Sunshine Quilts

Friday, August 18, 2006

Hour #5

Now it's time to add the squares around the block. There are several ways to get this done.

  • You could cut individual 2" squares. Seems like too much trouble to me!
  • You could sew together 5 - 2" strips for the sides, and 7 - 2" strips for the top and bottom, then cut them into 2" segments. I have a hard time keeping seams perfect straight when I've added this many strips and all your sections of squares would be the same.

Each block requires 24 - 2" squares. If you're doing 20 blocks, you'll need 480 - 2" squares. If your fabric is 40" wide, that means you need a total of 24 - 2" strips.

Here's how I did mine:

  • Cut 24 - 2" strips from a variety of fabric.
  • Cut 4 of those strips into 2" squares. You should have 80.
  • Cut the remaining 20 - 2" strips in half so that you have 40 strips that are approximately 2" x 20" in length.
  • Randomly sew these together in groups of two.

  • Cut these segments into 2" strips. You should get 200 of these 2" segments. Since these strips were randomly sewed together, you should have some variety.
  • For the sides of the block, you need 5 - 2" squares so you would pick up 2 of the 2 block segments and add a 2" square. The square could be added in front, in between, or at the end of the segments -- if you're looking for randomness.
  • For the top and bottom of the block, you need 7 - 2" squares so you would use 3 of the 2 block segments and add a 2" square somewhere along the way.

A whole lot of words to say something you probably don't need to know but that's how I did mine.

For Hour #5, you should be able to cut your strips, get them sewn together and pressed.

18 Comments:

  • Excellent directions...thanks for doing this Judy. Have a wonderful day! Do something FUN!

    By Blogger Carol, at 8/18/2006 08:14:00 AM  

  • Dang... you mean I did it the hard way by sewing block by random block? :P

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 8/18/2006 08:14:00 AM  

  • Picked up a copy of Quilter's Home at Barnes & Noble yesterday and see that your blog is listed in the magazine. Congratulations!

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 8/18/2006 09:06:00 AM  

  • I had an ah-ha moment yesterday. I haven't started this project, but I hope to soon and bring up the rear. I've been feverishly been working on a last minute b'day quilt for my daughter's friend. It's one of those, "I can make a quilt cheaper in $$ than what I would have buying a nice gift and then by the time I glitz it up, I've spent $$$" projects. I've decided to use plaids for the 1-hr. Yes, I rediscovered a very large tote of just plaids I forgot I had. How does one forget they have this much fabric? It scares me.

    Shannon
    frecklesquilts@hotmail.com

    By Blogger Shannon, at 8/18/2006 09:56:00 AM  

  • Looks like I'm locked out of my own blog . . just testing here.

    Judy L.

    By Blogger Granny, at 8/18/2006 01:03:00 PM  

  • Oh! The magazine is out now? I was looking for it earlier this week at WalMart and they still only had the first issue.

    Looks like I'll have to get it next week!

    Hope you got back into your blog Judy. :)

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 8/18/2006 03:14:00 PM  

  • I'm going to join your challenge. I have everything just about ready to go but am going to wait for the gadget I ordered that I can put on my pressure foot and sew the diagonal on the HSTs without marking them. I'll post pictures when I have some progress--doing it pretty scrappy looking.

    By Blogger Debra Dixon, at 8/18/2006 04:07:00 PM  

  • Thanks Judy for the instructions for this hour a day quilt. I am having fun making this quilt. Will have all the 2" squares sewn together by the end of the weekend.

    By Blogger Cynthia, at 8/19/2006 07:57:00 AM  

  • Still can't sign on to the blog. I'll post an update as soon as I can.

    Judy L.

    By Blogger Granny, at 8/20/2006 10:37:00 AM  

  • Hope you get the problem worked out! I clicked on your blog a dozen times today to see what you had been up to this weekend!

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 8/20/2006 09:19:00 PM  

  • Oh, I am going to have to do this all by myself next month...when I have time.

    By Blogger Patty, at 8/21/2006 05:34:00 AM  

  • Judy, could you try from a different computer? I had some luck clearing out my cache and running some ad-aware and spy-bot programs. I'm still having trouble directly uploading pictures to my blog, but I can do it through Picasa. Hope you're up and running soon, you're missed!

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 8/21/2006 08:33:00 AM  

  • I'm having fun watching you gals all make your blocks!!

    By Blogger Judy, at 8/21/2006 09:38:00 AM  

  • Judy you mentioned having blogger issue and getting "locked out". Funny but bloglines tioday listed you as having 48 new posts!! Like you had just popped up in a new blog or something!?!

    It's weird because all week I have barely been able to sign in and it won't remember me at all!

    By Blogger Judy, at 8/21/2006 09:52:00 AM  

  • Looks like you are still locked out. =(

    By Blogger Susan , at 8/21/2006 10:38:00 PM  

  • I just found your BLOG? I love the quilting an hour a day. Will you be posting more quilts like this???? I need the motivation.

    Thanks,
    Crystal in Pahrump

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/22/2006 06:46:00 AM  

  • For anyone who wants to follow my blog, I've started a new one at http://judylaquidara.com

    Hopefully, it will be temporary and I will be able to get back into this one one day but for now, I'm at the mercy of google and they have not responded to any of my requests for help.

    There are quite a few of us bloggers who cannot get into our blogs after tring to switch to the new beta blog so for now, you can find me at http://judylaquidara.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    Judy

    By Blogger Granny, at 8/25/2006 05:20:00 AM  

  • Mistake: The new blog is at http://judylaquidara.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Granny, at 8/26/2006 05:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home