Sunshine Quilts

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Torture on Tuesday!

I tend to do the things I love to do and ignore the things that are not fun. I'm not a good housekeeper . . in fact, I'm really bad at housekeeping. Even with my quilting, I do the parts I like and the things I don't like to do sit for weeks or months (or years) without getting done. So . . what do I like to do? I love designing, pulling the fabrics and deciding on the colors, piecing (I really love to piece!) and quilting. What do I not like to do? Binding, labels and sleeves. The first thing I had to do today was find a place for all the quilts for the book. I don't want to fold them and crease them. I had about 50 quilts already on the extra bed so I took some of those off, folded them and stacked them on a bookcase (the picture). Then I took the quilts for the book that are ready to go and spread them out flat on the bed, layering them on top of each other. The book has 20 quilts. Nancy from South Carolina and her friend each made one complete quilt top - labels, binding and sleeve. Vicky made two and my friend, Becky, made one but I'm quilting, binding and doing the sleeve on those three. So, that means I pieced 15 (although I pieced all of them before the others made theirs) and I have quilted or will quilt 18, along with binding, sleeves and labels. Oh, I really do hate the sleeves and the labels but they have to be done. Today was set aside to do the things I hate to do. Might as well just spend the entire day doing it. Here's what I've done today:

  • Washed the sheets and quilts off my bed.
  • Gave Speck a bath. He's not bad during a bath but I get as wet as he does.
  • Washed the slip cover on the sofa. I hate putting that thing back on but the dog gets on the sofa so we have to have it.
  • Packed a quilt to send off to my friend for her granddaughter.
  • Washed all Speck's sheets (from the crate) and the blanket he wraps up in on the sofa.
  • Did the weed eating in the back yard - it's so small and I have so much "stuff" back there, I just weed eat the whole thing and don't even use the lawn mower in the back.
  • Sewed the sleeve and label on 13 (that's thirteen) quilts.
  • Hand sewed the binding on 2 quilts.
  • Sewed the binding on 3 quilts.
Not a single one of the things on that list was a fun thing but something that had to be done. This picture is the quilts with the labels and sleeves done but I still have to hand stitch the binding. Oh . . and Chad still isn't driving. He has to go to the traffic school before he can get his own insurance so I played taxi driver all day too.
  • Take Chad to school/come home
  • Go get Chad at school/come home
  • Take Chad to work/come home
  • Go get Chad at work/come home
I did call the driving school people this morning and it will be at least 4 more weeks before his class is scheduled. If I can work this hard tomorrow, I'll feel real good about my deadlines. Judy L.

18 Comments:

  • Judy,
    Glad your quilts for the book turned out ok. Good luck with the project.
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 8/15/2006 10:12:00 PM  

  • I hate housekeeping too - absolutely miserable at it. Luckily my husband doesn't mind a certain amount of disorder.

    I'd love to have an assistant with me while I quilt. Someone to cut straight lines with the rotary cutter (I'm terrible at it) and do all the ironing. And I love making blocks, but once you get to the big straight seams I'm bored with that too...

    By Blogger Tonya Ricucci, at 8/15/2006 10:29:00 PM  

  • You were a productive gal today! YIPPEE!!!

    By Blogger just jenn, at 8/15/2006 10:55:00 PM  

  • Wow at the number of quilts!

    What's the book going to be about? Obviously quilts but what about them exactly? :)

    By Blogger Andrea, at 8/16/2006 01:01:00 AM  

  • Hey, you have been BUSY! Poor Chad. I think he's learning lots of lesssons---like what a great Mom is has. I think maybe the traffic violation punished the whole family. Well, when he has teenagers one day, he going to remember this......
    Melanie

    By Blogger Melanie, at 8/16/2006 03:10:00 AM  

  • Judy you are making me tired just reading about your day :) Isn't it just amazing the things we can get done when our feet are to the fire. It's that deadline thing and it sure motivates me. I hate housework also...seems like such a waste of time...could be sewing! Have a great day.

    By Blogger Carol, at 8/16/2006 05:01:00 AM  

  • What a busy day! Hope the book works out well. You will let us know what it's called and where we can buy it once it's done right?

    I hate housework too, but I'm lucky my husband does his share.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/16/2006 05:06:00 AM  

  • Judy, good for you. I do the same thing--put things off so long until I HAVE to do them. And then when I do, it's almost always never near as bad as I thought. I think the thought of doing those things is the worst part! Too bad I don't live closer--I'd come do your bindings and labels! I love doing those and I'm a self-appointed Quilt Label Deputy! I am always on people to get labels on quilts! So, I'm proud of you!

    By Blogger Passionate Quilter, at 8/16/2006 05:27:00 AM  

  • All that housework! And quilt binding! you had a productive if not fun day. Maybe it's time for a totally fun day, doing only things you love.

    By Blogger Joyce, at 8/16/2006 05:40:00 AM  

  • way to stay at it... you have so much to show for a single day...

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 8/16/2006 05:41:00 AM  

  • I'm plumb worn out here just reading about your day! Do you ever sleep?

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 8/16/2006 06:10:00 AM  

  • good to buckle down and get those tedious jobs done- and I am sure Speck thanks you for clean laundry and you enjoy the clean doggy smell too.

    By Blogger Cher, at 8/16/2006 06:32:00 AM  

  • Yuck! I can relate to the label thing. But I'd be glad to handsew some bindings on for ya, I don't mind so much. :)

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 8/16/2006 06:32:00 AM  

  • As much as you hate doing it, isn't it a great feeling that it no longer is ahead of you, but behind you, and will be a while before you have to do it again?? I hate housework too, it seems so pointless - even without the kids at home, it needs done again in no time just from dust and dog shedding. Much rather be in the quilting room.

    By Blogger Gail, at 8/16/2006 07:34:00 AM  

  • Wow you have been busy! Made me tired just reading about it. You've done great getting so much done. I hate housekeeping too. I try to do a little bit each day because there is no way I could motivate myself to do a whole day of stuff I didn't like. I take lots of fun breaks too in the middle. Tell us more about your book. It sounds really exciting.

    By Blogger Shelina, at 8/16/2006 12:17:00 PM  

  • You may hate doing some of those things, but don't you just love crossing them off your list?

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 8/16/2006 12:24:00 PM  

  • Judy
    I know what you mean about housekeeping, I hate it too. But, my SO is so good at cleaning up after me I think I'll keep him!! I love piecing and I love putting the binding on, I hate quilting. I now have about 15 tops that need quilting and I just started another one.
    June
    (junepiperbrandon@verizon.net)

    By Blogger bmorerealtor, at 8/16/2006 02:22:00 PM  

  • Judy,

    Are you writing a book???

    When is it coming out?

    Janetta in kingwood texas
    texanntx (at) aol (dot) com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/21/2006 08:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home