Sunshine Quilts

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Stranger than Fiction!

If you're thinking that's a heating pad that may have just caught on fire . . you'd be correct!! All day I've been scared to touch anything. This morning I thought about making some adjustments to the longarm that required using a screw driver and then I decided to wait til I've had a few days with no catastrophes. I heated up some homemade soup and made a salad for lunch. That went fine . . nothing wrong. I smoked chickens for dinner, made hash brown potatoes to go with those. That went fine . . nothing wrong. It's 8:00 p.m. The day is almost over. I was feeling confident that I may have made it without incident through the entire day. Chad comes in to where I'm quilting and said "Mom, the heating pad caught on fire!" Vince hurt his back, apparently Friday while trying to figure out what to do about the roof so he's had the heating pad on his back all weekend and during lunch. Chad said he decided to put it on his back to see how it felt. Yesterday Vince said "This heating pad gets hotter than the one I have at home." Yep, it got just a little too hot! It burned the cover, burned holes through Chad's shirt but just scorched his undershirt and didn't burn his skin. Thankfully, he unplugged it and threw it outside before coming to tell me. If you think I'm really getting paranoid about what might happen next, you are right! Sure hope my insurance agent doesn't happen across my blog! I've had two real house fires (in 1979 a whole house burned and in 1992 about half our house burned but there was arson with both of them and I wasn't the suspect!) and this is really getting to be scary for me.

14 Comments:

  • Are you beginning to think that you should just get in bed and pull the covers up over your head and just stay there? What a horrid time you are having lately!

    Glad that Vince and Chad did not get burned with that heating pad or take the couch or whatever with it.

    By Blogger Linda_J, at 3/14/2006 07:26:00 PM  

  • Good grief! I have never seen a heating pad catch on fire!!!

    Think happy thoughts! (While hiding in your bedroom.)

    By Blogger deputyswife, at 3/14/2006 08:11:00 PM  

  • maybe it's time for that cruise?

    By Blogger debby, at 3/14/2006 08:23:00 PM  

  • When are you heading for Louisiana? And should I warn them you're coming? LOL

    Okay, enough already! You're due for a normal day, for sure!!

    xoxox

    By Blogger Vicky, at 3/14/2006 08:27:00 PM  

  • Well thankfully, with the list of disasters, no-one has been hurt. That is the important thing. I would mail that heating pad to the company that made it with a letter- they might need to re-think their design!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 3/14/2006 09:47:00 PM  

  • The heating pad itself just has holes in it. The cover that was on it pretty much melted and burned the holes in Chad's shirt.

    There were 2 brand new, still in boxes, smoke alarms in the garage when we bought this house. I checked the ones that are installed and they say they are working and they are hard wired into the house.

    I brought one of the ones in from the garage, put a battery in it and now I should be covered.

    I did write Sunbeam via their customer comments form on their web site. This heating pad isn't 3 months old so I'll be anxious to see what they have to say about it.

    Judy L.

    By Blogger JudyL, at 3/14/2006 09:52:00 PM  

  • They say things come in threes so maybe this is it. Hopefully.

    By Blogger dot, at 3/14/2006 09:59:00 PM  

  • I'd be a major pain in the butt with the company. No nice letter from me! Someone could have been seriously hurt! LAWSUIT! :)

    By Anonymous Jen, at 3/14/2006 10:09:00 PM  

  • EWWW You might need to just sit down and read a book or maybe do a bit of hand work...

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 3/15/2006 04:42:00 AM  

  • My goodness. I hate fire. We lost a garage to fire. Fortunately it wasn't windy so it didn't hit our house. Maybe you should get rid of all things flammable!

    By Blogger Heather Smith, at 3/15/2006 07:05:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    I'm thinking a hotel might be the ticket for now! ;) GOSH...your life is waaaaaaaaay too dangerous right now...stay calm! BREATHE...and remember that 9-1-1 is ALWAYS an option...don't forget how to dial that...

    SERIOUSLY...miss ya and out chats! Ya gotta come up for air sooner or later!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 3/15/2006 08:08:00 AM  

  • Wow, Judy! I'm glad that no one got hurt!!!

    Just a word of warning...if you feel a fever coming on, quickly jump in the shower. It could be spontanious cumbustion! ;-) Okay...just kidding!
    Kairle

    By Blogger Happy Valley Quilter, at 3/15/2006 12:00:00 PM  

  • have you considered looking for a 4 leaf clover ? A rabbits foot perhaps ?

    By Blogger Patty, at 3/15/2006 08:54:00 PM  

  • I have been a bad blog reader this week, and am just catching up on your fires... Be careful!

    By Anonymous Samantha, at 3/17/2006 01:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home