Sunshine Quilts

Friday, January 13, 2006

The Making of a Quilt Label

Or . . the way they're made at my house. The labels I made yesterday were made using Miracle Fabric Sheets. That isn't where I got mine but it has a good picture of how you basically make the label. This was the first time I've used these sheets. There are sheets made by Printed Treasures that also work great. I've used the June Tailor fabric and do not like it at all. In the past, I've mostly treated my own fabric using Bubble Jet Set and Bubble Jet Rinse with Southern Belle muslin. The Southern Belle is a very tightly woven (200 thread count) very smooth fabric. I'm guessing the fabric used for Printed Treasures and the Miracle sheets is Southern Belle or something very similar. It all feels the same. The artwork came from Dover Publications. Most of their art is copyright free and is fantastic for making labels, newsletters, etc. Some of the art on the labels I made yesterday came from the "Frames and Borders" book and some came from the "Floral Vignettes" book. Both of these (and many others) come with all the art on CD and on glossy paper. I find the Dover publications to be very, very good for the price. They are always my favorite booth at the Paducah & Nashville shows. They have little books in the $1 - $2 range and the drawings can be enlarged for applique or thread play or even quilting designs. So, I find the artwork I want to use, open it in Paint Shop Prop. Sometimes the perfect artwork has writing in it. One I used yesterday (the double hearts) said "Happy Valentine's Day" so I had to take that out and add the text I wanted. The lady for Tina's label as just as you see her. I just added text. The single heart is half of the double heart. I removed the white heart, cloned sections to get a full purple heart and added text on the side. The label with the two pansies, that's just a little picture from the floral book. I copied it into the upper left corner, then did a mirror image for the lower right corner. Because I'm not very good with Paint Shop Pro, once I get the picture the way I want it, I save it, and either copy it or import it into a Word document and do the rest from there. With the pre-treated sheets, I just stick one in and print. I have an ancient HP 820 CSE printer but it isn't speaking with my new laptop and they may never mend the fences. I think the old printer is too old to communicate with the new fangled software on the laptop. Vince is going to work on the printer router this weekend and see if he can get it to work. If he can't, I'm stuck with the Canon el cheapo that came with the new desktop but is currently hooked up to the laptop because for some reason, the old printer will work with the new desktop. Goodness . . I am so glad Vince can deal with the technology at our house. Both printers are inkjet. Ok . . I'm resembling Darcie. I'm sidetracked! I printed the labels, putting two on each sheet and then followed the directions. Remove the heavy duty paper from the back of the fabric. Iron (no steam) the wrong side of the label, rinse in cold water or Bubble Jet Rinse (which I did because I had it). Let it dry and poof .. that's it! Judy

5 Comments:

  • great information Judy! I play around some with labels..but, try and keep it simple and easy. Cher

    By Blogger Cher, at 1/13/2006 09:40:00 PM  

  • You definately sound like a Piant Shop pro & your stuff looks professional.....

    I need to find some of that Southern Belle - I want to transfer Photos to fabric & that sounds like the perfect fabric. (There is a local shop that will "do the work" really well!)

    BTW thanks for the recipe link.... (I am about to link back...)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 1/14/2006 08:31:00 AM  

  • I've done just about everything for labels. I liked the Bubble jet too but got tired of the time it took to treat the fabric and iron it onto freezer paper before feeding in thru the printer.

    Now sometimes I use the Printed treasures fabric sheets or some preprinted fabric labels that I just write on, and when I'm really lazy - just my initials and the year using my sewing machines letter.

    My earlier quilts had nicer labels now I'm just ready to be done with it and move on by the time I get to the label part. The two quilts I did for people in December went out without any labeling - shame on me!

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 1/14/2006 03:32:00 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing how you do it. I may just try it. I was going to embroider all my information. but the lables sound much easier

    By Blogger Patty, at 1/14/2006 03:59:00 PM  

  • Thanks so much for the instructions. I've never used my computer to print onto fabric -- well that's not entirely true, but when I tried it I ended up with a complete dye run... May have to try these sheets, as they sound like fun.

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 1/14/2006 05:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home