Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Tomorrow . . I'll be sorry!

It's almost 2 a.m. and I have to get up by 6:30. But, I am so excited to get to start quilting this top tomorrow, I just couldn't stop. I had planned to quilt all weekend and haven't touched the longarm but there's a good reason . . actually several good reasons. The first top I planned to quilt was the one I didn't have thread to match. Ordered the thread and it didn't come in but since I ordered it Thursday, I didn't really expect to get it Friday but a girl can hope, right? The second top I planned to quilt wasn't finished and for some crazy reason, I thought I could finish it Thursday night. Didn't happen! Just now finished it and I have pieced all weekend! I had to make 42 (I think) 4" log cabin blocks. The "logs" finish out at 1/2". That is WAY too small for my liking. Then I had to make 64 of these little 4" off centered rail type blocks for the outer border. I paper pieced them so I could get the angle right (so the seams would match). What a pain! Now, it's all marked and ready to begin quilting in the morning. I can't wait!! It is bright but it isn't as bright as it looks in this picture. It's all batiks except for this awful black that I used. I can't remember the last time I worked with a cotton that wanted to ravel as badly as this black fabric did. I am glad to have this fabric out of my stash. From now on, I'm sticking with Michael Miller black. All this quilting is really hard work on Speck! He's out cold on the sofa! Poor puppy . . he likes having a regular schedule and I've blown it this weekend. Judy

10 Comments:

  • Poor little Speck - the sweetie needs all the sleep he can get. I swear by the Michael Miller Jet Black too - best black fabric I've found, and I use a lot of black.

    by the way, boiled peanuts? bleck. guess it would help if I'd grown up with them... I'll stick to peanut butter cups, thanks.

    By Blogger Tonya Ricucci, at 5/08/2006 04:52:00 AM  

  • Hey, boiled peanuts are not all the bad and I'm from the North. Waaaaaaaay too salty the ones I have had but the peanuts themselves are okay. DJ doesn't like them but he doesn't have peanut butter for breakfast almost every morning like me either.

    I cannot wait to see what has been keeping you up so late at night, Judy. 4 inch blocks, you brave soul!! You are wearing out the poor pupper with those late hours, LOL.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 5/08/2006 05:18:00 AM  

  • All nighters are not as easy when we age. I did one a couple weeks ago and paid for it the next day and the next one for that matter also. Your white marking looks good. What do you use. I have tried the pencils, they seem to be broken on the inside and constantly break, the white pens don't seem to want to co-operate either, I am still looking for that magic bullet. Any ideas.

    By Blogger dot, at 5/08/2006 05:51:00 AM  

  • Wow, Judy -- that sounds like LOTSA little pieces!!!
    Can't wait to see :)
    I LOVE the picture of snoozy Speck!
    Jeanne :)

    By Blogger  Jeanne, at 5/08/2006 08:00:00 AM  

  • Hope you and Speck got some rest and relaxing in over the weekend.

    By Blogger Peggy, at 5/08/2006 08:07:00 AM  

  • Judy, got your emails today when I got to work. Hopefully at lunch I'll be able to actually read them and reply. Cross your fingers that the new computer gets in this week for home.

    The quilt is fabulous! I work right through sometimes, too. I'm scared if I sleep, I'll lose momentum! LOL

    Speck is adorable! Why is it they're so doggone cute when they're sleeping?

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 5/08/2006 09:52:00 AM  

  • Speck is sure a sweetie, hanging in there with you for the 4" blocks! Whew!!
    The quilting is going to be pretty cool on that black. What color of thread will you use?

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 5/08/2006 10:09:00 AM  

  • What a cutie pic of Spec! Every black I've ever used picks up hair and lint like nobody's business! Love the quilt you and Chad made. What a nice story, thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 5/08/2006 10:09:00 AM  

  • like everyone else, I will be looking forward to seeing this quilt, quilted! It is amazing how long some quilts will actually take-I have pulled all nighters too.

    By Blogger Cher, at 5/08/2006 01:56:00 PM  

  • I amlooking forward to seeing the quilting! Hope you got some rest!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2006 03:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home