Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Tiny Cabins

I suppose I could blame Tracey but I will accept responsibility for my own actions. Sometimes when I sit down with Electric Quilt and I really need to design something, my mind is blank. Other times, when I'm more or less just "doodling" with the software, I come up with pretty cool designs. Quilters Newsletter and Electric Quilt are having this "Do You EQ? Contest" and I had thought about trying to come up with something, then the thought kinda passed over and I didn't do anything. Then I decided to try to do the black star that had won third place in the Planet Patchwork contest. Then I looked at the design and decided there was no way I would have time to make it, along with my other obligations, before the June 16 deadline. But, then I kept doodling. I came up with a design that is quite a bit easier than the previous design and I started it this weekend. There are four 13" blocks that make up the center. They aren't hard but I don't do hard stuff so they weren't easy for me. They are paper pieced and I do so little paper piecing that it all seems backwards. I was so happy to get those four blocks finished tonight. Then I looked at the next step. Oh, my! What was I thinking? 9" blocks are small blocks for me. I need 72 - 4" finished log cabin blocks. Each log finishes at 1/2". I should be happy . . Tracey's loggies finish at 3-1/2" and each log is 3/8" so mine are bigger than hers and I'm betting she needs more than 72 blocks. I made two of them tonight and I think I'll save this for a spring break project. These things are going to take me forever! Tomorrow, I will go back to working on 12" blocks! Judy

13 Comments:

  • Judy,
    Good Grief girl...you like to make yourself nuts don't you? ;o) The logs are cute though...love the colors...
    Hugs
    Laurie
    ps(yes I got a HUGE hug from Joe for his quilt!)

    By Blogger Laurie, at 2/06/2006 05:24:00 AM  

  • Oh, hang in there, Judy! These two blocks are terrific...and the next million will be even terrific-er!!! Your colors are to die for.

    By Blogger Darcie, at 2/06/2006 05:38:00 AM  

  • love the colors, too! My motto: Get going, don't stop! LOL!

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 2/06/2006 06:32:00 AM  

  • Thanks for pointing me to Electric Quilt! I loved their free patterns!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/06/2006 09:07:00 AM  

  • LOL! OOPSS!! :oP Sorry Judy...but they look FABULOUS! :oD

    By Blogger Tracey, at 2/06/2006 10:55:00 AM  

  • When I grow up I want to be just like you Judy. I don't know where you get the energy from but I sure do admire you. The blocks are way cute and I can't wait to see the entire quilt.

    By Blogger Debra Dee, at 2/06/2006 12:00:00 PM  

  • You are one of the most creative people around ! I love the contrast of the colors with the black, very sharp. You are amazing dear friend

    By Blogger Patty, at 2/06/2006 01:55:00 PM  

  • Hey Judy, those are really pretty. Much too small for me, who also has no comfort zone with PPing, but you go girl!!

    By Blogger Finn, at 2/06/2006 02:34:00 PM  

  • Maybe the quilt could just be enlarged 200%?? :-)

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 2/06/2006 05:31:00 PM  

  • 72 paper pieced blocks? Yuck! They're pretty but I wouldn't want to be making them!

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 2/06/2006 09:11:00 PM  

  • I hear ya! But the blocks look pretty.

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 2/07/2006 05:28:00 AM  

  • may take you forever but the colors are great!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 2/07/2006 06:00:00 AM  

  • Hi Judy,
    Love the tiny log cabins-I was just thinking along those lines myself!
    I love paper piecing. When I started quilting in he seventies it did not exist and when I "came back" and tried it on my Dear Jane I thought I had dicovered chocolate!!
    Are you using the same colors throughout? is that hand dyed fabric? I have a big stash of hand dyes and I was thinking a bears paw or a log cabin interspersed with some house blocks--nONON I will not start another quilt, I will not start another quilt....

    By Blogger quiltcontemplation blogspot, at 2/08/2006 04:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home