Sunshine Quilts

Friday, January 20, 2006

Penny Pincher at our House

I'm pretty frugal (except when it comes to buying fabric). There was a day when I spent exorbitant amounts on clothes, shoes, purses, fingernails, etc. but I no longer do that. My husband should be happy but somehow I don't think he is. I'm not complaining about him so don't get the wrong idea. I'm laughing my rear end off today. Yesterday was another story. Vince has been working on getting all our tax stuff together. I figure it's due April 15 so April 14 is a great day to start thinking about that. Not Vince! Our tax return is probably the first one the IRS receives every year. I just don't get it though because half the stuff we need doesn't arrive til mid-February it seems. So, he's meticulously entering everything in a spread sheet. Oh . . I have a spreadsheet that he and the CPA created for me last year. I do not know how on earth I can put those numbers in and then things don't add up for anyone but me but . . that's a whole nuther story! So, he has everything in the spreadsheet. He calls me and he asks me if I have any idea how much we spent last year eating out! No, I have no idea. We rarely eat out but we did spend 2 days on the road going to Louisiana, 7 days in Louisiana eating out, 2 days on the road returning home and then a trip to Georgia, 7 days there but we hardly ate out while there, and another day on the road returning home. We do occasionally go out but probably not more than once a month. I figured if we'd spent less than $4,000 eating out, that was good. Well, it was WAY less than $4,000 . . about 1/4th of that amount. I just didn't get it . . still don't. He said he just wanted to make sure I knew. That conversation didn't really end well but I got over it. That's not the best story. While continuing to meticulously crunch the numbers, he noticed that Synergy (our local phone service) had gone up on their rates so he called and switched back to Bell South. But, what he didn't realize was that this was going to screw up the DSL through Earthlink. He got home from work today and had no internet. He began calling Earthlink and found out that during the switch, we were not given a DSL line, blah, blah and because the change "cancelled" our contract, his credit card had already been charged $150 for cancelling before the contract was over. And, if he wanted to reinstate Earthlink DSL, there would be an additional $90 charge and in 15 short days, he would have internet again. OMG! I would not have wanted to be on the other end of that conversation. After about 4 hours on the phone with several people, he got the $150 credited back to the credit card, got the $90 fee waived and will have internet again in 4 or 5 days. Now . . do you want to know how much money he saved by switching from Synergy to Bell South? Do you really want to know?? He is saving $1/month! I don't think I understand his thinking sometime most of the time. Judy

12 Comments:

  • Oh, I can SO RELATE. But, it's me that is so tight I squeek when I walk...or so dh claims. EXCEPT when it comes to quilting stuff. It is my one weakness. Too funny on Vince's ordeal though. :o)

    By Blogger Tracey, at 1/21/2006 05:30:00 AM  

  • I'll bet that my return beats your return to the IRS! My DH has already set up our appointment with the accountant to prepare and file the taxes. Great story, Judy...men are men...can't live with em, can't live without em!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 1/21/2006 05:44:00 AM  

  • $1.00? Guess you can eat out a few more times this next year, right? With all that money saved? LOL!

    And our tax return is also one of the first to go too. Hubby is waiting for one more thing and then it's off to the preparer (a friend accountant)

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 1/21/2006 06:41:00 AM  

  • Men !! LOL

    By Blogger Lucy, at 1/21/2006 07:06:00 AM  

  • yes, the one word sums it up..however I would pick the word "penny pincher" - as in notice pennies saved , but may miss dollars wasted LOL...still, a great story and appreciated.

    By Blogger Cher, at 1/21/2006 09:37:00 AM  

  • My deepest sympathy on the outcome of the whole day!!! So glad you have your quilts to retreat to, and play!!!

    By Blogger Finn, at 1/21/2006 12:13:00 PM  

  • ROFLMAO...too funny! MEN! And thank goodness you are ROFLMAO or he'd be dead! ;-)
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1/21/2006 01:02:00 PM  

  • I love it! Sounds so familiar! :)

    By Blogger La Tea Dah, at 1/21/2006 01:35:00 PM  

  • What a Hoot!

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 1/21/2006 06:02:00 PM  

  • Judy, I go shopping for fabric when my husband wants to work on the budget or does the money thing. Its just easier to not be around

    By Blogger Patty, at 1/21/2006 07:40:00 PM  

  • *LMAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!* MEN!! Can't live with them, can't understand them...is it a wonder we bury ourselves in our quilting rooms and fondle fabric! *hehehe*

    And I can understand completely because Yes, I AM married to an ACCOUNTANT!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 1/22/2006 11:09:00 AM  

  • Oh now this story made me laugh and almost pee in my pants! Let's make sure we NEVER get Mark and Vince together! They may just get too many ideas from each other and you and I would suffer!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 1/25/2006 06:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home