Sunshine Quilts

Monday, March 13, 2006

Kitchen Privileges

I may lose my kitchen privileges soon. I had another fire in the kitchen this morning. Amazing as it sounds, I don't panic nearly as much as I used to when these things happen. I stood there for a minute thinking . . is this bad enough to call the fire department? Then I decided that the first thing I should do is grab the camera so I could get a picture for the blog. By the time I got the memory stick out of the computer, the fire was out. No picture for the blog, no fire department call . . just a stinky house! I was cleaning the oven. Yes, it was long overdue but I have an excuse! We bought this oven a little over a year ago and the first time I cleaned it, the oven wouldn't open again. No way . . it was stuck shut! After about 10 days of having no oven, Whirlpool finally got someone out here to fix it. Warranty work apparently doesn't rate real high on Whirlpool's schedule. Some kind of switch (or something technical) was bent. The repairman ordered a new one but just bent the old one back so it worked. He told Vince he could just keep the new one and if the old one ever stopped working, showed him how to change it. Every time I thought about cleaning the oven, I'd decide to wait because there was always something coming up and I needed the oven and had no idea how long it would take for Vince to fix the switch if the oven door didn't open. I promised myself I'd clean it after getting Vince's birthday cake made. So, I waited way too long and there were just a few too many splatters in the oven and when it heated up to clean . . well, the splatters all caught fire inside the oven. I couldn't open the door because it was latched during the cleaning process. I figured the fire would stay inside the oven and even if the firemen came, they couldn't open the oven door either. Anyway, fire is out, house stinks! I turned off the cleaning cycle, let it all cool down, got in there with Softscrub and cleaned as much as I could, and now the cleaning cycle is on again. And, this weekend there was a family of six that died in an house fire in southern Indiana. Vince and I were talking about why people don't have smoke alarms and I told him . . hmmmm, I don't think we've changed the batteries in the smoke alarms in this house since we've been here(four years!). He was going to check them because he thinks they don't take batteries. Not sure about that but there was a tremendous amount of smoke in the house this morning and no alarms went off. Not good! The good news is . . the roofers got out to the other house today and were able to get the roof patched to keep the rain out. The estimate for repairs to the roof and a new roof were even more than we had thought but . . it has to be done so it's scheduled for right after we get back from Spring Break. Hopefully Vince can do the repairs inside, depending on how much damage is done to the ceiling. I think we have a $7,500 deductible now on wind damage and by the time they pro-rate the cost of the new roof, it probably isn't worth turning in to insurance. It surely costs a lot to live these days! Judy L.

15 Comments:

  • One reason for not having smoke alarms is those that are too sensitive. I had one that went off whenever I made toast (made, not burned!). I disabled that one, but kept the ones by the bedrooms.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/13/2006 02:07:00 PM  

  • Stay away from my DH. This morning he was going to make French Toast for our DDs. He turned the electric skillet on an went into the other room to get dressed. He hadn't even taken the eggs out of the fridge. Can you believe that he was actually offended that I told him he was MORE THAN preheating the thing? LOL! Gotta love him!
    Kairle

    By Blogger Kairle Oaks, at 3/13/2006 02:21:00 PM  

  • thanks for the chuckle Judy...I like the fact that you were more interested in getting a photo than worrying about the fire *vbg* Sounds like maybe you need a break from the kitchen

    By Blogger Cher, at 3/13/2006 05:25:00 PM  

  • Well, life is not dull around your place lately !!! Glad you kept your wits about you and didn't panic. I do think you need to keep two memory sticks for the camera so that you always have it ready to take pictures for the BLOG : )
    Glad all turned out well !

    By Blogger Patty, at 3/13/2006 07:13:00 PM  

  • Oh, my! I don't know which is funnier (now that everyone's safe)...this or the squash in the microwave!

    By Blogger Linda (Petey), at 3/13/2006 07:31:00 PM  

  • Maybe I should clean my oven - I've had it almost a year and a half and haven't cleaned it yet.

    Whirlpool definitely does not place a priority on warrenty work - I had a motor go bad on a brand new diswasher and it took a month to get it back up and running. I was very unhappy with them.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 3/13/2006 08:08:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    You're killin' me here! LOL...could ya just have a boring day please??? Honestly, I'm glad everything is ok...who needs a clean oven anyway!!?????
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 3/13/2006 08:32:00 PM  

  • Happy to hear that you're all OK. Must remember to check our smoke detector batteries too.

    By Blogger Jan Mac, at 3/14/2006 12:57:00 AM  

  • Judy--ever think you should stay out of the kitchen and just quilt? LOL I mean, after all--look what happened in your microwave? I think it's an omen...Judy must quilt, Judy must quilt!

    Glad to hear all is okay though--and I, too, thought it funny that you were thinking how you could get a picture of it! too funny! Love your sense of humor.

    By Blogger Passionate Quilter, at 3/14/2006 04:53:00 AM  

  • ....and it's a BAD thing to lose kitchen 'privileges'??? I don't know....I'm looking at it as MORE TIME TO QUILT!! :oP

    By Blogger Tracey, at 3/14/2006 05:38:00 AM  

  • LOL! I have to say I'm not sure of your priorities looking for the camera first! And I have to agree with other comments. I'd LOVE to lose kitchen "privileges"

    On another note, beware of smoke alarms that are hardwired into the electrical system and don't require batteries. If you have an electrical fire that trips your breaker then your smoke detecters do not work! Years ago we had that happen and ended up with a gutted bedroom and major smoke damage in the rest of the house. So even though my home came with hardwired smoke detectors, I also have a battery powered ones too.

    By Blogger Nancy, at 3/14/2006 09:04:00 AM  

  • Oh Judy, well I am glad that all ended ok. I think the fire departments recommend day light savings 2X a year to check batteries. I also have carbon monoxide detectors since I have a friend who almost died from this! And her little girl. Little boy went to school and DH to work, so although they got sick - not as badly. Yikes!

    Sounds like maybe you could use a dinner out sometime soon!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 3/14/2006 09:47:00 AM  

  • Judy, if you get any flack from DH about this, tell him it was probably a delayed reaction from his birthday candles!

    And not having kitchen privileges sounds wonderful. Think of all those cabinets that could be used for stash!

    I'm not laughing at your situation -- but you have to admit it's funny that you were thinking of pictures! LOL

    Hang in there, sweetie! All these house "happenings" are bound to settle down soon!

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 3/14/2006 05:16:00 PM  

  • I say a good reason not to cook!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 3/15/2006 01:22:00 PM  

  • Scary story! Glad it turned out ok for you this time. I don't like to clean the oven either. Since the range has gotten older, I think the insulation isn't as good, and it seems very hot on the outside.

    Enjoyed your Louisiana stats. My sister lives in Louisiana and would be interested. Indiana usually comes in right behind all the southern states as 44 or 45. :)

    By Blogger Kay, at 3/15/2006 04:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home