Sunshine Quilts

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Recipe - Crockpot Beef Stroganoff

It seems I go in spurts - sometimes I love my crockpot and sometimes I don't use it for months. Here's a recipe I made for lunch tomorrow and it smells so good. I did have a little taste and this is a recipe worth sharing. I buy chuck roasts when they're on sale and I chop them up to make stew meat. That way I can cut away the fat I don't want and I feel like I'm getting better stew meat. Crockpot Beef Stroganoff 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat (I used a cut up chuck roast) 1 T. oil 2 cups sliced mushrooms 1 medium onion, sliced 2 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 tsp. oregano 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. thyme 1/4 tsp. black pepper 1 bay leaf 1 can beef broth 1/3 c. dry sherry 1 - 8 oz. carton sour cream 1/3 c. all purpose flour 1/4 c. cold water fresh parsley 1. Brown the stew meat in the oil. Drain on paper towels. 2. Combine mushrooms, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf in crock pot. Add stew meat. Pour broth and sherry over all. 3. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 - 10 hours. 4. Remove bay leaf. Turn to high heat. In a medium bowl, whisk sour cream, flour and water til smooth. Stir about 1 cup of the hot liquid into the sour cream mixture. Return all to the slow cooker. Stir. Cover and cook an dditional 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. 5. Serve over cooked noodles.

10 Comments:

  • Oh Judy - that does sound so good - our local Asda (UK part of Walmart) does shrinkwrapped budget joints of beef which are actually very lean if you can get over the look of them sitting in blood in the plastic wrapping - I always use them for a beef casserole in bulk and then freeze it - this sounds like a good recipe to use them for. Can you freeze it?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/15/2006 03:26:00 AM  

  • Now this is something I'm definitely going to try this weekend. Never used a crockpot until a year ago. Greatest invention in the world, besides the rotary cutter!

    I smile every time I see your new picture!

    ((HUGS))
    Vicky

    By Blogger Vicky, at 6/15/2006 06:05:00 AM  

  • This sounds delicious and something my beef eaters would love! Definitely going to try it.

    By Blogger Saska, at 6/15/2006 06:16:00 AM  

  • Sounds delish. I too love my crockpot. I got a huge one and freeze a lot of what I make. Saves time on a busy quilting day. Would you freeze before or after adding the sour cream?

    By Blogger Joyce, at 6/15/2006 06:39:00 AM  

  • Thanks for the recipe...my guild does lots of pot luck/covered dish events and I'm always looking for something new...
    Siobhan

    By Blogger YankeeQuilter, at 6/15/2006 10:31:00 AM  

  • Thank you so much Judy for sharing your recipes. I made the Jailhouse Rolls the other day, and they were such a hit with the family. I had to call a friend in the US to find out what Oleo is, and how much 2 sticks would be - we don't have it here in Australia.
    Thank you once again
    Tazzie
    :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/15/2006 05:18:00 PM  

  • That sounds wonderful. I should put that on the menu for next week.

    I have been meaning to comment, but I haven't had much time. I wanted to tell you I loved your post on cooking for your family. Have you seen the show on Food Network where the lady gives you ideas on how to use leftovers? I can't think of the name, but she is on late afternoon here. I have got quite a few good ideas from her.

    I am in the process of placing all of my favorite meal ideas, with the recipes, in a binder. This way, when making my menu, I can flip through to get ideas. I am also including leftover suggestions at the bottom of the recipes.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/15/2006 09:41:00 PM  

  • mmmmm - I"m going to make this one! Thank you so much! We butcher so I have a ton of stew meat already sitting in the freezer!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 6/17/2006 05:20:00 PM  

  • oh that sounds wonderful.

    By Blogger Patty, at 6/18/2006 08:06:00 PM  

  • OMG, we made this yesterday. It is just about the BEST thing to come home after work and have all the work done...and the house smelling divine.

    We used no-fat sour cream and 2.25# of beef and still could stay within our diet parameters.

    I say WOO-HOO!

    Thanks for the recipe, and keep 'em coming! (please)

    By Blogger QuiltingFitzy, at 6/22/2006 06:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home