Sunshine Quilts

Friday, December 09, 2005

Wasted another day . . thinking

I still can't come up with a quilting design for that purple/yellow quilt. Last night Laurie spent a lot of time with me on IM trying to come up with a plan and we almost had one. I went to bed thinking something would work but when I tried it this morning, no go. This is a variation of my original idea but I just don't know. I trust all you quilters so will you please be brutally honest with me. Some will like it, some won't but please let me know, ok? Even though I love feathers tremendously, for some reason, traditional feathers just don't seem right for this quilt but I need something kinda exciting in that yellow border if I want to enter this in shows. So . . here's what I'm thinking. I hope the next time you hear about this quilt is when you see a picture of it finished! Thanks for your input! Judy

8 Comments:

  • Judy,
    This will work! It's not something I would do because it's too tedious but you are AWESOME at this type of thing! GO FOR IT!
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 12/09/2005 06:41:00 PM  

  • Judy -

    I like it! Do you need to practice on one of my quilts?

    Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 12/09/2005 08:05:00 PM  

  • Judy, it's beautiful. How can you do that without a lot of starts and stops? I think it will give a very classic look to the quilt. Have fun with it!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 12/10/2005 04:06:00 AM  

  • Hi,
    I like your proposed pattern very much, but it says heirloom quilting to me and somehow seems out of kilter with the quilt itself. To me the quilt colour combination is retro - reminiscent of the late 1960s / early 1970s ... ditto the geometric design.

    Have you considered a geometric design ... perhaps based on some of the celtic patterns. Also worth considering, perhaps, is a kind of 1960s mod flower design ... flowers echoing themselves in variegated threads?

    Anyway, that's my tuppence worth ... hope it helps.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/10/2005 04:59:00 AM  

  • What a neat pattern! It really brings a sense of stateliness (sp?). Looks hard, but I like it...

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 12/10/2005 06:22:00 AM  

  • I like this....I like things that look like stately rod iron :c)

    How are you going to transfer it to the quilt? Will you stitch through paper or something else? trace it?
    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 12/10/2005 11:32:00 AM  

  • I am not absolutely sold on this particular pattern... when do you need to make up your mind? I LIKE the idea... looks a bit like wrought iron as Bonnie said - I could take some snapshots of old wrought iron work around Graz if you have time to wait? I always think they look like great quilting patterns.

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 12/10/2005 11:36:00 AM  

  • I am thinking Izzy has a good thought about the celtic designs. You could try aon-celtic.com for lots of ideas about borders and "buttons". A combination of some-sort - continous design, etc. Clanbadge.com has a neat looking program. Also - you could try doing a search for tattoos - lots of great ideas there... celtic tattoos, tattoo art, etc.

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 12/10/2005 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home