Sunshine Quilts

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Quilt Industry and New Quilt Magazines

Last week, or was it the week before that .. sometime fairly recently, Quilt Market happened. I'm on the Quilt Designers group and there was a big discussion about whether quilting is becoming less popular. Seems as though market was kinda slow for some, while others reported that it was great. Probably pretty typical I suppose. It further seems as though there are many quilt shops closing but from what I hear, there are quilt shops opening. After having been to the Paducah show, if there's any slacking in the industry, I surely didn't see it! While I don't have any answers, I just don't see the quilt industry suffering too much. Yes, the price of fabric is getting sky high, the cost of getting quilts done by a longarmer is pretty expensive so some of us may be cutting back a bit on what we spend. The online shops sometimes have better prices than the real storefronts and I do order some online but there's nothing like the experience of feeling and fondling the fabric. I cherish the advice of my local quilt shop owner, Betty. What I got from the discussion on the designers' group is that the quilt industry just needs to continue to move forward. New ideas and techniques sell. And, speaking of new ideas, there are two new quilt magazines available. The first one is Quilter's Home. I knew it was coming out and had been looking for it. This morning Vince offered to take me to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I wasn't about to pass up that offer. He wanted to stop at Wal-Mart after we ate. NO!! I have nothing against Wal-Mart but when I need something from there, I go early in the morning during the week, NEVER on Saturday. He promised to be quick and he was but while I was tagging along, I thought maybe they had Quilter's Home. I had gone to Books-A-Million yesterday looking for it but it wasn't there. Yep, Wal-Mart had it so my trip there was worth the while. Mark Lipinski is the editor. I think this magazine is going to be a big hit! There are the normal type projects in this issue but there's so much more. And, they're on pages that are meant to be torn out, whole punched and saved! There are recipes! I've often wondered why quilt magazines didn't have a few recipes in there. We all have to figure out how to get something on the table every now and then. This is the kind of magazine you really read . . cover to cover. There are funny stories! I was laughing out loud. I even read a couple of stories to Vince and he thought they were funny. Quilter's Home is new and it's different - and I like it a lot! There's a lot of good stuff in there! There's an article on copyright, which has been a hot topic lately. There's an article on podcasts which I need to try. I recommend that you all buy this first issue and see if you are not impressed. The second new magazine is Cotton Spice. The first issue isn't out yet but the online issue is available at the web site. This one is published by Karen Murphy Gass. She is doing it all on her own and I can't imagine what a challenge this must be. I've read the online issue and am looking forward to receiving the printed issue . . maybe next week! Karen has been a quilter for years and if you read the online issue, you will see her story about starting Cotton Spice and her thoughts on the need for a magazine with "contemporary fresh" ideas. I believe this will be another great magazine and have already subscribed. Congratulations to Mark and Karen on having a dream and taking the steps to make it happen. I wish you both much success! Judy L.

14 Comments:

  • Oooh, I'll be looking for Quilter's Home this week!
    Jeanne :)

    By Blogger  Jeanne, at 6/04/2006 07:28:00 AM  

  • Thanks for the information Judy! I'll keep my eyes open for these! I'm getting bored with my quilt mags...seems they are all the same...
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6/04/2006 07:38:00 AM  

  • Thanks for the info on these magazines, Judy. I'll stop by WalMart while I'm out today to see if they have it.

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 6/04/2006 08:46:00 AM  

  • Thank you for the tip Judy . when I am in america this summer I will looking forward to them

    By Blogger Lucy, at 6/04/2006 10:35:00 AM  

  • Well, thanks to you Judy, I got suckered into buying my first quilting magazine! :) (I do have 3 that were given to me though)

    Haven't read it yet - saving it for when I need to go over to the in-laws and fuss with laundry in half an hour. Well... I did sneak peak at the Thin Quilters article - very amused about the lady who has her sewing machine on one floor and her ironing board on the other! :)

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 6/04/2006 01:33:00 PM  

  • My WalMart didn't have it, but the quilt shop did. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm fixing to head over to the sofa for a good read!

    By Blogger Vicky, at 6/04/2006 04:15:00 PM  

  • I just read Cotton Spice web magazine. Wow! What a great way to enjoy a cup of tea before going to bed. I was just in Wal-Mart today and didn't even think to look at their magazine rack. I'm flying to Minnesota later this week. I'll have to find the magazine before I leave. Thanks for sharing these new magazines.

    By Blogger Sweet P, at 6/04/2006 06:11:00 PM  

  • Maybe I'll have to go to Walmart and look for it too... :)

    I try to stay out of there, at all times, not just when they're busy.

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 6/04/2006 09:22:00 PM  

  • Judy, can you check the Quilter's Home magazine for a website or phone number? I'd like to get a subscription. Things like that are really hard to find around here.

    Thanks!

    By Blogger Patti, at 6/05/2006 01:03:00 PM  

  • Thanks for the magazine info. I've been house bound a few weeks due to surgery and have read and re-read all my quilty books and magazines a half-dozen times. I will send DH to Walmart in search of Quilter's Home.

    By Blogger Quilty bird, at 6/05/2006 01:58:00 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing these new magazines with us, I will be on the lookout for them.

    By Blogger Laura, at 6/06/2006 10:22:00 AM  

  • I bought the Quilter's Home magazine last Friday and enjoyed most of it. I hope it continues along the same direction. I am definetly going to try and check out Cotton Spice it looks really good as well.c

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/06/2006 06:36:00 PM  

  • Thanks for the info Judy. I've been looking for a new magazine to subscribe to. I'll have to check these out.

    Thanks Lizzy

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/07/2006 07:19:00 AM  

  • Thanks for the heads up on the magazines. I can't imagine that quilting is getting less popular it may be that the market is/was getting crowded. There are more options now than I can ever remember!

    By Blogger YankeeQuilter, at 6/07/2006 08:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home