Sunshine Quilts

Friday, March 10, 2006

Setting Goals

Having written goals and holding myself accountable is the only way I can stay on track. Quilting is more than just a hobby for me. I have commitments to do quilts for others, as well as a major quilting deadline approaching. A few months ago I started posting my monthly goals on my sidebar. I am a procrastinator! Maybe not so much of a procrastinator as I lose interest in projects and am always wanting to start something new. At the beginning of the month, I'd have 25 or 30 days left to work on those goals so I'd work on something else . . I had plenty of time to get the goals done. Not so! I'd end up scrambling towards the end of the month to get the goals done. Last month I started doing weekly goals. That seems to be working better for me right now. I suppose I'm a bit fickle so who knows what will work best next week. Even though some of the weekly goals look pretty intimidating, they're all do-able. Next week will be a bit tight but I work best under pressure! :) As I read through the blogs of other quilts, there are some tremendously productive quilters out there. But, if you aren't happy with what you're accomplishing, set some goals and write them down. Be accountable to yourself! Please don't let my goals influence how you feel about what you're accomplishing. Remember, I have no outside job, my only child is now 18, my husband lives at a different house so I never have dinner to cook (nor do I do his laundry!). So, what else do I have to do? Just quilt!! :) Judy L.

10 Comments:

  • Weekly goals are very commendable! I have been doing much better on my ufo-busting since I started making myself more accountable, to myself!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/10/2006 08:07:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    I was beginning to think you had dropped off the face of the earth! Either that or you longarm went nuts and stitched you into a quilt and you were frantically yelling for HELP! LOL

    You are one busy lady! Glad you checked in!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 3/10/2006 08:42:00 AM  

  • I try to right my weekly goals on a post it note each week and hang in my sewing room. It has helped considerably, but I still have a long way to go in using my time more productively.

    By Blogger Laura, at 3/10/2006 10:04:00 AM  

  • I go back and forth. Sometimes my lists help me and some weeks they make me feel overwhelmed and hemmed in! Did I tell you I got brave and sent another quilt to the longarmers? I still feel kinda guilty about it, but I am getting over it! :)

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 3/10/2006 10:27:00 AM  

  • Judy, I'm a goal-oriented person - worked too many years being paid by the page not to be! I've gotten away from that for the past year and I've not been very productive. Thanks for the nudge on this!

    By Blogger Vicky, at 3/10/2006 12:02:00 PM  

  • Judy, when you are self-employed - sometimes it is hard to stay on track. Great discovery for you to find that weekly goals work better for you than monthly goals - easier to break big tasks down into little segments. At least this way - you get to check more things off your list! (I love checking things off my list).

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 3/10/2006 12:24:00 PM  

  • Weekly goals, now that sounds like something up my alley.... I get into your frame of mind - It's the beginging of the month, I still have time... Next thing I know, it is the begining of the next month!

    Thanks for the idea - now to right down my goals... (& to make them concrete and doable!)

    BTW If you ever feel like nothing is worth posting, I'd like to maybe see how you are qulting on someone elses quilt - rather than just reading about the feathers...

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 3/10/2006 12:41:00 PM  

  • good for you Judy to find a way of getting yourself to reach those goals..funny how we can delay working on things until that deadline hits us over the head! My goal has been to do what I can to be not scrambling or stressed out over meeting deadlines.

    By Blogger Cher, at 3/10/2006 05:43:00 PM  

  • I am a procrastinator too! It is the nature of quilters? Because some of my quilting buddies are the same way. I think because I am aware that I am, I avoid putting things off. Did that make sense? I make a weekly list of "to do" items and I also make a weekly menu.

    If I didn't do this, my life would be chaos!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/10/2006 09:32:00 PM  

  • I try to set goals too - it helps keep me focused. Keith doesn't live at another house but he does travel which gives me extra time to work on my quilting. Of course, the travel I do with him slows things down so I guess it evens out in the end.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 3/11/2006 05:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home