Sunshine Quilts

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Trip to the Quilt Shop, Some Fabric & How I Figured My Stash Quilts

Went to the quilt shop (Village Mercantile) in Boonville, IN. I try to go once a month to pick up and deliver quilts so this was kinda my monthly trip. Betty is having "open sewing" til Christmas for people to come in and sew for the tornado victims so I spent the day sewing and I took along 5 completed quilts to donate. And . . I bought a new walking foot. It was $115! Can you believe it? I sure wish I'd bought two back in the mid-80's when I bought the first one. Bet I paid about $50 or less for it then but if I'd bought two, I'd probably have lost the second one by now anyway. The quilt shop has a little tea room upstairs so I ate lunch there. The food is always fantastic and the dessert is yummy. I brought home some kind of chocolate turtle cheesecake for Chad and some kind of biscotti something torte for me . . we'll have dessert later. I bought some fabric! I am making a quilt for Chaplain Lewis' wife. I came across his blog about this time last year and have loved reading his stories. In a couple of his posts, he mentions his wife and from reading about her, I know she is a very special lady and I want to make her a quilt. I wrote to him and explained my plan to make her a quilt and asked about her favorite color. It's sage green. No problem... I can put some lavender and pink with sage green and make a very pretty quilt. Then he writes me back and said something like "I really don't want to sound unappreciative but . . she's not much of a pink/purple type lady." Hmm, this could be difficult. She seems to like more of the country/rustic type colors. In my entire stash, there's a lot of pink and purple and . . and . . goodness, just a lot of pink and purple mostly. So, I had to buy fabric today. Betty helped . . these are NOT my colors. I don't even know what I'm going to make so I bought 4 yards of each of the four fabrics. If I have to put something from my stash with this, I have a problem! Now, Debra asked how I figured I could make 180 stash quilts. Back when I got the goofy idea to put all my fabric on a spreadsheet, I got to about 2,000 yards and stopped recording. So, conservatively measuring, I came up with 2,700 yards of fabric and that doesn't not count fat quarter towers and bundles, nor does it count fabric that was already baggged for specific projects nor does it count fabric on bolts. There are at least 10 bolts of extra wide backing fabric and probably another 20 bolts of regular cotton fabric. I figured an average quilt top will take about 15 yards. Some will take more, some will take less. 2,700 yards divided by 15 yards per quilt = 180 tops. I have made 4 tops so far and nope, not a dent . . not even a little dimple in the stash. But, gotta start somewhere, right? Judy

12 Comments:

  • I think I've said this before, Judy...but I'll say it again..."You are an angel!"

    Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    Darcie

    By Blogger Darcie, at 11/30/2005 03:48:00 PM  

  • Oh I love sage green - and those are my colors - she should love them!

    Wow, I want to come play with your stash!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 11/30/2005 03:59:00 PM  

  • Well, I love those colors. I think they'll make a scrumptious quilt. Thanks for telling us just how much fabric you have in your stash, because now I don't feel so bad about mine (tee hee!).

    Marilyn

    By Blogger Marilyn, at 11/30/2005 05:33:00 PM  

  • ya know, i'm not a country colors gal myself. Sage green, yes, but with silvers and blues and purples... Which is actually my kids' bathroom, come to think of it!

    You are a brave lady to count your stash. I'm petrified to count mine, as then I'll start doing the match as to what is cost me, and then...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/30/2005 05:49:00 PM  

  • Those are great fabrics Judy. Not my colors, but I know you will do wonderful things with them! Have fun!

    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 11/30/2005 06:58:00 PM  

  • thanks for the calculation! I believe I would have stopped at 1,000 yards . . .egads! You have more fabric than I do. I am trying to get a figure in my head how many quilts I could produce from my stash and your formula is helpful (even scary!). I think I'll give it a shot.

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 11/30/2005 07:16:00 PM  

  • I think those fabrics would make a great Sawtooth Star quilt. You could vary the fabric around - have some dark stars and also light stars with the beige. Piano key border... Who doesn't like a star quilt and those Sawtooth Stars whip up so quickly - I have oodles of them because I like to make them when I am bored. Mine are 6", but you could do bigger to make it go faster.

    Whatever you do, I am sure it will be cherished. And hey! You NEEDED to buy those colors if you have all that fabric and none of those colors! You will have some left overs to add to the next one.

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 11/30/2005 11:22:00 PM  

  • How nice of you to make that quilt (not my colors either)... 4 yard of each sounds like enough. To me they are asking to be made in to a Buggy Barn pattern...

    Great idea on how many stash quilts you think you can make....

    My stash tends to be in smaller pieces & very scrappy - So i need to get some backgrounds to make tehm work.... I figure the 30's solids can work with the 30's and other novelties.... (Besides they are cheaperm to purchase than Moda Marbles...)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/01/2005 04:30:00 AM  

  • Wow, Judy...all that fabric and no country colors? Mine is almost all country colors, but I don't have 4 yards of anything. :o) I love the fabrics you chose and they will make a gorgeous quilt. I've read his blog from your link and he sounds like an amazing, spiritual man. I'm sure his wife (and he) will be thrilled with whatever you make!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 12/01/2005 05:01:00 AM  

  • Oh Judy, I don't even want to KNOW how many quilts my stash will make..it's paralyzing to me to think that way! But I do love that I just keep sewing and sewing and it never goes away :c)

    How sweet for you to make this lady a quilt,and stretch outside your color comfort zone!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 12/01/2005 06:02:00 AM  

  • What a lovely idea to make the chaplin's wife a quilt. So often the wives of these wonderful guys are just part of the background..good for you for thinking of her.
    I think whatever you decide will be special..you have a neat touch and great ideas!

    About your stash..it's as good as money in the bank, and a nice security blanket for a quilter. Keep up the good work...you are doing great since you began..I'm working on it too..*VBG*

    By Blogger Finn, at 12/01/2005 08:33:00 AM  

  • OMG!!!! You don't have a stash, you have a fabric store! ;) I think I am out of my league here, or maybe I just need to go shopping. Tee hee!! But I am fairly new to quilting, really only the last four years really intensely. So ...

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 12/01/2005 08:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home