Sunshine Quilts

Friday, December 02, 2005

Dachshunds should not wear Sweatshirts!

Speck (a mini-dachshund) definitely likes to be toasty. Getting him outside in the winter is not easy. And he will wrap up in anything to stay warm. Last night I was quilting and for you longarmers, you know how you concentrate on what you're doing and get oblivious to your surroundings. Well, that's how I was trying to finish up a quilt last night. The house where I quilt is older and not so well insulated and the longarm is in a back bedroom that gets cold. I had on a sweatshirt during the day but then in the evening when Chad was home, I had the heater turned higher so I had taken my sweatshirt off and laid it across the back of a chair. It must've fallen and Speck had gotten wrapped up in it as best he could . . which wasn't too good! So, I'm quilting along about midnight and out of the corner of my eye, I see this black thing flopping around on the floor. My first thought was that a critter had found its way into my house and I was about to run when I realized Speck had crawled down the sleeve of the sweathshirt and was stuck! Only his nose was sticking out the end of the sleeve. He was in a panic and I couldn't get him backed up so I had to cut the sleeve to get him out. That dog! Quilt got finished and I got to bed about 1 a.m. Somehow the thermostat got changed and thought today was Saturday. I get up about 7 on Saturday so I have it set to come on at 6:30 on Saturday. But, on weekdays, I get up at 5:30 (actually, more like 6 after a snooze a few times) so I have it set to come on at 5:00. When my alarm went off, I thought . . why is my nose so cold?? Then, when I crawled out from the 4 quilts on my bed, I realized it was 50 degrees in the house and the heater had not come on. Brrrrr. That has all been reset but I still can't seem to get warm. I'm going to spend the whole day piecing! I should finish the top using the fabrics I posted on Thanksgiving Day. And, I think I know what I'm doing with the fabrics for Chaplain Lewis' wife so I will get started on that. And, Vince is having the oil changed in the pickup and it will not be ready before lunch so I'm picking him up and we'll go eat at my favorite little BBQ joint on the east side of town. Sounds like a good day, huh? Piecing and BBQ! What more could a girl ask for! Judy

5 Comments:

  • I loved loved loved the story about your dog. What a riot! Too bad he was so panicked, because it would have been so cool to get a shot of him with his little nose sticking out of that sleeve. He must have really burrowed in there to get in such a pickle!

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 12/02/2005 01:45:00 PM  

  • Oh too funny with the dog! We had two dachsunds at one time, and they are hilarious, and they do love to burrow under anything to keep warm! (I don't blame them) When we lived in Idaho we had to shovel a trail for them to go outside to do their 'business' They hated it even then!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 12/02/2005 02:31:00 PM  

  • Oh how funny! I can just see it.

    Hi Judy. I've got a blog too. http://mghollis.blogspot.com/

    Hugs,
    Melinda
    (BrightEyes)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/02/2005 04:42:00 PM  

  • LOL Judy...that is too funny...I can see Speck in there...wish you had taken a pic!
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 12/02/2005 04:46:00 PM  

  • My little boy cat is just like speck - can't get warm enough. I bet you donuts to dollars (Is there any wonder why I need a diet) that he is ontop of the radiator as I type. He definately sleeps under the covers right next too me. & If I fall asleep before he goes to bed, he will waking me by digging to get under... I just hear him, "Why don't I have thumbs?"

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/03/2005 09:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home