Sunshine Quilts

Friday, June 23, 2006

Friday!!

I had hoped to get more blocks done today but I did get 6 more made so I now have 12. If I get 6 more done tomorrow, I'll have all 18 of these blocks done. There's actually two blocks done in each color although they look very similar in the picture. I'll add some more variety of pink and orange tomorrow and then re-arrange them and there's always the alternating block between the so they won't look so blendy .. I hope. I always pay attention to the comments you all leave and I think a lot about what you all say. Evelyn, a couple of days a week, when I feel really sleepy, I will take a 30 minute nap in the afternoons. I set the alarm (cell phone) or I'd sleep all afternoon. In fact, today I hit the snooze button twice! Laurie, Laurie, Laurie . . How can you lose your quilting motivation? Come see me, I have enough to share with you. I never get tired of quilting. Laurie Ann, I play games and little challenges with myself. I feel like if I get up early, I've beat the day but if I sleep late, the day has beat me. I love getting up early. I always feel like I'm racing to get things done in the mornings. The whole day is a head of me and I don't want to waste a minute. By evening, I'm trying to finish the things I had planned to do and didn't get done and I hate going to bed before I finish the things I planned to do. To those of you who posted about color, I really thought about that today too. I probably have the worst taste in color of all quilters! I really don't stress about the colors but I don't stress about a whole lot of anything. I think I enjoy the process of choosing the fabric, the design, cutting the fabric, sewing the fabric way more than actually having a finished quilt. So, I guess the real pleasure for me is the actual "doing" and once the quilt is finished, well, for the most part -- it's just another quilt and the fun part is over for me. I made bread this morning. I'm always trying new recipes but this is the one I love best. It's kind of a packy, heavy bread (not terribly light and fluffy) and it is a tad sweet. It reminds me of the bread the cafeteria ladies made when I was in elementary school. Here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it: Old Fashioned White Bread 2-1/2 cups milk, scalded 3 T. shortening 1 T. salt 4 T. sugar 1 package dry yeast 1/4 c. warm water 7 cups all purpose flour, divided Melted butter or margarine Combine scalded milk, sugar, salt and shortening. Stir until shortening melts. Cool to 105 - 115 degrees. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in milk mixture and four cups flour. Beat two minutes at medium speed of electric mixer or until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 45 minutes. Punch dough down, gradually stir in approximately two cups of flour. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in remaining one cup flour. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place dough in a well greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts for about 20 minutes. Knead dough in bowl two minutes. Turn dough over and let rise 20 minutes. Repeat kneading and rising procedure. Punch dough down, turn onto a lightly floured surface. Let dough rest 10 minutes. Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a loaf. Place in two greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans. Cover and let rise, free from drafts, for approximately 45 minutes. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove loaves from pans. Brush with melted butter and cool on wire racks. Last but not least . . Chad and I got a hankering for lobster for dinner so we ran to Wal-Mart (the only place around here to get live lobster). We cooked everything on the side burner in the grill so that's why it's all sitting on the grill. Yummmmm . . .

10 Comments:

  • Did you remember to try your bread in the convection oven? Looks yummy!

    I like that quilt, I love anything with stars of any kind, and I love quilts with simplicity of color... this is something I'm learning as I go. The quilt I just finished had way too many fabrics for my taste, the one you've pictured here is just right!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/24/2006 07:30:00 AM  

  • Morning Judy, your post is awesome, as always!! It's such fun to see what you have gotten done, and it's ALOT!!

    Love the looks of your bread..think I'll have to copy that recipe and give it a try. I really dislike light, fluffy bread. Keep doing what your doing!!! *VBS*

    By Blogger Finn, at 6/24/2006 08:00:00 AM  

  • Judy, I have been in awe of your work and output for some time. You really do beautiful work. I use the timer method for catnaps too. I started that when I went through the change and by 2 in the afternoon, I couldn't keep my eyes open any more. Mornings are too wonderful to miss. Thanks for the recipe!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/24/2006 08:56:00 AM  

  • Judy, yer killing me here! What time is dinner? Oh, wait, was it last night? Darn!

    I used to bake bread a lot but haven't one single time in 12 years since I moved to SoCal, except for an occasional mix in the bread maker. I need to put aside a weekend and try it again.
    Just thinking about that elementary school bread makes my mouth water!

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 6/24/2006 09:16:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    I'll be fine...it'll come back to me! Just not in a very quilty mood I think. I think stopping doing business with the longarm was a mistake as far as motivation goes...nothing that HAS to be done if you know what I mean!

    Love the blocks!!! Dinner looked great as well!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6/24/2006 02:29:00 PM  

  • Walmart has live lobster? Guess they forgot to unload it at ours!
    Going to try the bread recipe. We eat LOTs of everything around here.

    Quilt looks good.

    By Blogger Saska, at 6/24/2006 02:44:00 PM  

  • Your bread looks so yummy. Nothing beats the smell of bread baking. Makes home seem 100% more homey.
    We are nearly out of bread. Monday is my bread making day. think I will try your recipe

    By Blogger Patty, at 6/24/2006 07:46:00 PM  

  • Thanks so much for sharing your bread recipe! We love homemade bread and I try to make it as often as I can. :) The blocks look wonderful...can't wait to see the finished product!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 6/24/2006 10:45:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    What's the other block that you put into eq to go with these? They look great, I have a rubbermaid tote full of hand dyed fabric that this would be perfect for.
    Does your bread recipe work in the bread machine? I can't bake bread any other way!!
    June

    By Blogger bmorerealtor, at 6/25/2006 08:43:00 AM  

  • The bread looks good enough to smell right thru the screen.

    Your latest quilts are wonderful! Love the design of the new batik one. I love batiks so much.

    I have to confess that I DID buy those new pins, but I don't plan to use them to help remember the seam placement!! I fiqured they would help if I needed help remembering how to place some hard to set blocks...like which side is faces right or left!

    Great work!

    By Blogger Judy, at 6/25/2006 09:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home