Sunshine Quilts

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words, prayers and compassion. Having never lost anyone close other than grandparents who were very, very old when they all died, this has been more difficult than I could have imagined. For those who have suffered loss, you know the pain that until now, I never felt. Daniel had lived with my parents off and on in his very early years but came to live with them permanently when he was about 9. They had teased him quite a bit lately about going out on his own . . getting his own place or getting married and his response was always "why would I want to leave here?" One of the boys who spoke at his funeral said Daniel loved the ladies and the ladies loved Daniel. He was the typical guy about whom you hear "they loved fast cars and women!" Mom joked that at the funeral, they were going to say "would everyone who ever dated Daniel, please stand up!". Saturday evening two girls came by the house and they were both crying. One said, "I'm Kathy (not the real name!) and I dated Daniel." The other girl said "I'm Suzie (not the real name!), I'm her sister (pointing to the other girl) and I dated Daniel too!" We almost laughed! Then my friend from Westlake's son is a policeman and I was talking to Sarah and asked her if Jared had heard any more about the accident. She said "Jared knew Daniel and Jaimie (Jared's wife) dated Daniel." It was really getting to be funny how many girls had dated him. The picture is one of Chad and Daniel that was taken in 1999. The quilt on the bed is one mom had made for Daniel and he loved it. Mom said he would never go to bed without his quilt so they buried it with him. Chad and I are going to fly home Sunday. He's going back to work Tuesday for Kroger at one of the other stores. I'll try to come back home in a month or so. Daniel's birthday would be August 10 so that will be another hard day for mom and dad. Small hurdles . . one at a time. Thanks again for your support! Judy L.

17 Comments:

  • Judy, I am so sorry for your loss.

    Hugs,
    Melinda

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/20/2006 11:55:00 AM  

  • Asking someone to stand up if they had NOT gone out with Daniel would have injected a little levity into the situation if appropriate. I know this is hard on all of you. Your folks as much as anyone since they pretty much raised him. Chad, because he was probably like his older brother. Hard, hard, hard.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 7/20/2006 12:05:00 PM  

  • Judy,

    I am sorry for your loss.

    Kim

    By Blogger Kim West, at 7/20/2006 12:22:00 PM  

  • Sometimes humor is the best way to cope with death.

    Have had to deal with death again and again. I am sorry for your pain. Time heals.

    By Blogger Saska, at 7/20/2006 12:52:00 PM  

  • Hugs for your heart while you go through the grieving process and comfort your Mom and Dad at the same time.

    By Blogger Doodlebug Gail, at 7/20/2006 01:00:00 PM  

  • I am so sorry for your loss. He was a cutie, can see why half the county dated him, LOL.

    It is very touching to hear that he was buried with the quilt that your mother made him. Brought tears to my eyes.

    Big hugs from across the pond!
    Cathi

    By Blogger Cathi, at 7/20/2006 02:19:00 PM  

  • Hugs for you and your family !
    Hanne

    By Blogger Hanne, at 7/20/2006 03:30:00 PM  

  • You and your family are still in my prayers. Sometimes laughing through the pain makes it a little easier.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/20/2006 04:01:00 PM  

  • The pain will lessen in time and the memories will give you peace

    By Blogger Patty, at 7/20/2006 04:53:00 PM  

  • Judy, you are so in my thoughts and prayers. Your words about Daniel made me cry.

    xoxox

    By Blogger Vicky, at 7/20/2006 09:58:00 PM  

  • Oh Judy - you made me smile reading all about his many many girlfriends - it's those little funny moments in the first few weeks that make it just about bearable - I do so feel for you, I was widowed at 29 because of a car accident - cars are sadly a necessary evil - just try and take comfort from the little anecdotes people give you about him - it'll be a long haul but I pray that the remembering gets less painful soon for all of you (((Hugs)))

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/21/2006 12:14:00 AM  

  • Judy I lost my oldest sone 8 years agp. He was only 21 and left behind a young wife and son. I know the pain you and your family are experiencing right now. Although it is a cliche, I can tell you that the pain will lessen over time, but he will always remain a part of your life.

    By Blogger Sweet P, at 7/21/2006 03:32:00 AM  

  • May God hold you and your whole family in the palm of His hand.

    By Blogger Eileen, at 7/21/2006 04:34:00 AM  

  • The first loss I experienced was of a brother as well, he was 49 and it was a shock. I also buried my mom with the first quilt I made her. It was a lap top and she always used it.Sending prayers to your parents.

    By Blogger Marlublu, at 7/21/2006 06:38:00 AM  

  • I lost my grandmother recently, and even though we weren't close, it hurt tremendously. I can't even begin to imagine the pain of losing someone so young so unexpectedly. You and your family are in my prayers.

    By Blogger Shelina, at 7/21/2006 06:49:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    It's good that you were able to laugh with your family! The first year is very rough...all the "firsts" are painful. It does get easier, but the pain is never gone.

    MEGA HUGS
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7/21/2006 09:09:00 PM  

  • Judy, I'm so sorry about Daniel. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    Thank God we do not know what lies ahead of us...we need to live our life to the fullest and not in fear.

    God bless you, my friend.

    By Blogger Darcie, at 7/27/2006 07:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home