Sunshine Quilts

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Perspective!

Owensboro! What a funny little town. I'm not saying I don't like it here . . it's just the strangest place. I guess what causes it to be this way is that most everyone who lives here would be a descendant of those first settlers who arrived in Daviess County in 1780. Why they stopped here, I will never know. But, they did and if you can't trace your roots back to there, you might as well stamp "I'm not from here!" on your forehead. You may not believe this but there is rarely a time that I go out that someone doesn't say "you're not from here, are ya?" I used to say "No, I'm not. I have all my teeth!" But I soon learned that was offending to the natives! Anyway, I went to Hancock's today to get something to cover my tomatoes. The bread store is right close so I stopped by there. They have the most wonderful bread and my friend, Becky (who is from here and will not like this entry!) gave me a gift certificate from there for my birthday. Thanks Becky! They had this little flower pot of "seeds" sitting on the counter with ink pens in it. I should learn to keep my mouth shut (not gonna happen) and no one would know "I'm not from here!" but I said "are those some of the seeds you use in your bread?" I could tell from the look I got that they were not seeds used in the bread and I should have known better. The nice lady proceeded to explain to me that they were wheat berries. Now, how many of you know what wheat berries are? She explained that every morning they mill the wheat berries for the bread and she told me the difference about how you get white flour by shelling (I don't think that's the word) the outer part of the berry off. It was very interesting and then she said "haven't you seen wheat growing?" Yes, but just from the road. Then came the dreaded "You aren't from here, are you?" No, damn it. I am NOT. She was so sweet and she wasn't being mean at all . . it's just something *everyone* around here says! I guess I looked at her like I was offended and she said "That's ok . .you're just not a country girl!" On the way home, I'm thinking . . what am I? I'm surely not a city girl! I have a rabbit living in my back yard who has decided he's part of the family. I have tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, flowers and herbs growing in my back yard. I have a generator because we're so far out in the county and the power goes off in the winter for days. My home address is a highway number . . not even a cute street name. I have to pay extra for UPS deliveries because I'm rural! Goodness. City folks would think I am a country bumkin! This is why I should move back to Louisiana where I'm just ME! It doesn't matter where you're from, where your grandparents live, and I doubt anyone there knows about wheat berries! I did get netting and covered the tomatoes. I probably should go out there and weight down the bottom of the netting with bricks. Probably won't get me on the cover of Progressive Farmer magazine but I think this will keep the Japanese bettles and the birds away. Judy L.

14 Comments:

  • Hi Judy,don't worry yourself, this is not a great problem!
    Also I have this, people realize from my accent when I talk to them,
    but I always respond fair the place where I was born:))) Have a great Sunday!

    By Blogger Simonetta, at 6/10/2006 01:52:00 PM  

  • *cough*iknowaboutwheatberries*cough*

    Only cuz my mom was panicking about the doom of the year 2000 swinging by, so she stocked up on a bunch of canned goods and wheat berries. My favorite is Nova Wheat Berries. There's red and white wheat. There's hard and soft wheat. And I can't find any local to me. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 6/10/2006 02:10:00 PM  

  • I wouldn't have recognized them either! The only way I might have heard of them is as a filler for those pillows/sacks you make and heat in the microwave to put on your achy spots.

    But I could be wrong, and maybe if you microwave wheat berries, they make popped (puffed?) wheat! :)

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 6/10/2006 05:56:00 PM  

  • I sure can relate to your perspective today. I have been in SoCal for a little over 12 years, and every single darn day someone has asked me where I'm from. It's often preceded by, "Can I ask you something?" to which I reply, "You want to know where I come from, right?"

    And if it's any consolation, I wouldn't have known what those were either. :)

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 6/10/2006 06:03:00 PM  

  • Now Judy, if we went to LA and just spoke one word we would get... you're not from here are you.... LOL
    I was born and raised in the mountains of NC and now live in the eastern part of the state and hear you're not from here are you alot. Yeah, I know about wheat berries. thanks for giving me a good laugh tonight.

    By Blogger Peggy, at 6/10/2006 09:38:00 PM  

  • My kids heard that all their lives until they moved to the small town where my mother and father both went to school. THat put an end to that question even though they weren't actually from there they had the right roots. They said it was liberating. It can get annoying hearing that question but it is the same wherever you live in a small town.

    By Blogger Joyce, at 6/11/2006 05:46:00 AM  

  • Hey - I thought they were peanuts...I know where your comin' from. When we first moved up here, kids got sent home from school for saying 'Yes Ma'am'... it was considered sassing....Did you notice when your kid graduated high school that your parents didn't go to his here, you weren't an alumni and you felt like you would never fit in? Just sit back and laugh...would you really want to fit?????

    By Blogger Melanie, at 6/11/2006 05:46:00 AM  

  • LOL - I'm an air force brat and my husband is retired from the air force so I've lived all over the world! I'd love to have a penny for every time I heard "you're not from here, are you?" I felt your frustration, Judy! LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/11/2006 07:37:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    This post made me laugh! Thanks!!! I get that even here in KS and this is a VERY transient area...people say "OH, you're not from here...you have an accent." To which I reply, "No, I am NOT from here...I am from MN...it's God's country!" That shuts 'em up! LOL
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6/11/2006 02:46:00 PM  

  • Ya know...even though you aren't from around there, I'm sure you could teach them a thing or two! :o)
    Sorry...but I do know what wheat berries are. I buy 'em by the 50lb bag and grind them to make all of our bread. Now, go and tell some of the locals that, and they'll think that you've grown a third eye..or at least it's that way around where I live...and I'm from here! :oP

    By Blogger Tracey, at 6/12/2006 05:48:00 AM  

  • I buy honey wheatberry bread sometimes, but would not be able to identify a stand-alone wheatberry...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/12/2006 09:15:00 AM  

  • Hmmm ... sounds like from her description that they are wheat "seeds" that they grind up and use to make bread. Thus, seeds they use in their bread. Sounds like she was just nitpicking you!! :)

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 6/12/2006 10:54:00 AM  

  • Hmmm, I never heard about wheat berries - and now I know what they look like and what they are!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 6/17/2006 05:22:00 PM  

  • LOLOLOLOLOL I haven't visited in awhile Judy but this post just had me in stitches!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/18/2006 06:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home