM  

  • They are all 3 beautiful, lucky Sarah and Liz to have a friend like you!

    By Blogger Laura, at 2/13/2006 10:13:00 AM  

  • I have a blooming 9-patch UFO - it isn't cut out yet, but the fabrics are in order with the book in a bag...

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 2/13/2006 10:44:00 AM  

  • All your Bloomin 9-patches turned out great. I love the one you made for you!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 2/15/2006 07:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home