Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sew for an Hour Project

This quilt will be our first project. You can make it as scrappy or as planned as you like. You can reduce or enlarge the blocks/quilt to suit your needs. You can share this with anyone you wish (it's straight out of EQ/Block Base). We all have our favorite ways to do the Half Square Triangle. I did mine, and based my times, on working with one square at a time, drawing a diagonal line, sewing on both sides, cutting on the line and pressing. I did not account for the time to square the blocks because some of you do not square your blocks, depending on your method of creating the HST's. If I tell you it takes me one hour to make 10 Half Square Triangles and it takes you 2 hours or it may take you 10 minutes, we all sew at different rates so let's not get worked up about trying to get as much done in one hour as the next person. The goal here is to sew at least one hour per day! And, we need to enjoy our time sewing . . not feel like we're racing against the clock. So, please take your time and enjoy the process. I'm not giving specific instructions. Most of us are experienced piecers and these are very basic techniques. I'm also not giving yardage requirements. We're working out of the stash. I'll designate fabrics as light/medium or dark and you can go from there. How light or how dark . . that's up to you. In the quilt shown above, I used lights and darks for the churn dash type block, then mediums for the squares around the churn dash. The quilt shown is 62-1/2" x 74-1/2". When I give instructions as to how many HST's, squares, strips, etc. that you will need, it is based on this particular size. If you're making a different size block or a different size quilt, you will need to calculate how many of each item you need. Click on the picture of the quilt and I think it will allow you to download the EQ file. You will need to have EQ installed on your computer before you can open it. Here's a web page with the particulars about the block/quilt. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open it. Sound ok to everyone? Judy L.

23 Comments:

  • Sounds good to me! This is a great way to use up some of the r/w/b FQs I have, and the scrap bags I bought ( like I don't have enough of my own?) last month. One hour a day, and in no time I'll have another AmHero top! No, I don't need any more tops of my own. Neither do my children. =)

    By Blogger Susan , at 8/13/2006 03:12:00 PM  

  • I've downloaded the EQ file and have printed your instructions. Going to pull fabrics now. :-)

    By Blogger Nancy, at 8/13/2006 03:41:00 PM  

  • Yep, both links worked. I'm not allowing myself to start any new projects until August is over but I've downloaded the file and will just play along with the group once I've fullfilled my personal challenge for this month.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 8/13/2006 04:02:00 PM  

  • Oh wonderful! I've already been playing with my 2" scraps and cut down a bunch of 2" sqaures... now I know what to do with them! (I wasn't exactly sure what the size of your squares were).

    I think I'll modify the pattern a little and make it 3x4 blocks. A good lap/baby size. :)

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 8/13/2006 04:14:00 PM  

  • Looks and sounds good to me...great way to use the stash!I promise I won't bring home anything new from the shop...I'll do it all out of what I already have here. Thanks Judy...this will be fun!

    By Blogger Carol, at 8/13/2006 04:24:00 PM  

  • Great. Looks like I get to be the first glitch.

    I cannot open the web page for the directions. I do have Adobe Reader 7.0. I have tried every way I know to get this opened up. Funny, I have never had this problem before. Maybe because I have a mac?

    Is it possible you could send me the directions? I'm really sorry for the trouble.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8/13/2006 04:42:00 PM  

  • oops sorry,

    gumpsjenny@yahoo.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8/13/2006 04:44:00 PM  

  • Looking forward to working on this quilt. Now to go down to the sewing room to see what fabrics i can use.

    By Blogger Cynthia, at 8/13/2006 04:56:00 PM  

  • Thanks, Judy! I was just thinking about this today -- will make sure I set aside an hour just for this project tomorrow and every day thereafter! Should be fun.

    By Blogger Joanne, at 8/13/2006 05:42:00 PM  

  • While I'm not making the quilt, I am so excited to see what others do... I bet I'll quilt at least 10 hours a day through the hands of others---good luck everyone...
    Melanie

    By Blogger Melanie, at 8/13/2006 05:59:00 PM  

  • I am so in! Mine is going to be SUPER scrappy and I can't wait to see how it turns out. LOL! :)

    By Blogger just jenn, at 8/13/2006 06:12:00 PM  

  • wish i had time to "play" too. Looks like you girls will have lots of fun working on this project

    By Blogger Patty, at 8/13/2006 07:12:00 PM  

  • I'm thinking florals for this...I found a stack while cleaning today that I forgot about! Thanks for the pattern, I plan to get started tomorrow...this may be a Christmas gift for a dear friend!

    Carolyn

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 8/13/2006 07:54:00 PM  

  • All the links worked fine - no problems. I will try to do mine completely scrappy. It will be fun to see what the others do.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 8/13/2006 08:08:00 PM  

  • hmm, wasn't going to do this as I way too many other things on my plate, but, what's an hour a day? :) Count me in!

    By Blogger Passionate Quilter, at 8/13/2006 08:20:00 PM  

  • Count me in too. Looking forward to doing a group project. Thanks for putting your time into this Judy.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8/13/2006 09:34:00 PM  

  • This looks like a fun project Judy :-) Your instructions are good. I am looking forward to work on this quilt.

    By Blogger Hanne, at 8/13/2006 10:48:00 PM  

  • I have a question for ya.

    Okay it says for the HST's to make the squares 4 inches and trim down to 3.5.

    Now if you sew with a 1/4 inch seam the square is going to end up 3.5 isn't it?

    So no trimming needed?

    By Blogger Andrea, at 8/13/2006 10:58:00 PM  

  • Okay I actually sat down and sewed one HST (well I guess technically two since I used a 4" square and drew the 1/4 seam lines)

    And the newly made squares do end up at 3.5 inches.

    I don't have TOO much fabric in my stash. I mean I have quite a few yards (like 25) but not many different patterns or colors. :) But I'm going to try my best!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 8/13/2006 11:54:00 PM  

  • Ooohh, lucky, lucky me! I ALREADY have a whole pile of these blocks all made up! Maybe this will get me to set them together - I like your setting idea! Actually, if I use that setting idea I probably can make 2 quilts with my blocks! Yippee!!!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 8/14/2006 04:59:00 AM  

  • Count me in. I have some blues/purples pulled for another project and there is plenty (LOL) for this also.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/14/2006 05:03:00 AM  

  • Thanks, Judy. I'm going to get out the scrap boxes today, sorted or not, and get some colors going.

    By Blogger Eileen, at 8/14/2006 05:15:00 AM  

  • ok, behind on doing this...but will jump in and play as I find time..thanks Judy

    By Blogger Cher, at 8/16/2006 06:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home