Sunshine Quilts

Saturday, December 31, 2005

2006 is Here!

Ready or not, 2006 is here. Stashquilters, what are your plans for using the stash in January? We're not really going to hold anyone accountable. This is just for fun; I don't want anyone to feel guilty if you make nothing using your stash or if you go on a buying frenzy. But, you all obviously want to use the stash or you wouldn't have joined the stashquilts ring. I've mentioned here before that I'm making a quilt for a chaplain's wife. I started reading the chaplain's "Training for Eternity" blog after reading about it or hearing Hugh Hewitt talk about Chaplain Lewis' blog entry on December 21, 2004 entitled "Mascal". Our family has adopted several soldiers through the Adoptaplatoon program. At the time of the incident Chaplain Lewis wrote about, our adopted soldier was stationed at the area that had been hit. He was a Stryker (Thankfully, he is now home and safe and we received a Christmas card from him this year). So, the whole incident kinda hit home for me. Even though our adopted soldiers are total strangers, I pray for them daily and send as much stuff as I can possibly send. After reading Chaplain Lewis' entry for that day, I just felt he was such a great guy. Then I spent a little more time on his blog and read several entries he had written about his wonderful wife and family. So, to make a very long story (that doesn't need to be long but I talk too much) short, I wrote Chaplain Lewis and told him that I wanted to make his wife a quilt and he told me her favorite colors. I went to the quilt shop, with pattern in hand, bought the fabric, came home and washed it and it is on my January list of things to do. Tonight I was going to start cutting the fabric and for the life of me, I cannot remember which pattern I was going to make. I have spent several hours trying to match up yardage requirements to what I have! Nothing fits!! Patty . . see why I need lists! :) I did get the quilting done on one of the heart quilts. As is often the case, I like the front but I love the back! This quilt (and its companion) will be in the American Quilter magazine so I'm not going to post a picture of the front of it yet. All the fabric from both tops and both backs came from my stash!! I hope you all have a very productive and happy 2006. Judy

11 Comments:

  • Happy New Year, Judy. Don't know what the front of that quilt looks like but I LOVE the back!

    By Blogger Nancy, at 1/01/2006 06:19:00 AM  

  • Judy -

    Make sure you tell us when the magazine comes out so we can all rush out and buy it! WOW - we have a famous friend!

    Hope your new year is wonderful!

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 1/01/2006 06:27:00 AM  

  • Happy New Year Judy! LOVE the quilting!! It sure looks great!!! And as Sarah said, let us know when the magazine is out!

    I also hope you find the pattern you are making for the Chaplain's wife...that is so frustrating!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1/01/2006 07:49:00 AM  

  • The quilting is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the front! Good luck finding the pattern!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 1/01/2006 09:54:00 AM  

  • Wow! I love the quilting. Can't wait to see the quilt.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 1/01/2006 01:37:00 PM  

  • Oh I love it!! It's gorgeous! Can't wait to see it in the magazine!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 1/01/2006 03:43:00 PM  

  • Judy, that is gorgeous. What an inspiration. I have yet to start my daughters white on white wedding quilt, she is married one year now. I would love to include some hearts like that on her quilt

    By Blogger Patty, at 1/01/2006 03:55:00 PM  

  • Happy 2006, Judy! I'm just getting caught up here on blog reading. Looking forward to sharing lots of fun quilty times with the group this year :)

    By Blogger  Jeanne, at 1/02/2006 07:50:00 AM  

  • Love the back - let us know when to look for the magazine!

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 1/02/2006 11:47:00 AM  

  • The quilting is beautiful. No doubt the piecing will only enhance it.

    By Blogger quiltpixie, at 1/02/2006 06:03:00 PM  

  • Just stopped by to see what you are up to, Judy. Happy New Year!

    Hey, my longarm is supposed to ship tomorrow! :-)

    By Blogger Deb Geyer, at 1/03/2006 12:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home