Sunshine Quilts

Saturday, February 25, 2006

End of Week Ramblings

This week has been kinda busy and just went by way too quickly. I've sat down and started a blog entry no less than five times and then thought . . this is so boring, no one wants to read about my life. It isn't boring to me and every day I realize how lucky I am to be me but goodness, my life would be boring to others. Here's how my week has been. I'm not complaining about anything . . just explaining; maybe venting is a better word. Vince would say complaining, I say venting . . more of that Mars/Venus stuff.

  • I've been teaching quilting for our county community ed for quite a few years and I love teaching. They let me teach at whichever school in the county I prefer, they let me set my classes, times, dates . . they give me total charge of the quilting. They pay quite good also and I've met several friends, one of whom is my best friend and partner in crime here, Becky. Anyway, the girl who runs the community ed . . well, I'm not going to say she doesn't do her job but dang, it is a mess. I had told her towards the end of the spring semester in 05 that I would not teach any longer. She begged and promised to do better so I told her I would continue. Then it was worse than ever so I said NO, I am not teaching again. It got time for the spring schedule to come out and she sent me a long e-mail promising to do better. OK, I need lessons from Vicky in saying NO, but I did send her a long e-mail explaining exactly what I expected from her. To make a long story short, things were worse than ever so I sent her a long e-mail and asked her to cancel the remainder of my classes. I feel it makes me look bad as a teacher to show up for classes and have not a clue how many students are going to be there, those trying to take the classes can't get any information . . it's just a mess. It really hurts my heart to do things like that but it was past time for me to sever that relationship and I feel relieved to have done it.
  • Quilting for Customers - I had planned to do no customer quilting in 06 except for quilting for a few customers who have been with me since I started and I really don't want to lose. I have probably done more quilting in the first two months of 06 than in the first two months any year prior. As I was closing out my books for February, I told Vince how many quilts I had done in February and he was surprised. I told him that's why I'm going nuts. His most considerate response was "short trip!".
  • Then, today I started getting e-mails from Virgina from people wanting me to do quilting. Once upon a time when I first started out, a girl named June from the Baltimore area had me do some quilting and one of the first quilts I did for her won a state award. I began to get a whole lot of business from Baltimore and I still have many customers in that area. But I was trying to think of why I was getting e-mails from Virginia and couldn't come up with anything. When I received a third contact within about two hours, I wrote back and said "where did you find me?" The response was and I should have remembered . . the local quilt shop is vending at a show in VA this weekend and she must be passing out my cards. I've done most of her samples and sure enough, I called her on her cell phone. Where are you? Virginia! BINGO! It's nice to have people calling wanting quilting done but . . who is going to finish this darned book??
  • Quilts for the Book - I didn't meet my February goals. Oh, yes, I have two more days. There's hope! But, I have one large quilt to finish (it's barely started) and one small quilt to start and finish in order to stay on track. Not gonna happen. Who ever came up with February having only 28 days should be shot. Why can't we have just one month with 40 days . . or even 50 days? I could get my monthly goals done maybe if I had more days

There are many good things happening though. Let's see . .

  • Only 26 days til I get to go home (Louisiana) but who's counting? Heck, it was 26 days this morning so it's closer to 25 days now! :) Funny how I never thought Louisiana was so great til I left. I think I'm a momma & daddy's girl and I don't like living so far away. Maybe it's not Louisiana I miss but just mom, dad and the crawfish! As it gets closer to time to go home, I can hardly wait. Today as I was quilting, I was thinking of things I need to pack and I thought about stopping and getting out my bags and then I thought . . no, there's no reason to start packing 26 days before I'm leaving!
  • Memoirs of a Geisha - I got this book on tape and listened to it on the Ipod while quilting this week. I got the unabridged version and I think it has 17 or 18 hours and I listened to it all in 2 days. I thought it was a great book. I have almost all the Left Behind series books but have never read them so I downloaded the first one and I'll listen to it next.
  • Computers - I was in Books-a-Million Friday and an older lady came up to me and asked if I knew anything about computers. I laughed and told her I knew she didn't want any advice from me. She had a little scrap of paper on which she had scribbled "Compaq" and some numbers. She wanted one of the "Dummy" books for that particular computer and the Books-a-Million people had not found one for her but she was so sure they must have one. I explained to her that they probably don't have the "Dummy" books for every single make and model but what she needs is just a general book. I asked her what she wants to learn to do and she said "Honey, I don't even know how to turn it on!" For a fleeting moment, I almost handed her one of my business cards and said "call me if you need help" and then I came to my senses. I did find a book for Windows XP . . getting started and recommended that for her. I also suggested she check into a computer class at the community college or maybe community education.
  • And last but not least, we have beautiful sunsets in my little part of the world. From home, they're really pretty. Well, I suppose they're no less pretty here except there are roofs and roofs and more roofs in the way. At home, there are wide, open spaces and nothing to obstruct the view. Tonight as Chad and I were watching the sunset, I snapped a picture. Pretend we're not seeing 2 or 3 roofs . .

Judy

14 Comments:

  • Never let yourself think that your blog and life is boring. I love to read everyone's blog and it's comforting to know that we all deal with the same kinds of things no matter where we live. Having everyday events can be reassuring and not boring. Keep posting even when you don't think you have much to say as I'm sure more than just I will be happy to read about what you've been doing.
    Hugs

    By Blogger Jan Mac, at 2/26/2006 12:23:00 AM  

  • your blog boring? not at all. It sounds like the lives of a lot of us, and makes us feel better that others go through those same things.
    It's funny you wrote about your teaching experience. I have the same problem with one of my places I teach and I just had a dream about it last night and it confirmed to me to give it up! You'll be much happier when you get out of that situation. One less stressful thing on your list. Learn to say no without guilt. Just say no, just say no...repeat. You'll get things back under control again. And in the meantime, you can just spill it all out and we'll be happy to listen.

    By Blogger Passionate Quilter, at 2/26/2006 06:43:00 AM  

  • Your blogs are balm for my soul! Never boring! It's comforting to know there's someone else out there who misses 'home' as much as I do!! As beat up and battered as home is! I'm so homesick.

    And good for you for saying no. As Mom would say, "Let's hold hands and do it together! It won't hurt so much then!" Well, okay, she was talking about getting our ears pierced, but it's always easier to do hard things when you can bump the thoughts off of friends!

    xoxox
    Vicky

    By Blogger Vicky, at 2/26/2006 06:47:00 AM  

  • I agree-no blog is boring-it is all about our day to day stuff that builds the foundation of friendship and getting to know each other. My favorite post is a day in the life...what is your typical day? really. great that you finally said no to the teaching thing-and I hope you can keep the lid on the decrease in quilting for others too!

    By Blogger Cher, at 2/26/2006 07:06:00 AM  

  • I love hearing about your life, Judy...about your mustangs...toes in the snow.... Seeing your awesomely designed quilts and your fabulous machine quilting. You're you...and I love ya!

    Take deep breaths and stay strong. And please tell Vince that we all have a very "short trip!"

    By Blogger Darcie, at 2/26/2006 08:31:00 AM  

  • Sometimes the journalling part of blogging weighs us down, when instead it should lift us up. Maybe that's what happened for you after you blogged it. Sounds like you are just shrugging off those other "non-important" things for more things that have a higher priority and then feeling guilty about it. Don't be a superwoman! Follow your heart and say no when you need to, and then don't look back!

    Love the blog - you inspire me to think more about my life, too.

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 2/26/2006 09:43:00 AM  

  • I don't think your blog is boring! I enjoy reading about what you are up to.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 2/26/2006 02:04:00 PM  

  • Oh Judy, Girl, you need a vacation. Only 25 more days! Sometimes things get under our skin and we need to regroup. I don't think you can be "too nice" but it sounds like you need to learn some assertiveness. I do the samples for a quilt shop, too, and the business that generates is staggering- so I just smile and say, "I'm retired." They look at me like I have horns- I'm only 38- but I just smile, again, and walk away. As for teaching the quilting class- teaching is so much fun when things can be arranged properly, but when they're not- yuck. And how can you be quilting and teaching and writing and taking care of life all at the same time? There is only so much you and so much time and while you are one of the busiest people I know- Enough is enough! So you don't worry about telling people- Not at this time. There doesn't need to be explanations, but I'm sure you could give them plenty. and start packing those bags if it makes you feel better! Enjoy all those good things and congratulations on weeding out some of the bad!

    By Blogger Nines, at 2/26/2006 04:44:00 PM  

  • Quilt show in VA? Was that the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival where I was this week?

    So now that you know you aren't meeting you goal to NOT quilt many customer quilts this year are you going to start saying NO?

    Hope you finish February strong and either meet or get closer to meeting the goals you have for the month.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 2/26/2006 06:52:00 PM  

  • I'd say this is going to be a wonderful trip home! The quilt show is a bonus!

    That quilt is SO beautiful! It's still on my to-do list, but seeing it again makes me want to jump right in!

    By Blogger Vicky, at 2/27/2006 05:48:00 AM  

  • Since I was there, (& I think I can say this unbiasedly) with the exception of a very few quilts in the show, your quilt in the booth had better quilting - so there is no wonder why people want you to quilt for them...

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 2/27/2006 06:35:00 AM  

  • There is nothing boring about your life Judy ! I love reading about all the things you accomplish.
    I always feel a bit cheated when you don't blog daily !!!!!

    By Blogger Patty, at 2/27/2006 08:42:00 AM  

  • Judy since I am new to this blogging I have missed all the chat about your book. Please do tell more, thanks! Laura

    By Blogger Laura, at 2/27/2006 09:54:00 AM  

  • Every week when I send an email to my son, I feel like I have a pretty boring life, too. When I really think about it I realize that my life isn't all that boring. I actually have a pretty great life!!! I am really grateful for the life that I have and though at times I feel like it's a pretty small life, I know that I make a difference to many people. Even if it's just in little ways.

    By Blogger Kairle Oaks, at 2/27/2006 11:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home