Sunshine Quilts

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Longarmer's Worst Customer

That would be me! This morning I was all set to quilt Tina's quilt. I washed the flannel, then had to cut it into three pieces to put it back together again to get the backing the right size. Hmmmm, wonder why there's so much left over because I was cutting off the bolt and though I had cut off the right amount. Put all the pieces together, pressed it and loaded it on the longarm. Started to load Tina's quilt. OOPS! Something isn't right. For some dumb reason, I cut the strips 68" when I should have cut them 78" so it wasn't wide enough and there wasn't enough flannel left to make it right unless I added a bunch of seams which I didn't want to do. But, I'm not about to take that backing fabric off so I went and found another quilt that was only 62" wide so it would work . . even though that wasn't the backing I had intended to use for the purple & yellow quilt. It really worked out fine though because I wasn't totally sold on the idea of using flannel on Tina's quilt and she likes country type things and I think I remember that she likes antiques. While quilting today, I decided a panto probably isn't the best choice for her quilt so . . I'm kinda glad I messed up the flannel! Another backing is in the dryer and if I finish the purple and yellow quilt tonight, I'll load the backing for Tina's quilt. Now . . what is it that I tell my longarm clients? Measure twice/cut once! Make sure those backings are perfectly square and large enough! Guess I should learn to take my own advice! The bad news is that Chad ended up with an "F" for math the second quarter. I guess I should be happy that he had a "C" the first quarter, so he ended up with a "D" for the semester which, according to him is passing. How many times can one kid take Algebra II? The worse news is probably that this is the last semester before graduation and he has Algebra III. No "do overs" before graduation. I'm thinking by the looks of his report card (for the semester he had 2 C's and 2 D's), that money I've been saving for college . . might just stay in my savings account for a very long time! Wish I knew what he thinks he's going to do with his life!! Judy . . a distressed mom!

7 Comments:

  • Judy,
    Oh I just hate it when I do that! I messed up the backing for my FIL's cowboy qult too...had an extra seam in it that it shouldn't have had but I didn't have other fabric for it. SO...it went together with an extra seam!

    As for Chad...Dan said the same thing about getting a "D" in English. He told me he passed! I said, what, with a "D"...and he said yeah. I said and I'm supposed to be HAPPY? He said i thought you would be! GRRRRRRRRR...they just don't get it.

    Don't waste your money though. Let Chad get a job and pay and you can reimburse when he has a 3.0 or better! TRUST me on this one! I'm speaking from experience...2 times worth of experience!
    Hugs
    Laurie
    PS(how are those bindings coming along?)

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1/10/2006 07:00:00 PM  

  • It will get better - he will have bills and tehn make up his mind that maybe a college job even tech/med. arts school job is better....

    But then again that could change... My uncle trained to be an auto mechanic - exhaust all the time - cold inthe winter/hot in the summer - he isn't mechanicing any more....

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 1/11/2006 05:44:00 AM  

  • I hear you on Chad...I had the biggest challenge getting my younger son through high school to his diploma-he had to take a summer class after "graduation" but got there. It took him until he was 28 to realize college was the answer-some kids take longer to find their way! He is doing great now! I am sure there are many other moms of boys that can share similar stories. Good for you to come up with another quilt to go with the flannel backing! another quilt almost done is a good thing-Cher

    By Blogger Cher, at 1/11/2006 06:24:00 AM  

  • Okay, what is a Panto? Good luck with Chad ... that's one good thing about dogs! :) I am sure Chad'll do great. Maybe a community college to start with?

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 1/11/2006 08:26:00 AM  

  • Laurie Ann: A panto is a roll pattern that we follow with a laser light and it's basically a continuous design that is repeated across the entire quilt.

    Judy

    By Blogger Granny, at 1/11/2006 09:35:00 AM  

  • Sounds like quite a day. My advice on Chad, "this too shall pass". At some point he will figure out he needs to study. They do grow up in time and decide you are actually wise. Its just it doesn't happen until they are oh 25 or so. Like the saying goes, "its hard to put a wise head on a young body."
    He'll catch on in time.

    By Blogger Patty, at 1/11/2006 03:56:00 PM  

  • Don't waste your money on a 4 year college. Chad needs a wakeup call in community college or the real world. The best solution would be community college and the real world. He can work 10-15 hours/week and still go to college & still pass. Help him find a job in the field he loves and he will not feel like he is really working but will see what he has to do to become the Boss. There's nothing like being at the bottom of the heap to motivate a 20 year old boy (& having a Mom with a corvette helps too!--I told my son: "You could have one of these too when you graduate from college and have a nice high paying job!")

    Going from the top of the food chain in high school to the bottom of the food chain in college (or the real world) is a quick drop. Most guys don't like being on the bottom (except sometimes *wink*)!

    You'll get there, MOM!

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 1/12/2006 08:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home