Sunshine Quilts

Monday, August 14, 2006

Hour #1

Are you ready to make a quilt, one hour at a time? Are you committed to sewing 5 hours each week? This quilt top took me 12 hours to complete. Actually, it probably took between 10 and 12 hours but I get up to put clothes in the dryer, let the dog out, check e-mail, etc. when I'm on the clock. Twelve hours doesn't sound bad for a quilt top, does it? For the Sew for an Hour project, I will try to let you know how I figure things (if I can figure out how I figure things!) so that if you're making a different size quilt, you can determine how many of each "thing" you will need. Hour #1 - The quilt shown is set with 4 blocks across and 5 blocks up and down. That means you need 20 blocks. Each block requires 4 half square triangles, so you need 80 of them. When making them, you get two per "set", so you need to start with 40 lights and 40 darks and use your preferred method just so you end up with 96 half square triangles. These need to finish at 3", so they'll be 3-1/2" unfinished. Make them any way you'd like but be sure they are the correct size. According to my calculations, I could make 50 half square triangles in one hour. So . . get busy and show us a picture of 50 half square triangles before this day is history! Judy L.

8 Comments:

  • You guys are going to zoom right past me this week. I'm going to get fabric pulled and start cutting, and play catch-up next weekend! That's five hours of sewing in one day. :) Thank you, Judy, for inspiring us - again!

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 8/14/2006 06:39:00 AM  

  • *giggle* I have 60 HSTs sitting and waiting for me to iron open. I'm having so much fun! Thank you Judy!

    Anybody wanting to peek at my progress, go here.

    Or just click my name and travel to my blog that way. :)

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 8/14/2006 07:31:00 AM  

  • I have my fabric pulled and ready to start cutting when I get home tonight. Which might be late so I doubt I'll be able to get a full hours sewing in once I get my backgrounds cut. But that's okay. I'll catch up over the next few days.

    By Blogger Nancy, at 8/14/2006 07:47:00 AM  

  • I'm heading upstairs to cut, I pulled all my fabric last night. Thanks for inspiring us. This will be such fun.

    By Blogger Carol, at 8/14/2006 04:48:00 PM  

  • I'm going to have to play catch up. I washed and almost ironed my fabric though so I am not totally out in left field :) Kiddies go back Wed. so I'll have a bit more time then :) xoxo melzie

    By Blogger Melzie, at 8/14/2006 06:26:00 PM  

  • I completed my first 52 half square triangles this evening and posted them on my blog. There are 13 stacks of 4. Pretty amazing how much I got done!

    By Blogger Carol, at 8/14/2006 07:26:00 PM  

  • This afternoon i managed to make 40 HSTs and now it's back to the sewing room to do the other 10 for todays homework:-)

    By Blogger Cynthia, at 8/15/2006 05:48:00 AM  

  • I'll have to work on hours 1 and 2 later tonight.

    Hour 1 doesn't include "prep" time does it? Like picking out the fabrics?

    I do have some 4" squares that I made in my Ebay selling days, so that will help when I do my HST's.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 8/15/2006 01:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home