Sunshine Quilts

Monday, June 12, 2006

Wasted Days/Wasted Nights

Maybe not really wasted but not much sewing around here the last couple of days. I did get a bunch of nine patches made last night. I do love nine patch blocks. There's more that goes with each block so that these 3" nine patches are in the middle of a 9" block, and there's sashing too, and then more 3" nine patches in the border. Saturday our heat index was in the upper 90's and my poor little house stayed so hot. The A/C kicked in about 10 a.m. and at 11:30 p.m., it had not shut off once and it wasn't nearly cool in the house. I opened the windows and it cooled down and thankfully yesterday was a fairly cool day. This morning I called the A/C repairman and figured he wouldn't get here for a few days but when I looked at Accuweather Saturday, it showed our heat index for June 20 to be 101. Thank goodness it has changed and it is now saying it will be only 97. I know some people like summer but I hate it! Anyway, I was just hoping the A/C man could get here before June 20 so when I called first thing this morning, the answering lady got in touch with a repairman and said there was one in my neighborhood and he would be here when he finished the stop he was on. I still had my pj's on so I took the world's quickest shower, washed the dishes leftover from last night, mopped and vacuumed in about 10 minutes. Guess what! He didn't even come in the house but the front part of my house sure looks nice. So, he gets here and I knew the filters were dirty because you have to about take the whole unit apart to get to them and there are screws in there that scrape your hands and I can't change the filters and Vince hadn't been around enough to do it. We don't actually change them but take them out and wash them. Yes, they were dirty. They need to be washed every couple of weeks during the summer. But, it was the outside unit. The guy asked me when it had been serviced last. Serviced? We put it in four years ago so it hasn't needed servicing. WRONG! How was I supposed to know you're supposed to wash that outside unit at least once a year? The bad part was that the dryer vent blows about 2" from the outside unit, and all that fuzz and lint goes right into the unit and attaches itself to the coils so they were all clogged up. Oops . . won't happen again. Now I know! He told me to clean the outside unit every 6 months because of where the dryer vent is located. So, if you have a central unit and you haven't cleaned the outside unit in a while, go do it! Cool air again! I'm ready for whatever heat index Mother Nature has in store for me but I'm definitely ready for Fall! It was mostly a day of running errands. Chad was off today and we spent most of the afternoon running around . . bank, library, Lowe's, insurance agent, photographer (got my new pix . . anyone notice the new bio picture?) Got a bunch of new pantos from Jodi at Willow Leaf Studio. I'm anxious to quilt them. I always love her pantos. Maybe I'll load a quilt tonight and do one of them tomorrow. Yesterday I downloaded Thunderbird and Firefox and am so happy to be using both of those again. I had never switched from IE and Outlook since getting the new computer. Tomorrow is another whole day by myself. Chad is working all day, Vince is still gone so I'll get a whole lot done . . I hope! Judy

7 Comments:

  • Judy,
    WOWZER girl, you clean up real nice! That is a GREAT picture!!!!

    And thanks for the tip on the A/C...we do have ours serviced. It is by the dryer vent, but nothing has even been said about cleaning the outside unit every 6 months. Our service call is next Monday.
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6/12/2006 07:10:00 PM  

  • Can't wait to see where those beautiful nine patches go.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 6/12/2006 09:02:00 PM  

  • Yuppers, saw your new picture - I like it better too, cuz you look more youthful. :)

    And I'm soooooooo with you on the heat thing. I just want it to go away and be winter all year long. Aren't people in a more quilty mood when it's winter anyhow? And shaving legs... don't have to when I'm wearing pants all the time! ;)

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 6/12/2006 09:57:00 PM  

  • Lovely bio picture - great to pu faces to names :o) - thought it was hot here in the UK - but nothing like that, but then we're just wusses over here - isn't it just the case that you don't realise how out of order an appliance is until you get it fixed again - enjoy your new fridge (TIC)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/12/2006 11:32:00 PM  

  • sorry dyslexia of the fingers there - should read put not pu :o) - those nine patches are a real optical illusion the way youve laid them out - I couldn't work out whether it was the purple or the cream as the 5 from the nine and hten they looked like they were sashed with purple corner stones - lovely colours though

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/12/2006 11:40:00 PM  

  • I LOVE nins patches .. this blue and white are great

    By Blogger Lucy, at 6/13/2006 01:04:00 AM  

  • I'm working on a nine patch too...but mine are a bit bigger! Love the new photo, and the quilt in the background!

    Carolyn

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 6/13/2006 05:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home