Sunshine Quilts

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Entries are Submitted

The entries for the Do You EQ? Contest are due June 16 but my goal was to get them in the mail by June 1. I just now handed them to the mail man. Here are all three of them, Stars in the Meadow, Memories of Navarre and Licorice Delight. I finished the binding on the black one (Licorice Delight) late last night and hopped out of bed not long after daylight to get pictures of that one and the log cabin star (Memories of Navarre) before the rains got here. Have you ever really thought of what goes into making a quilt, especially if it's a quilt you want to enter in a contest? Not that the contest quilts always get more attention during the making process but there are all the extra steps.

  1. Decide on a design. It could be something we've seen in a magazine or a purchased pattern. Or, we could draw it all out using our favorite software. Mine happens to be Electric Quilt. If we're designing it ourselves, we have to figure out the instructions and how much yardage we need.
  2. Choose the fabric. Do you make the quilt just like the one in the pattern? Do you use your favorite colors? Do you use the colors that match your decor? Do you buy the newest and greatest fabrics at the local quilt shop? Do you just use whatever's in your stash?
  3. Make the top. Now we spend days or weeks or months making the tops. I always have fun at first til I see how it's going to turn out and then I get a bit bored with doing the same blocks over and over.
  4. Quilt it. Do you quilt it yourself? By hand or by machine? Do you send it to a longarmer? If you quilt it yourself by hand, that takes a long time. If you quilt it by machine and you do it on a sewing machine, that's not an easy task if it's a big machine. If you send it to a longarmer, that gets expensive and you may have to wait for months if your longarmer is really busy.
  5. Bind it. I try to make the binding when I finish piecing and I try to put the binding on as soon as I take the top off the longarm. Then I have the hand work to do and I always think I'll save that til some time when I have nothing else to do . . which never happens.
  6. Label it. Don't forget the label. That is so important and I am guilty of not always adding the label but I'm almost always sorry when I don't.
  7. Block it. Do you block your quilts. Every now and then I can get by without blocking one. Licorice Delight was not blocked and it hangs very straight. Not sure why they are sometimes straight and sometimes not and I seem to always do them the same way. To block mine, I lay them out in the family room floor with a sheet between the quilt and the floor. I use the flower head pins and pin about every inch or so, spritz with water and let it dry.
  8. Photograph it. When I first began entering contests, I paid a photographer $100 per quilt to photograph my quilts. Most shows required slides and there was nowhere around here to have slides made so I'd deliver my quilts to him, he'd take the pictures and in a week or so, I'd get my slides. The $100 per quilt was beginning to get expensive so I found a place online where I could e-mail digital pictures and they would make slides for me. This meant I needed a 5 MP digital camera so I bought a new one. It was about $500 back then but the 5 MP cameras are cheap now. I still love it though and have no desire to get a new one . . yet. Most of the shows now allow us to send in photos on CD's that we make at home.
  9. Forms to fill out. Every show/contest has different forms. I'm really not very organized and getting everything filled out, all the requirements as to pictures needed, fees, etc. is the hardest part for me.

It all makes me very tired just thinking about it! :)

Judy L.

13 Comments:

  • Those entries look fantastic, and I'll be rooting for you! I've never entered a contest, so it was very interesting to read about all the steps!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/01/2006 12:12:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    What's the prize that you are going to WIN??? ;o) They are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Good luck!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6/01/2006 12:50:00 PM  

  • It's the photograph part that hung me up this week. I had gotten far enough on guild fabric challenges that I thought I might enter them in the San Diego Quilt Show (not a contest) as part of a group, but my Polaroid film must be old...didn't work, and my yellow cartridge was not out, but very low, so printing from the digital camera didn't work. I missed the entry deadline. This after multiple shopping trips to get the right fabrics for one.

    Or you could say...excuses, excuses. I have not yet shown a quilt in anything but a local guild show.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/01/2006 01:48:00 PM  

  • I don't know how you do it. Not only create these beauties, but get them entered in contests and shows. It's way too mind-boggling for me. I was so nervous just getting that one ready for you for Road this year! That convinced me that I'll just happily stand on the sidelines and be your cheerleader!! (Where are my pompoms?)

    Oh, don't forget the hanging sleeves! That's another rule/reg you've got to carefully follow!

    Good luck, Judy! They look like winners to me!!!!

    xoxox

    By Blogger Vicky, at 6/01/2006 01:51:00 PM  

  • That border on the Navarre quilt is awesome - such a gorgeous shape - never used anything like EQ myself - tend to make medallion quilts and just decide what to put round next as I go along - then it's as big a surprise for me as everyone else :o)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/01/2006 03:35:00 PM  

  • Judy they are all so beautiful. You amaze me over and over by how many wonderful designs you come up with. They are really beautiful and if it was up to me, you are the winner !

    By Blogger Patty, at 6/01/2006 03:47:00 PM  

  • I've never entered a contest, either. I'm wondering what you put down for the "Techniques and Materials" on the entry form. You're going to win all kinds of lovely prizes!

    By Blogger sewprimitive karen, at 6/01/2006 05:13:00 PM  

  • I'm tired too--what a lot of work to go through. All three are lovely!

    I'll be lucky to have one entry in the local quilt show which is not juried, judged or anything at the rate I'm going.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 6/01/2006 05:34:00 PM  

  • WOW! Now I know why I've never entered a quilt competiton, just our local quilt show that allows anyone who turns up with a quilt to enter.
    I love all three of your entries. I hope you win@

    By Blogger Joyce, at 6/02/2006 05:04:00 AM  

  • Judy, your quilts are beautiful and I'm especially taken by the center one--the illusion is that the star is under a cutaway fabric that just allows you to see part of that star quilt. Love it! and I chuckled when I read that you put your bindings on right away to save handwork for "down" time--which NEVER comes! Which explains why my DJ project is at a standstill! Good luck with the contest! I'm sure one of them at least will come away a winner.

    By Blogger Passionate Quilter, at 6/02/2006 05:14:00 AM  

  • way to go on meeting your self imposed dead line! I sure hope others agree with my opinion all these quilts deserve to win :-)

    By Blogger Cher, at 6/02/2006 12:03:00 PM  

  • Wow, I had no idea what entering a quilt into a show entailed!

    Your quilts are so beautiful!

    By Blogger Judy, at 6/02/2006 02:08:00 PM  

  • yup, it makes my head spin with all that you need to do to enter a contest - probably why I never toy with the idea! I love your EQ quilt entries! They are wonderful!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 6/07/2006 10:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home