Sunshine Quilts

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Remind Me Again Please!

Can someone remind me again why anyone has children? I know .. most are not like mine and I suppose that's because everyone else is a better parent than I am. Chad decided that working at Kroger didn't fit his style. They treated him horribly! They expected him to be there some mornings at 8:00 (not even half the time!), they wanted him to be productive which he never quite comprehended. There was a 45 day "trial" period and that was up yesterday. They extended it for another 15 days and he was totally disgusted. I think he truly expected them to bump him up to store manager or something. Anyway, not quite sure what transpired last night but he came home thinking his time was extended. He was off today and the manager called and said they decided they didn't need him. Who needs a job anyway? I quilted 4 quilts over the weekend. They were all pantos which go quickly but it made me feel good to get them done. I think I have 5 or 6 more to quilt, then get the handwork finished on all 20. Guess we know what I'll be doing for the next 2 months! Manuscript is almost ready. Goodness . . is there ever a time when I can read the darned thing without finding more things to change/correct? I think I've used more ink and paper than the law allows! I do believe it's ready to go except I still need photos of 5 quilts and of course, there's rain predicted for the next month! Like everything else in my life, my Ipod is all jumbled up. Somehow, some of my audio books got mixed in with my music and about mid-day Saturday while quilting and listening to my music, I came across the book, Cover the Butter. Not even sure when I downloaded it but I was too lazy to stop quilting and skip over it so I started listening to it and couldn't stop. I loved that book! There was some language that was kinda bad in a few parts (not real bad but I wouldn't recommend it for a high school girl). I had been thinking I should write a book about my life and dang it . . I think someone already has! Whew! I want to go back and listen to it again. One night I fell asleep with the ear buds in and the Ipod under my pillow!! We're looking at the log cabin again Saturday. We just can't let go of it. I keep thinking of all the negatives (trying to talk myself out of wanting it) but Vince really wants it too. The big problem is that he thinks we're going to sell the house in town, move into the new house and then try to sell his house. Well, that's not what I was thinking. I was thinking we'd sell his house first, then move in, then sell the house in town. I suppose that can be worked out but I do NOT want to show the house I'm living in. I think we already have a buyer for it anyway so that's not a big deal. And just to see how many subjects I can cover in one post, I smoked salmon today using a method C. J. told me about. Oh, it was so good! I had to get up at 5 to get the salmon on the smoker and the bread going so I should get to bed now! Judy

20 Comments:

  • Judy,
    I had to LOL at your post about Chad! Joe's first job was at Kohl's in MN. It was a brand new store and they hired him for the shoe dept. After 2 days of training he told us he was gonna quit cuz Kohl's treated him like a NUMBER instead of a PERSON!!! We said, "Get used to it...that's life as a teenager and a job!" LOL...hang in there...Chad will figure it out someday!

    Good luck with the cabin...it sounds awesome! Miss ya!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7/11/2006 10:45:00 PM  

  • I think most teen boys go through this. I talk to a lot of them at the library that always complain.

    There's nothing to do and they don't have a car or any money, but they definitely don't want to go on in school ... and they don't want to work at any kind of entry-level, no-GED required job. (Flip Burgers? No WAY!) They enjoy playing on the computers, but they're not looking for a career in computer science either.

    I work in an inner city library, and most of these boys don't have dads either, no role models. They actually don't know any men who get up and go to work from 9 to 5 every day, so they don't see employment as a future they'll have to eventually accept.

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 7/11/2006 11:08:00 PM  

  • Poor Chad! He's finding out it's a tough world out there! Wish you lived here; I'd put him in work in the mfg. plant and make him REALLY want to go back to school ASAP! LOL

    I always said proofreading was like vacuuming the carpet. The more you vacuum, the more dirt you pick up. Can't tell you the number of times I had a transcript on the copy machine, after proofing it two or three times, only to find something hop out at me. Hang in there. It's almost over.

    The log house sounds like it is meant to be. Keep us all posted on how that's going. It's never easy to sell multiple houses and get moved in all the same time.

    Love you, sweetie!

    By Blogger Vicky, at 7/12/2006 03:13:00 AM  

  • Vicky's right, it sounds like the log cabin is meant to be. Good luck with it!

    By Blogger sewprimitive karen, at 7/12/2006 03:24:00 AM  

  • Judy, girls can go through the same things, read some of my June posts, Chelsey had a great job, no nights, or sundays. It was 9 to 5 and she quit because she didn't want to work 40 hours a week in the summer!!!!Hey kid-- that's the real world. But reality check is her dad is charging her interest on Money she owes him. There's no gas money to tote her friends around. And that new dress is now non existent. I've called both sets of Grandparents - don't dare send her money till she gets another job---She's an actress. But I count my blessings. She's not doing drugs, she goes to church, not pregnant, or in trouble with the law. I tell her this is one of those summers we are going to talk about around the Xmas tree when she's 30 with 3 kids!!!
    It's hard are Mommas - Hang in there.
    Melanie

    By Blogger Melanie, at 7/12/2006 04:33:00 AM  

  • P.S. call your cable company... maybe they've got future plans for your area. We did that when we moved out 'in the woods'.
    Melanie

    By Blogger Melanie, at 7/12/2006 04:34:00 AM  

  • THe good news is that teenagers grow up and become sensible adults who have teens of their own who drive THEM crazy. It's a bit of a wait, but that's your revenge.

    By Blogger Joyce, at 7/12/2006 05:34:00 AM  

  • think it just takes a little longer for boys to get it through their heads what is expected of them?

    Good for you getting in some long arm time---I would be binding for months with 20 of them to be done!! SLOOOOOOOOW and distracted by the computer sitting by the light source.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 7/12/2006 05:53:00 AM  

  • Why is it that these days kids are more of a pain AFTER they turn 18? My two oldest daughters are 29 & 18 and they have caused me more angst after they became "adults" then they EVER did as teens!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 06:04:00 AM  

  • Oops. I meant "19 & 18"...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 06:05:00 AM  

  • I guess we know someone who isn't going to be driving anytime soon - he can't afford insurance... (That might be a wake up call...)

    All of that quilt - boy have you been productive!

    That butter book has me intrigued - just by the title....

    Too bad I have TOOOOOO many textbooks to read!

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 7/12/2006 06:16:00 AM  

  • most of parents survive having teens, and you will too. Isn't it nice that someone else is telling Chad it isn't a free ride instead of only you....

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 7/12/2006 06:17:00 AM  

  • Thanks for showing me what to look forward to! Right now, my boys are on each other's nerves. And mine!

    Keep us posted about the cabin!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/12/2006 07:24:00 AM  

  • Your Chad story just made me shake my head. Teenagers really just have no concept of how easy they have it. DS at 18 has his frist ever job this summer and he hasn't quit yet, but he comes home every day wondering why on earth he would still have to do his chores at home when he has worked so hard during the day. I pointed out that his father and I worked many more hours than he did and where exactly did he think his dinner, clean clothes and such came from. It just boggles the mind that they can't see these things and be more responsible.

    I'm thinking that maybe the log cabin is meant to be. Have you checked with the Cable and DSL companies to make sure that it isn't planned for the near future? I have a friend who always tells me things happen as they are supposed to and I'm thinking that maybe your log cabin is waiting for you.

    By Blogger tami, at 7/12/2006 08:17:00 AM  

  • Judy, glad you enjoyed the salmon, we love it that way and it's so easy!

    Maybe you should share the "cons" to the log house so we can give you our objective work arounds! :)

    Satellite will solve your internet connetion.

    Boys... w have 2 doing great and 1 that could be a walking advertisement for birth control! LOL hang in there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2006 08:31:00 AM  

  • Good luck with the log cabin decision. I hope I am granted with a short memory when my teenagers have grown up, so I don't remember all the moments of frustration and motherly despair ;-)

    By Blogger Hanne, at 7/12/2006 02:29:00 PM  

  • I also have some questions about Ipods. I'm really debating about getting one. How do you download music? Where's a good sight to download books? What's an average price for downloading? Can you change your selections? I don't know if I want to get one or not.

    I wish I knew what to say about Chad. I'm just dealing with my 7 year old acting like a teenager and questioning everything.

    Log house? I say go for it. :D But only if it has a sewing room with enough room for all of us to come visit. ;)

    Hugs,
    Melinda

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/12/2006 05:15:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    My daughter won't even get a job, so you are one up on me. she filled out a few applications last year, but didn't even bother with that this year. I tried to explain to her that her age might have been a hindrance last year, and since she is older now she is more likely to be hired. I keep showing her all these newspaper articles about how the teenage job market is sizzling this summer, but that doesn't faze her. Fortunately she is taking classes, so she isn't sitting around at home all day.

    By Blogger Shelina, at 7/12/2006 05:44:00 PM  

  • I want to tell you that I absolutely LOVE your blog. I really look forward to reading the latest entries. I actually looked for that flour you were talking about after reading the blog about it.

    My almost 20-yr old brother is searching for the "perfect" job. You know...the one that allows him to sleep in and pays at least $10/hr. He has never worked and my dad supports him even though he doesn't live at home because he won't get along with my mom. He is going to community college to be an auto/tech-mechanic.

    I think my kids might work as soon as possible because there is never enough money to go around for me to buy them what they want. My 10-yr old says she wants to get a job right now.

    Kids!

    Shannon

    By Blogger Shannon, at 7/13/2006 06:31:00 PM  

  • Trying to catch up after being away from the computer for the weekend and boy this was a detail packed post.

    On raising boys - just keep working at it - things WILL come together eventually.

    Can't wait to buy this book you're working on.

    Selling and buying houses - its a lot of work and stress but if you end up with something you love it's worth it - right?

    Sounds like an interesting book - I keep saying I'm going to try listening to some audio books.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 8/20/2006 04:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home