Sunshine Quilts

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Packrat on the Rampage

Another day when I should've been sewing and got sidetracked. I am such a packrat and I'm trying to do better. So, here's what I spent most of the day doing.

  • Thread - I had no thread racks and I had thread on every shelf. Couldn't find it half the time and would order more, thinking I was out -- total disorganization. I ordered these four thread racks. Each holds 60 cones. I could have filled six racks but I'm going to use enough and not stockpile so that four will be all I'll need.

  • Little Book Shelf - More total disorganization. Now, on the little bookshelf, top shelf, are mostly longarm quilting books/continuous line designs. Middle shelf has magazines with a couple of cookbooks in between. Bottom shelf is more thread!

  • Bigger Book Shelf - Nice and neat now! All the books are in order by the author's name. Yes, there are a few of them that I managed to buy twice! And, I was thinking of ordering the More Nickel Quilts book but, I already have it! I have all my quilt books on here, a few three ring binders (one has my original printed patterns, one has my book in progress, one has the info I keep on customer quilts), one shelf has pattern covers and loose "stuff". There's still a bit of clutter there but it's better than it was.
  • Quilt Storage Rack - This is where I keep all the customer quilts waiting to be quilted. Don't ask me why I have all those packages of batting because I rarely use packages. I mostly use batting off the rolls but I'm going to use these packaged batts on my own quilts and get them off the shelf. The quilts in the cubbyholes are customer quilts waiting to be quilted. The quilts folded on the middle shelf are some of my own waiting to be quilted.

Let's see how long I can keep it clean and organized.

Judy L.

14 Comments:

  • Very organized. I hate taking time from quilting to clean and straighten up but it makes a big difference.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 1/26/2006 07:22:00 PM  

  • Very impressed Judy. You worked hard and it shows. Its a good feeling to have it done I bet.
    I spent the day waxing floors ! Not much fun

    By Blogger Patty, at 1/26/2006 07:41:00 PM  

  • Good for you to get so organized! Hope the tidying can carry on for a few days so you can enjoy the fruits of your labour.

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 1/26/2006 08:22:00 PM  

  • It's looking good Judy! I just love deep cleaning my sewing room...just to mess it up again! (sigh)
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1/26/2006 08:37:00 PM  

  • Looks great, Judy. From where did you order the thread racks? And I am curious, where do you like to get thread for the longarm and what kind do you like best? Thanks!

    By Blogger Deb Geyer, at 1/27/2006 04:48:00 AM  

  • It's fun to get a peek into your studio! I think the thread racks are great. I've been a thread hoarder and have way more than I need too, I buy thread because I like the color, not because I'll ever have a quilt to quilt it with! Mine is in a large clear drawered rolling cart so I can keep dust off it, but it is pretty much disorganized. I want to sort it by color so there is at least some order there....

    You inspired me!
    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 1/27/2006 06:29:00 AM  

  • Good for you on getting organized! Does it really feel better? (I never get that far to know....)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 1/27/2006 06:43:00 AM  

  • Well done! I firmly believe that the more organized a person is the more they can accomplish. Less time is spent searching and more time is spend doing. Plus I find a totally organized room gives me a great sense of serenity. Time well spent!

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 1/27/2006 08:36:00 AM  

  • I am with Laurie Ann- although to look at my sewing space you wouldn't know it! Good for you to invest your time for yourself - you will find it really helps you work more and feel better! Hope you are now able to get to quilting!

    By Blogger Cher, at 1/27/2006 08:42:00 AM  

  • I'm with laurie Ann and cher - I just feel much more productive when I am organized - I am not so distracted by the mess. Everything looks great!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 1/27/2006 12:57:00 PM  

  • Hi Judy, Working my way through the blogs - read yours today. What a wonderful way to get to know you! I so enjoyed all your stories and the pictures of all your quilts. You finish an amazing number considering you also do so many customer quilts. I can see why you created this blog ring - you do have quite a stash - but you are doing a great job working through it. My mouth watered every time you talked about food - I need to read your recipe blog next!

    By Blogger Patti, at 1/27/2006 02:54:00 PM  

  • Looking good so far, Judy! I like those thread racks -- I only have a few thread cones, but don't have a place to put them - my other threads are on the one thread rack I have and the small spools are in the printer's tray I hung on the wall.
    I also need to go through the bookcase -- but instead of buying a bigger one, I need to get rid of some of the books I have and fit them all into the smaller one!

    By Blogger Joanne, at 1/28/2006 12:12:00 PM  

  • It looks great to me - my room is a MESS! See the mess at my Gwen class last night! That is how my whole sewing area in the basement looks like!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 1/28/2006 03:31:00 PM  

  • It looks fantastic! Sometime, you need to organize before you can move on to being productive. I am bettiong you will be twice as productive now- which for you means, you could take over the world ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/30/2006 09:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home