Sunshine Quilts

Saturday, January 21, 2006

A Sad Saturday Post

My dad's family is pretty close. Dad has 2 sisters and 2 brothers and they see each other often. Dad is probably closest to his brother, James, who lives in Shreveport, which is 4 hours from Lake Charles (where mom and dad live). Mom and dad have a camp/farm 2 hours north of Lake Charles in Sabine Parish. Uncle James had a camper parked at mom and dad's camp for the longest time and I would see them there. Ugh . . this is a long story. But the short (and sad) part is that one of Uncle James' grandsons spent a lot of time with him. James Robert is Chad's age and was a senior in high school in Shreveport. Of all my dad's family, James Robert is the only one that Chad really knows. Mom called this morning to tell me that James Robert had been killed in a car accident last night. He had signed up to join the Marines after graduation and his mom was having a hard time with that decision. We surely never know what tomorrow holds. I know I need to call my uncle and I kept thinking I'd do it this afternoon. Chad had to sign up with Selective Service when he turned 18. The "card" came today with all his information. I surely didn't need that so I've been fighting back tears all day and haven't mustered the courage to call my uncle. This is one of those times I hate being so far from home. So for any of you who pray, please pray for my family in Shreveport. Judy

16 Comments:

  • Oh Judy. I'm sorry to hear this. My prayers are with you and your family.

    Mega hugs,
    Melinda

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/21/2006 08:22:00 PM  

  • Oh Judy, I am sorry to hear this devastating news. My prayers are with you and your family. Life is precious and we need to tell the ones we love on a daily basis that they are special and important to us!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1/21/2006 09:59:00 PM  

  • Judy, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know that God will give you the right words when you need them. My prayers are with you.

    By Blogger Susan, at 1/21/2006 10:03:00 PM  

  • When you're ready, I know your uncle will appreciate your call. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2006 10:50:00 PM  

  • What sad news. We just don't know how precious life is. I know at times I take life for granted. You and your family are in my prayers.

    By Blogger dot, at 1/21/2006 11:03:00 PM  

  • A parent's worse nightmare, Judy, I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 1/22/2006 05:07:00 AM  

  • Judy - I am so sorry about your sad news. We will be praying for your family.

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 1/22/2006 05:47:00 AM  

  • Its hard to be far from family... its hard to try to comfort oneself and uncle via a phone line... Its just plan hard. Know that you and your family are cared for, and that you wont always feel so sad...

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 1/22/2006 08:01:00 AM  

  • what a terrible loss for you and your family-I am so sorry to hear your news-my thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

    By Blogger Cher, at 1/22/2006 09:53:00 AM  

  • I am so sorry Judy. Such pain in loss. This is a quote my cousin sent me when my uncle died.
    "Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference in your tone, wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of a shadow on it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was; there is unbroken continuity. Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner. All is well."

    Henry Scott Holland (1847-1918), Canon of St. Paul’s Cathedral

    By Blogger Patty, at 1/22/2006 11:08:00 AM  

  • Judy, I am thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.
    -Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 1/22/2006 01:20:00 PM  

  • I'm so sorry to hear that James Robert has been called to leave this earth. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    By Blogger Debra Dee, at 1/22/2006 04:04:00 PM  

  • Ohh This is a tragedy ! You and his family are in my thoughts

    By Blogger Lucy, at 1/23/2006 01:50:00 AM  

  • My sympathy and prayers go out to yours and James Robert's family, Judy.

    By Blogger Darcie, at 1/23/2006 05:21:00 AM  

  • I am sorry to hear about your loss.

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 1/23/2006 07:12:00 AM  

  • Oh, Judy, I am so sorry for your loss. And being so far from home just makes it harder to bear. This is a time you want to just give out hugs. Hugs and prayers from me.

    By Blogger Joanne, at 1/23/2006 05:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home