Sunshine Quilts

Friday, November 04, 2005

Sewing Machines on Parade

Nines asked to see pictures and I'm such an accommodating kinda girl! :) They're all old . . nothing new and fancy but here are most of them: This is the Bernina 1230. I keep it set up, with the walking foot for sewing binding. I think I bought it in 1990. It was a pretty traumatic time in my life. We (ex-husband and I) had just built my dream home -- a purple Victorian. It looked so authentic that people would stop and ask us how we had managed to move a house that size. The house was almost 2 years old and he came home one day and announced that we were moving to Jasper, TX. OMG! Anyway, sold my favorite house in the whole world to the first person who looked at it and moved to Jasper, TX. Not a happy time so the sewing machine, big cutting table and serger were a peace offering from the husband. You might notice the Ursula sticker on the sewing machine. Chad was 3 at the time and he's now 18. I love having that sticker on there. The Singer 301 is my absolute favorite machine. I do all my piecing when I'm at home on the machine on the left.It is just a little bigger than the FW but still light enough to carry around. I think it weighs about 11 pounds. It comes with a little case kinda similar to the FW but larger and opens differently. Anyway, the one on the left is a mocha/tan. The one on the right is just mocha. They also make a black one and I think it looks like a little locomotive and I would love to have one of those but . . I don't have one yet. I have another mocha/tan one in the car in its portable case because I used it in a class Saturday and have another class next week. And, there's another plain tan one at home. Last but not least are the Featherweights. They're cute but not my favorite for sewing. Nothing wrong with them but I like the 301's so much better. Notice the green one? There are a couple of Centennial models in there too. There's another FW at home and I keep on in Louisiana so I don't have to haul a sewing machine with me every time I go home. So, now you have it . .almost all the sewing machines I have accumulated. Judy L.

6 Comments:

  • Love seeing your machines ! Awesome to have them to share. And I did want to thank you again for helping me with the side bar. The directions were PERFECT..it took alot of looking on my part, but I finally managed to do it. Even added more of the Mavericks to my side bar. Don't know why the last few spaced like that...as I entered one after the other..oh well.

    Now to decide how and what to add as I reduce my stash...*VBG*
    Thanks again !!!

    By Blogger Finn, at 11/04/2005 07:16:00 AM  

  • Judyl- thanks so much for sharing! I'm thinkin' that your sewing machines constitute a stash of their own- of which we may have to crown you queen! I am in the market for a "new" machine and your descriptions were very helpful. I had never heard of a Singer 301- now I have to visit the old man down the road who sells sewing machines and take one for a test drive. I'm sorry about the purple Victorian. Life ain't fair.

    By Blogger Nines, at 11/04/2005 08:23:00 AM  

  • Hey everybody...Judy has lots of machines...and lots of fabric...lets all go over to her house tomorrow and sew!!!

    Just joking, of course, Judy!

    I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for one of those 301s. The only part that I don't like about going away to sew is the dragging of the machine. And I know about all of those cute little Janomes and stuff...but you got me when you started talking about "mocha!"

    ;-)

    Darcie

    By Blogger Darcie, at 11/04/2005 08:41:00 PM  

  • Darcie, you can come any time you want but . . if you can wait til Monday, DH will be out of town, DS will be in school and we can have more fun! :)

    JL

    By Blogger Granny, at 11/04/2005 09:08:00 PM  

  • My mom loves the old singers too.Looks like you've got a HERD OF THEM!!
    Quilt looks fab too!!!Ive got 2 tops coming up with both poly batts provided by customer....thanks now I'm not dreading it as much!!!When was the sew in again?!!

    By Blogger FatQuarterQuiltFarm, at 11/05/2005 09:34:00 PM  

  • Ohh . wow , You have so many featherweights. I have two both 222k . I just post my favourite at my blog. I can't see it but do you have also a 222k ? I love the design of the featherweight. In future I will make a quilt on that machine :c)

    Lucy

    By Blogger Lucy, at 11/06/2005 08:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home