Sunshine Quilts

Monday, July 24, 2006

Back in the Swing of Things

Last night I went to bed before 10 which was very early for me. I truly slept like a rock and couldn't believe how well I had slept when the alarm went off this morning. Most days when I first wake up, I lay in bed for a few minutes thinking about what my day holds. This morning I decided to do whatever I felt like doing. Vince and Chad were both working so I had the whole day to myself. I decided that instead of quilting or working in the yard (both of those really need attention) I would spend the day in the kitchen. I made a batch of kibbie, which isn't fantastic. If anyone has a great kibbie recipe you'd like to share, I'd be real happy to try it. I canned 7 pints of tomatoes and have enough tomatoes remaining to make 7 pints of tomato relish tomorrow. I have beef stroganoff in the crock pot for tomorrow and I made Oatmeal Toasting Bread. Maybe in the morning I'll run down to the farmer's market early and see if there are any good tomatoes there. I'd love to put up a couple dozen quarts of spaghetti sauce but I don't have enough of my own tomatoes for that. Not just for my little 7 pints of tomatoes but I bought myself a new 23 quart canner today. For nine years I've heard that you can't can on a smooth top stove. Thankfully, I did a little research this morning. I found that I could buy a "5th burner" which is just an electric coil type thing -- like having an extra burner on the regular electric stove. I went to our local Rural King and found one of those for $10. OK, that fits the budget. Then I went to the canners and big as Texas, on the outside of the box, it says:

  • Canners are constructed of extra-strong, warp-resistant aluminum and are suitable for use on regular and smooth-top ranges.
  • So, I was able to get the canner, put the 5th burner thing back and now I'm all set. All I need is a bigger garden . . maybe next year. For those who have asked about the log house. We are not getting it. After Daniel's accident, there's no way I want Chad driving on these roads . . even though Daniel's wreck happened on a major highway. I'll hopefully go back and forth to Louisiana every couple of months til I feel mom and dad are ok and it's so much easier for us to work out of the house in town. It's less than 2 miles from community college, 5 miles from Chad's job and 6 miles to Vince's job. I think there will be some major changes in our house before Christmas and a big house with lots of land is not what we need right now. Judy L.

    16 Comments:

    • Wow, you had alot of energy today. I wish I enjoyed spending time in the kitchen the way you seem to. Sigh!
      I know that it was difficult to leave your parents yesterday but trust that they will take care of each other!

      By Blogger Darlene, at 7/24/2006 10:35:00 PM  

    • You sound like your head is on straight. When tragedies like this happen it really gives you perspective in your on neck of the woods. I'm glad to see you writing about cooking and quilting again.
      Melanie

      By Blogger Melanie, at 7/25/2006 03:20:00 AM  

    • Hmmm, what is Kibbie? It's nice to see their are other people still around that can. I have found memories of helping my grandma, mom and dad all can our garden bounties. I still can today occasionally - but my neighbors all think it's the craziest thing in the world! One couldn't figure out what I was doing and had never heard of canning! Go figure! I'm just a hillbilly living in the wrong suburban subdivision! Oh I wish I could move back to the hills! You are so fortunate to live in Kentucky, that is a dream of mine! The bread looks awesome too!

      By Blogger Unknown, at 7/25/2006 03:25:00 AM  

    • You have to do what is right for you and your family, so you've made the decision that's going to work for you.
      Hope your day "off" gave you what you needed-to have a normal day, and I'm sure your parents will appreciate your going back for them.
      Just what are kibbies?
      I'm a dyed in the wool city kid, but I tried canning several years ago when I had a garden. Tomatoes weren't too bad, but I bought some strawberries to make jam-not a pretty picture.

      By Blogger Eileen, at 7/25/2006 03:52:00 AM  

    • That canning pot looks scary! :) You are so accomplished not only at quilting but in the kitchen as well! My hero!

      ((HUGS))

      By Blogger Vicky, at 7/25/2006 06:55:00 AM  

    • its great to have a say to just follow your heart isn't it. I'm sure your family appreciates that it lead you to the kirchen yummmy :-)

      By Blogger quiltpixie, at 7/25/2006 07:05:00 AM  

    • I wish I knew how to "can." I think it is something that is being lost to the convenience of the supermarket. Even though we don't have a garden to speak of, the farmer's market could supply fun things to preserve for later in the year. I'm going to go do a Yahoo! search for Kibbie and see what that is all about.

      By Blogger Libby, at 7/25/2006 12:28:00 PM  

    • Judy - I think you're very wise not to bother with the log house as beautiful as it is - you would never be able to rest waiting for your son to get in home and that sort of worrying is something you can do without - plus it's not good to have a major change or make such important decisions after you've gone though such traumatic times - good for you doing 'comfort' type jobs today where you can see the fruits of your labours - thinking of you and your family x

      By Blogger Unknown, at 7/25/2006 01:45:00 PM  

    • Sounds like a really productive day in the kitchen but what struck me about your post was your comment about the alarm going off.

      Since I don't usually have to get up at a certain time I don't routinely set my alarm - maybe I would be more productive if I got up the same time every day.

      By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 7/25/2006 04:02:00 PM  

    • Judy,
      What is Kibbie? Never heard of it...as for the log home...yo have to do what is best for you.
      Hugs
      Laurie

      By Blogger Laurie, at 7/25/2006 04:02:00 PM  

    • Hey, I did the kitchen thing yesterday! I froze 8 pints of beans, 14 cups of shredded zucchini, and made two batches of pecan-black raspberry bars. (Using my black raspberry jam I made a few weeks ago.)

      Our tomatoes are not quite ready for canning yet. This year we have 18 plants. To be honest, it has been the best year for tomatoes for us. We stopped using cages and decided to use pvc pipe to stake the plants up. It is really nice for watering, just pour the water down the pipe. The plants grow nice and tall and not falling over like they used to with the cages.

      My husband wanted to get a house in the country, but I worried about the boys driving into town when they were older. I am with you. Better to be safe.

      By Blogger Unknown, at 7/25/2006 10:01:00 PM  

    • I too wondered what kibbie is ... I'm glad I'm not the only one. I am always so impressed with your prowesse in the kitchen. Way to go Judy!
      *hugs*
      Tazzie
      :-)

      By Blogger Tazzie, at 7/26/2006 01:12:00 AM  

    • I also have a smooth-top cooktop and have used my pressure cooker on it for years. I also a large ketting for my hot-water bath garden items.
      I'm also looking for an ipod, but youngest DS thinks he needs a new one first. May inherit his old one!

      By Blogger Saska, at 7/26/2006 08:17:00 AM  

    • You have been a busy girl since you got home. The oatmeal toasting bread looks so good.

      By Blogger Patty, at 7/26/2006 07:09:00 PM  

    • It looks like a pressure cooker. Whenever my mom wanted to get something cooked in a hurry, she would cook it in the pressure cooker. Did the work in half the time or something.
      Can you tell I know nothing about canning, and very little about cooking. :)

      By Blogger Shelina, at 7/27/2006 02:08:00 PM  

    • Okay -- so what is Kibbie? You have us all guessing! The oatmeal toasting bread looks wonderful!
      I am so jealous that you actually have tomatoes to can -- I don't can anymore, but our tomatoes aren't ripe yet -- just a few cherry tomatoes and that's it -- waaah!

      By Blogger Joanne, at 7/27/2006 04:57:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home