Sunshine Quilts

Saturday, December 10, 2005

I'm not a quitter . .

But there comes a time when reality must prevail. Last night I stayed up marking the border on this purple/yellow quilt which I was about to dislike! I got it all marked using my big lightbox (which is really my 12' longarm table!). Before going to bed, I spread it out over the dresser so I'd see it when I woke up and see if the design had grown on me while sleeping. I didn't expect DH to be up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday so I had hardly stopped looking at it before going to sleep at 2 a.m. when it was time to face it again this morning. It just wasn't what I wanted. I had wanted to use variegated thread and there was no place for that and the design was pretty but it just didn't thrill me. After breakfast, I spritzed it all with water to remove the blue marks. Back to square 1, right? So, I just loaded it on the machine. I am doing some free motion stuff just to get it done. It will not be entered at Paducah which probably means I have nothing to enter. I do have a Judy Martin fractured star that hasn't been quilted but it is really big and I just don't think I have the time or desire to quilt it right now. Guess this is what I get for waiting til the last minute to get my entry done. Oh well, worse things have happened! :) Maybe if I'm really industrious, I'll have a picture for you tonight of the purple/yellow quilt after it's quilted. Judy

7 Comments:

  • Wow that is a cool quilt! I can't wait to see the one your quilting on today. I"m sorry you were having such a hard time coming up with a quilting design. Well, guess you could start planning for next year!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 12/10/2005 04:14:00 PM  

  • Really, really hard decision to make Judy...and not one that warms your heart. I guess at times, it's better to move on knowing there will be another day and another quilt. Hugs for all the distress this has caused you. The fractured star looks awesome..I'm very impressed!! Love the colors!

    By Blogger Finn, at 12/10/2005 07:31:00 PM  

  • The star does look awesome, and I am wondering if that is why the quilting pattern just isn't hitting with you - sort of like a beautiful design, fighting with a beautiful design?

    It's really Ok to let the entry go - make it be pretty just FOR YOU instead!

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 12/10/2005 08:16:00 PM  

  • That's right, Judy. Although a quitter you are not, a smart woman you are. This is happening for a reason...and sometimes we are not supposed to know why.

    I'm in line to hug you after Finn does. I know how you're feeling.

    That Star is gorgeous, by the way! Can't wait to see it again, after you work your magic!

    By Blogger Darcie, at 12/11/2005 07:18:00 AM  

  • Sometimes when something is not right for the quilt, you just have to let it simmer on back burner or do something else. Don't feel bad about needing to switch gears if everything you'd traced on that border just wasn't working!

    I love the star quilt...gorgeous! I'm sure what ever you do will be lovely, if you do it when you FEEL LIKE DOING IT...don't force yourself so hard!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 12/11/2005 12:03:00 PM  

  • It seems to me that if you try to force a design to come, it will never be right. I agree with everyone...let it rest for awhile and wait for that "AHA!" moment when the design pops into your head. It will come. In the meantime, the fractured star quilt is gorgeous...can't wait to see that when it's done!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 12/11/2005 01:43:00 PM  

  • Sorry you had to let the dream go... Hope you found some enjoyment simply having it done and no longer nagging you :-)

    The fractured star is beautiful.

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 12/11/2005 03:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home