Sunshine Quilts

Friday, January 06, 2006

Followups to Yesterday's Post

This is a picture of a quilt I quilted for my friend, Betty, using the Divine Vine panto. On this quilt, I used a King Tut variegated thread (color is Pharoah's Treasure) by Superior Threads. This is the quilt I just finished. It's Elaine's Chaos & Harmony. I used Signature variegated (color tie dye) for this one. Because the quilt is so bright, you can't really see much of the quilting so I'm also posting a picture of the border. The one I'm doing for Karen, I'll use mint green solid thread on the top and bobbin. The quilting isn't going to show up much on top but the backing is solid so I should be able to get a good picture of the panto on the back side. As for as the ice cream maker, I have an old model very similar to the one I'm getting. The old one has almost stopped working and because the unit is sealed and has some kind of refrigerant, it would cost more to get it worked on (if that's even possible) than to get a new machine. The one I currently have is probably at least 10 years old. I had it when we moved to Kentucky (1997) and not sure how long I'd had it before then. The ice cream does not get really hard in most of these machines but it more like a soft serve type. There are so many good recipes and some are more healthy than others (I usually avoid the healthy ones!) :) Any ice cream recipe will work! Any kind of fruit can be used to make sorbet which is basically sugar, water and fruit. Splenda could be used in place of the sugar and some recipes use honey instead of sugar. Both the old and new machines make 1 quarter although there are machines that make more. I'll post here once I've made ice cream in the new machine. Once it gets here, it needs to sit upright for 24 hours before I use it. Fed Ex probably has it standing on its head in the truck and that's not good for them. Judy

7 Comments:

  • Judy,
    This is not actually a comment on today's blog entry. I just noticed your February goals and you have one listed called Buttons & Bows. This wouldn't be the Buttons & Bows taught by Patti Anderson on Quilt University, would it? I took that class last year, and I have that on my list of things to complete this year.

    Marilyn

    By Blogger Marilyn, at 1/06/2006 09:08:00 AM  

  • You're so good to document the thread that you used, Judy. Love your pictured quilts...that "Chaos" one is sure fun!

    I'll bring the coffee to sip on while *we* make your ice cream!!! That's sounds heavenly.

    The only time that I eat ice cream is in the winter...isn't that peculiar? I suppose it's to provide myself with some insulation! ;-) We've never made homemade. Enjoy some for me!!!

    By Blogger Darcie, at 1/06/2006 10:04:00 AM  

  • I WISH I had my Mom's old electric ice cream maker. It was electric, but you still had to use rock salt and ice and it made the BEST-EST icecream ever!!! You are right Judy, the newer machines make a much softer icecream. Still tasty though!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 1/06/2006 10:24:00 AM  

  • yummmmm homemade ice cream. Its cold enough here you could probably ship me some and it wouldn't melt :-)

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 1/06/2006 11:28:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    Old CHAOS & HARMONY! UGH...remember when I spearheaded it on that other MB we met on? Man there were a TON of errors on those directions. I better add that to my UFO list! (sigh)
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1/06/2006 11:41:00 AM  

  • I like the Divine Vine on the TAW. I'm bored with my pantographs and need to buy some new ones. What other ones are your favorites?

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 1/06/2006 12:14:00 PM  

  • Laurie, I do remember when you got the C&H group going. I almost did it but it didn't. Didn't even realize there were problems with the directions.

    Mary, as far as favorite pantos, I like Keryn Emerson's Oriental Cloud, Jodi Beamish's Daisy and the Divine Vine panto.

    Judy

    By Blogger Granny, at 1/06/2006 01:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home