Sunshine Quilts

Monday, June 19, 2006

Monday, Monday!

What do you think about this quilt? I started this probably 7 or 8 years ago and ran out of the yellow. I had a plan but I've now forgotten what the plan was. I like it and I want to finish it but really have no idea what to do next. I think I want it not to be square but I don't know. As it is now, it's 50" x 50". Suggestions are welcome. I doubt I have any of the fabrics left but since they're all kinda tone on tone, I think I can come up with fabrics that will work. This will probably be one of the first quilts I work on when I finish my other commitments. So . . tell me what you think I should do with this. Chad has a friend who has joined the Army and is leaving 6/28 for Ft. Benning, GA. Chad was off today so they planned a fishing trip. They left here at 6:30 this morning. It's amazing that getting up early for a fishing trip is perfect acceptable but getting up early for work or to travel on a family trip just ruins his whole day! Chad had told me they would be home around 1 p.m. but then he called and said they were catching tons of fish and would be staying til about 4. Then he called to say they were staying til dark. They got home about 8:30 and I know they were both so tired! Chad loves to fish like I love to sew and I was happy he and Matt were able to spend some time together before he leaves. I quilted the quilt with the purple/ecru nine patches using the "Fancy This" panto by Jodi Beamish. That is one of the new pantos I just received and I love it! Jodi has the best pantos! Sewed the binding on another quilt so I had a pretty productive day. Tonight was our Monday night quilt group. I worked on binding . . which is what I seem to work on every time we meet. We had been meeting at Kentucky Wesleyan College but we've recently changed to Settle Memorial Methodist Church. The churh has a quilting room set up. They have a big cutting table, all the mats, rulers, two Janome machines, a big board type ironing board and even a hand quilting frame set up. What a place! Judy L.

24 Comments:

  • I love it just the way it is. It would make a lovely wall hanging or great lap quilt. Those bright colors would certainly chase away the cold on a winter's day.

    By Blogger Shellie, at 6/19/2006 10:01:00 PM  

  • I agree - it's a really cheery lap quilt. That sounds like my kind of church! Can't imagine it in the UK - there aren't enough of us quiters in concentration to warrant anything like that sadly

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/20/2006 12:05:00 AM  

  • Judy, I can SO see that quilt with an appliqued flower border around it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/20/2006 03:40:00 AM  

  • Judy, It is great just that way, but if you want it 'not square, I'm sure you will come up with something. I love how bright it is-it grabes my eye immediately.

    By Blogger Gail, at 6/20/2006 04:23:00 AM  

  • A. I like it the way it is.

    B. a rainbow fabric (Maybe that stuff you got in Paducah) for the border.... You can do something like 10 inches on the top and bottom & 5 on the sides to get it to be a regtangle....

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 6/20/2006 06:42:00 AM  

  • I love this quilt, too - I always remember that when you don't have more of the same fabric - it's just another design opportunity LOL!

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 6/20/2006 09:17:00 AM  

  • Rainbow Sherbert! How pretty - just the way it is! Can't wait to see how you do decide to finish it up.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 6/20/2006 09:19:00 AM  

  • I don't have any suggestions but I can't wait to see what you end up doing with it.

    The church sounds like a great setup for a quilt group meeting.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 6/20/2006 09:55:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    What about a dark, 2" or so border all the way around, then do a multi/rainbow piano key border across the top/bottom? I also like CJ's idea of applique...but I KNOW you shuddered! LOL It's gorgeous! I LOVE IT!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6/20/2006 12:11:00 PM  

  • I was imagining little domino size blocks running around that quilt. You know I have no idea what you call anything in quilting but little blocks all sewn in a row with the same kinds of colors used in the body of the quilt.
    Do you clean all those fish that Chad caught ?????

    By Blogger Patty, at 6/20/2006 12:22:00 PM  

  • This probably isn't going to help - but I'd leave it just the way it is. It's such a bright happy quilt, and would look wonderful hanging on a wall somewhere. Like a modern art painting but better because it is a quilt!

    By Blogger Patti, at 6/20/2006 01:00:00 PM  

  • I was just saying to Pete this morning, "why do I feel wide awake at 6 a.m. on the weekend and like I can't open my eyes at 6 a.m. during the week?" Hmm.... Chad, I understand! :)

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 6/20/2006 01:28:00 PM  

  • I love the quilt just the way it is. I is so uplifting & awakening. Like Spring sunrise shotting into the room.

    As for the quilting room in the church. How do I get my church to set up one. It sounds soooooooooo GREAT.

    Rae

    By Blogger Rae, at 6/20/2006 03:47:00 PM  

  • It is a "Square Dance" quilt, is it not? Martha Thompson. Not sure what to suggest for finishing--so much color and busy-ness at center--multicolored binding though but on the bias would be pretty.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 6/20/2006 05:03:00 PM  

  • Like most everyone else, I would leave it as is - no borders. However, if you are very ambitious, miniature pinwheels would make a striking border. Still, my vote is to leave it just like it is - very sunny and cheerful.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 6/20/2006 06:48:00 PM  

  • I vote for leave it as is...it's so bright and beautiful. And your guild meeting place at that church is the best! How lucky you are.

    By Blogger Passionate Quilter, at 6/20/2006 07:47:00 PM  

  • I love your quilt...it is bright and happy and wonderful...depending on what you are going to do with it, I would just leave it square...it is already a nice size.

    By Blogger Pam, at 6/20/2006 09:29:00 PM  

  • I like your quilt. It needs a funky binding, but otherwise, it's good.

    Hugs,
    Melinda

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/21/2006 06:33:00 AM  

  • Love this quilt!! I like the square shape on a wall but it isn't very useful on a bed that way! I like Bonnie's idea of doing pinwheels across the top and bottom. You could also just do stripes of solid colors across top and bottom to frame it up.

    Nice job!

    Siobhan

    By Blogger YankeeQuilter, at 6/21/2006 08:03:00 AM  

  • Judy, I like it! I like it the way it is, I also see it with a floral border or even prarie points.

    By Blogger Anne, at 6/21/2006 11:34:00 AM  

  • I love it just the way it is, too! Very cheerful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/21/2006 12:28:00 PM  

  • I'd be tempted to put a wide white border on it, then use the same size triangles to make more blocks for an outermost border.

    Put it in EQ and play with echoing the center. Maybe a sawtooth, or little inverted mountains pointing in or... hmm. How big did you want to make it?

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 6/21/2006 11:40:00 PM  

  • What a beautiful quilt! I love it just as it is, it looks terrific!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/22/2006 08:21:00 AM  

  • I love the quilt! Beautiful colors...how about some kind of cool geometric border since the quilt has that feel?

    And I loved the post about your dad...I miss mine so much.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/22/2006 02:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home