Sunshine Quilts

Friday, December 02, 2005

How the Stash Happened

Laurie Ann has a post on her blog about the size of her stash and it got me to thinking about my stash. It isn't that I'm a compulsive buyer because I really am pretty frugal. My husband would disagree but he's so far beyond frugal but we will not even go there. Here's my reason/excuse/explanation about the stash. This is my story and I'm stickin' to it! When we lived in Louisiana, there was no quilt shop real close to me. I could drive one hour west to Beaumont, Texas to get to Sew What, I could drive another hour or so and get to any number of shops in Houston; I could drive one hour east to Opelousas, Louisiana to Ginger's or I could drive about another hour and get to The Thimble in Baton Rouge. This was all before internet shopping had gotten to my world. So, if I'm going to drive an hour or more to a quilt shop and then an hour or more home, I'm going to make it worth my while. And, I did! Then, the ladies at The Thimble in Baton Rouge must've noticed my addiction so one day one of them said Honey, would you like for us just to snip a little swatch off all the new fabrics that come in and mail them to you? Then, if you'd like any of them, you can call and let us know and we'll send them to you." OMG! What a great idea! Instead of spending time driving, I could be home sewing. Once or twice a month, a little envelope would arrive at my office, stuffed to the gills with little swatches. I'd spread them all out on my desk, ooohhhh and ahhhhh over them. My co-workers (none of whom were quilters) would pick out lovely fabrics, I'd pick out lovely fabrics. Never had a clue what I might do with these fabrics so I'd just order 4 yards of each! Stashes grow quickly at that rate. Once we were at Houston and it was St. Patrick's Day. One of the shops in Houston (ughh, don't remember which one but it was out past IAH . . not It's a Stitch but maybe headed towards The Woodlands . . or I could be completely turned around). Anyway, we went by the shop and they were having a sale! 30% off any fabric with any amount of green in it. We left with a trunk full of fabric. Then we moved to Kentucky. Wouldn't you know it! Not a quilt shop here either. I can drive about an hour north and get to the quilt shop in Boonville, IN or I can drive a little over two hours and get to a shop in Goodlettsville, TN. There are some in between but I like that one. So, once again . . if I'm driving that far, I'd better make it worth the trip! Then, the internet shopping hit and I found Big Horn Quilts. For a while, if you bought over $200, you got free shipping. What a deal! That helps grow the stash too! But, now I've come to my senses. I am buying fabric only if I need it for a particular project (like the quilt for the chaplain's wife . . I had no fabrics in the colors she likes). I am going to use the stash. I am not adding to it! And, you, my blogging buddies are my witness! :) Judy L.

8 Comments:

  • Judy,
    I remember your buying days at BHQ's! You got me hooked on that site too! ESPECIALLY when they had sales! I have really cut back on buying fabric...not totally stopped but seriously cut back...maybe one day I'll get brave and post a pic of my fabric closet...BEFORE cleaning it up! LOL
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 12/02/2005 04:49:00 PM  

  • Ah, I myself fall victim to the eQuilter clearance sales... In fact, a package may have arrived for me today, but I'm not telling ;-) I have tried so hard to cut back, but the worst lesson I learned working in a quilt shop was that, most of the time, when it's gone it's gone. So, of course, better get it before that happens!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/02/2005 05:40:00 PM  

  • I'll admit I am a compulsive buyer. For so many years I didn't have money to splurge on nice fabric and when I got the the point I could I went nuts! A wonderful LQS (that's since closed) and online shopping (also an addict of Big Horn Quilts) have contributed to the monstrous size of my stash. Heck when the LQS closed I bought so much stuff I had to buy the 3rd stash cabinet. I will admit to always searching the sale and clearance stuff first but there's lots of the full priced $8-$10 stuff in there too. Add to that the 500+ yds I brought home from Mama's a few years ago when she quilt sewing and you can see how it gets out of control in a hurry.

    By Blogger Nancy, at 12/03/2005 05:58:00 AM  

  • You must be talking about Plain and Fancy Quilts in The Woodlands, TX. They now have probably the biggest selection of batiks in the area. . .need some??

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 12/03/2005 08:50:00 AM  

  • Sounds familiar - except that mine grew using smaller bits of fabric... Also a dear quilter friend of mine passed away and our mini-group inherited her stash... At that time I still did not know how to buy fabric or what I would really use/like... I have used a lot of that fabric or passed it on to someone who would.... With all of that said, I am contimplating going to a going out of business sale this afternoon in Alexandria, Va. this shop is know for its Asian selection & I have a love/hate relationship with them... If I ever got to the point of decorating (more that all quilts go together decorating) Asian may be a workable theme for me... I am telling my sefl that I am just going to look - maybe get a background or binding piece.... We'll see.

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 12/03/2005 09:25:00 AM  

  • wow - that is one big story about how a stash grew! And one great stash! Good thing they don't send me small snips of new fabric!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 12/03/2005 08:25:00 PM  

  • Internet shopping was my downfall. fabric.com became my downfall! Everything I bought came in 1 to 3 yard cuts because I knew I'd never ever find that fabric again. I have moved the stash 3 times...each time the movers were like ALL THIS FABRIC?!?!? I've been a stash quilter for about 1.5 years. My spending is really down to nearly ZERO and the stash still isn't going down fast enough. Scraps multiply. Yep.

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 12/04/2005 01:51:00 PM  

  • I'm not a big shopper...even when I worked in a quilt store I didn't buy much, BUT...I can see that I could easily get carried away at Big Horn Quilts website! I'm working very hard right now to leave my credit card in my wallet! Thanks a lot, Judy! :o)

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 12/05/2005 05:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home