Sunshine Quilts

Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Play Day

First . . I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings about my post on kits. I really am not opposed to kits and probably wouldn't have a clue if something was made from a kit or not, unless it's one of the ones that you see everywhere! I'd probably not buy a kit because I never get things right the first time and I'd be up a creek if I messed up and ran out of fabric. My point from yesterday is probably that I have so much fun playing with EQ and then digging through the stash, that in my opinion, those who only make quilts exactly like those they see in books/magazines are missing half the fun but . . that's the part I think is fun. Thankfully, not everyone is like me! :) OK . . enough of that. Make any quilts you want to make . . just have fun! I have been so busy making quilts but for the most part, the fabric choices were not necessarily ME. It was about this time last year that I signed the contract for the book and just off the top of my head, these are the quilts I've made in the past 12 months:

  • 22 quilts for the book - I like all the colors I used but I was trying so hard to get a nice variety, and most of my favorite colors aren't really what would appeal to anyone else. Ten of these are quilted, twelve remain to be quilted.
  • 4 quilts for two patterns - These are always done in colors that will hopefully attract buyers, again not necessarily what I would choose.
  • Two heart quilts for the American Quilter magazine - I was able to choose the colors.
  • Two quilts - one of which is scheduled to be in the American Quilter project issue. The second one was to test the pattern before I cut the fabric that was to be used for the magazine quilt.
  • Two quilts for the November Evansville tornado victims.
  • A baby quilt for a lady who had a personal crisis during Hurricane Rita. I also sent her a quilt but it was one I already had made.
  • The quilt for my uncle - I had it started and it matched the backing fabric I wanted to use.
  • One for the Mission of Hope Project.
  • One for the Quilt of Valor mystery.
That's 36 quilts and only a couple of them were quilts that allowed me to get in the stash and play! Chad was off today and he went fishing again, Vince is in Louisville at a woodturning convention so I figured if everyone else was going to play, so was I. After spending some quality time with the stash, I decided to do something with batiks, then I narrowed it down to using pinks, oranges, purple and lime green. Those are my favorite colors and I figured what would be better than combining them all together. This was a block that is in one of the quilts in the book and I've totally changed the directions for making it so I wanted to be sure I had it right so I made this block. Still not exactly sure what other blocks will go with it but I want it to be a two block quilt. The plan now is to make 18 of these blocks, all in shades of oranges and pinks. The center is purple. I have a couple of ideas about the alternating block but I need to get all these made first so I don't confuse myself. Definitely a fun day for me! Judy

6 Comments:

  • 36 Quilts!!! I'm so jealous! I dream of the year where I need more than one hand to count my finished quilts! Congratulations!

    By Blogger kim, at 6/22/2006 09:43:00 PM  

  • Is Vince a woodturner? I LOVE woodturned bowls (the arty/not necessarily practical kind.) I even brought 2 back from Australia.

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 6/23/2006 05:01:00 AM  

  • That's going to be a dynamite quilt! Judy, you absolutely are the prolific quilter I know. My HERO!

    On kits - I used to buy a lot of them when I first started. I learned a lot from them. It was a real accomplishment just to get them to look like they were supposed to look. :) I've moved beyond those now and really do enjoy using my stash now. And that's a VERY good thing ~ hehe!

    You just keep those patterns and ideas coming. I may be able to do the choosing of fabrics, but there's no way I'd be able to design the patterns! I'll be your best customer! LOL

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 6/23/2006 06:14:00 AM  

  • That does sound like a fun day! I love the blocks, they are very cheerful. I'm amazed that you have made 36 quilts in the last year...do you get to keep any of them? :o)

    Carolyn

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 6/23/2006 06:36:00 AM  

  • 36 quilts! Do you have a longarm machine? That would help but still the number astonishes me.

    By Blogger Joyce, at 6/23/2006 07:47:00 AM  

  • I think I am doing good to get 1 or 2 projects done a month. That includes any kind of sewing project from audlt bibs to quilts. A bed sized quilt will take several months so I work on other projects at the same time. Wow I just cann't think of 36 full quilts done in a year.

    By Blogger Rae, at 6/23/2006 10:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home