Sunshine Quilts

Monday, January 09, 2006

Another Good Sewing Day

I finished the top I'm making for the chaplain's wife. I am honestly not much of a maverick, and I see it more and more as I see what other members of the Maverick ring do. I guess this is about as maverick as I get. These are the blocks for the quilt I'm making for Tina. I've already posted this picture but am doing it again so you'll see the plain blocks and then the whole top together. They're pretty basic, plain, quick blocks, right? But then I added a pieced sashing, a simple four patch border and I am happy with the way it turned out. Looks totally different with the sashing. I'll post a better picture once I get it quilted. It is about 64 x 86 so that should be a good sofa snuggle quilt for her. I think I'm going to do the formal garden panto on it. I agreed today to continue teaching quilting for our community education program. They let me teach at any of the county schools I choose and I've been teaching at the high school which is about 3 minutes from my house. I had told them I wasn't going to teach any more, mostly because the girl running the program has had so much going on in her life and it's been very hard to communicate with her and I never felt like I knew what was going on with my classes. She assured me things will be different next semester so I'll give it another shot. Another night when I didn't get the binding finished on the two heart quilts. I have to get that done tomorrow! Judy

17 Comments:

  • I like your finished quilt very much! It is really amazing how different border treatments or settings will totally change the appearance of blocks. That is a part of quilt making I really enjoy - playing... "Let's see.."

    I am sure she will really love snuggling under this cuddle quilt.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 1/09/2006 10:43:00 PM  

  • I've never seen a sashing like this before, it's a perfect foil for your stars. I reckon it's pretty maverick!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/10/2006 03:11:00 AM  

  • I love how the sashing looks woven in out in out through the quilt! It's awesome! The panto is great for a quilt like this too. Sometimes they just FIT the quilt. I'm doing a quilt for a customer right now using the "whirly gig sm" panto from willow leaf. The quilt is all florals, very busy, no way anything else would show up detail wise, and it's giving the quilt a great texture....I can't wait to see yours quilted!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 1/10/2006 05:33:00 AM  

  • I like what you did with the sashingj. It adds a lot of movement!

    By Blogger Deb Geyer, at 1/10/2006 07:17:00 AM  

  • Wow! I love the 4-patch border but I really love the dashed sashing! Now that is a really cool idea! I've never seen that before! I LOVE it!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 1/10/2006 07:18:00 AM  

  • Love the sashing. It turned an ordinary quilt into something definately maverick.

    By Blogger Nancy, at 1/10/2006 08:23:00 AM  

  • Very nice! It is amazing what that sashing does. Really transforms those blocks. She will love it! What is a "panto" I can see that it is some kind of quilting, but what does it mean?

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 1/10/2006 08:25:00 AM  

  • Lovely quilt.....

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 1/10/2006 09:00:00 AM  

  • Very impressive ! I love the sashing. Love the colors too.
    You do beautiful work.

    By Blogger Patty, at 1/10/2006 10:07:00 AM  

  • Very unique. The sashing makes the quilt. I like the colors too I'm sure she'll love the quilt.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 1/10/2006 10:39:00 AM  

  • This sashing idea is great!
    Lynn

    By Blogger Lynn Dykstra, at 1/10/2006 10:45:00 AM  

  • Boy oh boy, the sashing and border makes ALL the difference in the world! Makes those ordinary looking blocks just sing. Very, very nice...another job well done Judy!!! *VBS*

    By Blogger Finn, at 1/10/2006 11:43:00 AM  

  • Gosh Judy,
    You just continue to WOW us!!! That sashing is TO DIE for! I am glad you posted the 3 blocks first and then the finished top! TOTALLY JAZZED it up!!!

    Now, GET THOSE BINDINGS DONE!!!! ;o)
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1/10/2006 11:45:00 AM  

  • What a great quilt with great sashings !!

    By Blogger Lucy, at 1/10/2006 11:50:00 AM  

  • I like this quilt -- love the sashing and border treatments -- looks maverick to me!

    By Blogger Joanne, at 1/10/2006 02:14:00 PM  

  • What a difference sashing and border can make. Thanks for sharing it.

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 1/10/2006 04:45:00 PM  

  • I am Chaplain Lewis's mother. My son just sent me a picture of my daughter-in-law standing next to the gorgeous quilt you made for her. Incredible!! To say I'm impressed would be a gross understatement. It is amazing. You are amazing. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your talent with my son and daughter-in-law. You can be assured that Tina will treat it with the utmost care. She takes such good care of her family and their home and I have no doubt that this will be a prized possession to them.

    I so appreciate your kindness. Your gift to Tina and Brad was also a gift to me.

    Many thanks,
    Dee

    Thank you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2006 01:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home